PDA

View Full Version : Snooki Earns $32,000 to Speak at Rutgers University

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2011, 08:44 PM
By Aaron Parsley - People Magazine

http://i.imgur.com/aHDOC.jpg

Snooki, whose novel A Shore Thing was released in January, may not win a Nobel Prize for Literature, but she is earning more money than someone with that honor for speaking at Rutgers University.

The Jersey Shore star headlined an event Thursday called "Inside the Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Studio" at the school in Piscataway, N.J., where 1,000 students heard her talk about fist pumping, her signature hair pouf and the "GTL" lifestyle she lives out on reality TV, the university confirms to PEOPLE. She earned a whopping $32,000.

Her fee was $2,000 more than what the university will pay Nobel prize-winning author of Beloved Toni Morrison, who is booked to speak in a 52,000-seat football stadium at commencement in May.

Rutgers students are split on whether Snooki is worth her fee.

"Such a waste of my money," freshman Dan Oliveto, 18, told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. "If I want to listen to someone talk, they should have something intelligent to say."

(Snooki's advice for Rutgers students: "Study hard, but party harder.")

Others, like pre-med major Abdel-Raouf, 18, found the fee reasonable. "Honestly, I thought they would have paid her more," he said.

While Snooki's appearance was arranged by the student-run Rutgers University Programming Association, which uses mandatory student activity fees included in tuition, Morrison was booked by university officials.

In a statement released by Rutgers Friday, the school said the student-run programming association "made the decision to invite Snooki and her comedy act to the campus based on input from students. No state funds or tuition money are used for these events. The university does not censor the speakers students choose to invite to campus."

Noilly Pratt
04-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I want a new Mustang. Anybody want to give me just $20K? I've been to College and done me lots of book learnin' and such!:mrgreen:

RBP
04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
:facepalm:

Hal-9000
04-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Others, like pre-med major Abdel-Raouf, 18, found the fee reasonable. "Honestly, I thought they would have paid her more," he said.

That's what's wrong with our world today...not that someone paid her to speak, the fact that someone believes she deserves it

Hugh_Janus
04-01-2011, 10:33 PM
:facepalm:that^

I'd say I'm slightly more 8-[ intelligent than her.... I'll speak to a bunch of workshy hippy fops about studying hard and party harder.... for only $20k 8-)

DemonGeminiX
04-01-2011, 10:41 PM
That's what's wrong with our world today...not that someone paid her to speak, the fact that someone believes she deserves it

If the people who paid her didn't think she deserved it, then don't you think she wouldn't have gotten paid to do it in the first place?

Just sayin'.

Hal-9000
04-01-2011, 10:44 PM
huh? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-01-2011, 10:57 PM
huh? :lol:

I took your statement to mean that there was nothing wrong with her getting paid to speak, the only thing wrong was that someone believed she deserved to get paid for speaking. I'm saying those two ideas are one and the same: If people don't believe someone deserves to get paid for doing something, then the someone in question wouldn't get paid to do it in the first place.

So what I'm saying is that it's equally (or even more) wrong that she got paid to speak at all.

My point of view is that anybody can believe in any idea they like, no matter how misguided those ideas may be. That's a fundamental right. The distinction is when actions are made in favor of or based on those misguided ideas, when there's a majority that knows those ideas are wrong.

Sorry, I'm a little philosophical today.

Hal-9000
04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
*passes DGX the Snooktionary*

please use terms from the Bible :lol:

I understand what you're saying....you know my view, that waste of skin gets paid more than a Nobel prize winner.
Ok, I can sorta see the star attraction.But when a supposedly intelligent pre-med student who's there listening takes it
one level further and says he thinks she deserves more....

we're doooooomed :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
*passes DGX the Snooktionary*

please use terms from the Bible :lol:

I understand what you're saying....you know my view, that waste of skin gets paid more than a Nobel prize winner.
Ok, I can sorta see the star attraction.But when a supposedly intelligent pre-med student who's there listening takes it

:lol:

I wonder if there was an actual protest from any of the intelligent people in the graduating class.

Personally, I wouldn't have attended the ceremony.

Hal-9000
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
She visited our town recently, went to a bar for about 20 minutes, stood up and said something like - I wanna fistpump wit all yo bitchez!, signed 20 autographs and bailed.Entrance fee was quite high to get in and it was one of our coldest nights of the year.

I imagine most people there went wtf? That's it?? and I'm sure she was paid waaaaay too much to 'appear'.

stories like that sadden me :lol:

Loser
04-02-2011, 01:00 AM
:facepalm:

This is partly what I feel when I see headlines like this.

Rage and anger are others, but in the end it just boils down to disgust. How fucked up of a world we live in.:|

Hey. Just noticed I have a smiley on here :lol: Kinda brightens up my day a lil'.

:loser:

:lol:

RBP
04-02-2011, 02:06 AM
But when a supposedly intelligent pre-med student who's there listening takes it

You know what they call the person who graduates last in their med school class?

"Doctor"

Arkady Renko
04-04-2011, 11:39 AM
awful, simply awful. If this was some entertainment venue where all they need to do is weigh the cost against the revenue from ticket sales, I'd say it's not my cup of tea but they're free to waste their money and time any way they want. But to use mandatory fess from the students for THIS? If i was a rutgers student I'd ask for some of my money back.

On a related note, I read this weekend that one of the worst contenders ever from the german version of American Idol made over a million euros from arecord deal a few years ago and went on to make several more when he invested most of the record money into stocks with a solar cell company. Un fucking believable...

Joebob034
04-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Great use of tuition money there

Shady
04-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Hey, if I had to use every possible neuron that I had to make a speech to people that are far more intelligent than I, I would expect compensation too.