PDA

View Full Version : Man sets house ablaze while killing spiders with blowtorch

Teh One Who Knocks
07-10-2012, 03:47 PM
By ANTHONY SIINO - Chico Enterprise-Reporter Staff Writer

CHICO — An attempt to remove spider webs ended with a charred home at about 1 p.m. Saturday.

Eiliya Maida used a propane blowtorch to clear cobwebs in the backyard of his 811 Coit Tower Way home before dry plants ignited and started an attic fire, said George Basbous, Maida's brother-in-law. While Maida went into the front yard unaware, Basbous noticed smoke rising from the top of the house.

"And that's when I went crazy," Basbous said.

Maida's wife, Jiana Maida, and their two infant boys were outside by the time the fire had spread, and no injuries were reported.

Basbous called 9-1-1 and emergency responders were dispatched by 12:55 p.m.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze by cutting a hole in the roof to draw the fire upward, said Chief Keith Carter of Chico Fire. Without the hole, the fire would have "mushroomed" and spread farther sideways in the attic.

Damages totaled $25,000 and also left the family displaced because of destroyed electrical wiring, Fire Inspector Marie Fickert said. The family is currently without insurance.

Smoke detectors didn't set off until 5 minutes after Basbous called 9-1-1, most likely because the fire was either outside or above the detectors until smoke reached them, she said.

Five engines and one truck responded — three from the Chico Fire Department and two from Cal Fire — along with a First Responder ambulance and volunteers from Chico Fire Company 1.

The prompt response from firefighters minimized
damages, Fickert said.

"We are so pleased that Chico Fire Station 5 has reopened because that gave us a faster response," she said.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Hahahahahahahahah

Hal-9000
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
"clear cobwebs in the backyard..."

and it lit the attic up?

:lol:

redred
07-10-2012, 07:49 PM
i did the whole blowtorch spider web thing in my old garage ,it was fun and i didn't burn it down

perrhaps
07-10-2012, 07:56 PM
i did the whole blowtorch spider web thing in my old garage ,it was fun and i didn't burn it down

Is there a local PETA Chapter in Bristol? I'd like to rat you out..

redred
07-10-2012, 07:59 PM
:lol: i don't think so

Hal-9000
07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
I just watched Treasure Island last night and they kept talking about getting back to Bristol...

you live by the sea Red?