PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico mayor defends support of fireworks sales

Teh One Who Knocks
07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
By: Joe Vigil, Eyewitness News 4

Fire danger is listed as extreme around parts of New Mexico. The state has seen some very destructive wildfires that have burned homes and threatened others in bosque areas.

That has not stopped the mayor of Peralta from supporting the sale of fireworks. His wife runs a fireworks stand in Valencia County where fire officials said aerial fireworks are sold. Valencia County and other towns and villages nearby have banned the use of aerial fireworks, but there is no such ban in Peralta.

On Monday, Mayor Bryan Olguin told KOB Eyewitness News 4 that he is worried about fire danger.

"I pray to God all the time that there's no fires. I'm praying for rain, so of course I'm concerned." Olguin said.

When we asked why sell fireworks if he's so concerned about fires Olguin said, "I'm selling them because when somebody's starting a fire from fireworks it's usually from irresponsibility. I can't take responsibility for stupidityness."

KOB has learned that there was some recent talk about fireworks restrictions during a recent Peralta town meeting.

Olguin said last year, firecrackers were not sold at the family stand because of elevated fire danger. Regarding restricting certain fireworks this year Olguin said, "We are not in a severe drought condition. We're in a moderate drought condition. So why would the council pass a resolution saying we're in a severe drought condition when we're not?"

Olguin said his wife's stand does not sell bottle rockets. KOB noticed signs telling customers to have water around when lighting fireworks. Signs also told people not to shoot fireworks around the bosque or wildland areas.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
That has not stopped the mayor of Peralta from supporting the sale of fireworks. His wife runs a fireworks stand in Valencia County where fire officials said aerial fireworks are sold.

:orly:

DemonGeminiX
07-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Let's all buy fireworks and go visit Lance!

:demon: