PDA

View Full Version : CRTC to reassess ruling on unlimited internet access

Godfather
02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
For those of you outside the country or who haven't kept up, Canada's authority on internet usage has, over the past year, began charging people for their bandwidth usage.

They began limiting our bandwidth, asking that we check our usage online :roll: and charging those who go over their limits ranging from 15-200gb/month. The amount of bandwidth given is related to what internet speed you're willing to pay for.

Now, Canada is already well known to pay some of the highest rates for some of the worst/slowest internet in the Western world. Long story short, we already get ripped off on both cellular and internet in this country. Those already struggling to pay the bill to simply have access to something we should almost all have in 2011 are going to suffer, as is anyone who uses the internet to its full potential.

As an example from Shaw - 97$/month gets you 'extreme internet' and 175gb a month. Each additional gb is going to cost your several dollars. For lower speeds, 25$/month gets you 1mbps and just 15gb/month

Most frustratingly, it's not only seedy - but extremely difficult to monitor usage on your own. Asking people to log-on to check inaccurate data counters to see if it's costing them is just some backwards garbage. Some have suggested collectively calling our ISP's on a daily basis asking out current usage to simply overwhelm them - thankfully it doesn't appear it's going to need to be such a grassroots movement any longer.

The backlash against being charged for how much internet we use has been massive. Finally, just the other day, PM Stephen Harper and the Conservative government essentially denounced the CRTC and stated they would force a reversal of usage-based internet billing if it wasn't done on their own. :thumbsup: Finally some logic.

This is great news of course. And I think the principal of Bandwath caps/charging should be discussed!

Anyways, this is the CRTC's response today. Surprise, surprise they're not happy.

-----------------------------------------------------
CRTC to reassess ruling on unlimited internet access

CRTC chairman Konrad von Finckenstein agreed Thursday to give a controversial ruling on user-based Internet billing a fresh look, but told a committee of MPs he stands by the underlying principle that ordinary Canadians shouldn't subsidize heavy Internet users who download myriad movies and video games.

The Conservative government, however, said it would ignore any improvements the Canadian Radiotelevision and Telecommunications Commission has to offer unless the regulator abandons attempts to put caps on Internet use.

Mr. von Finckenstein, who appeared before the House of Commons industry committee, said Internet services are no different than other public utilities, such as natural gas and electricity, and should be priced and delivered accordingly.

"Usage in not unlimited," he said, as he agreed to delay implementation of the regulator's user-based billing ruling by 60 days. "The vast majority of Internet users should not be asked to subsidize a small minority of heavy users."

Within the 60 days, the regulator would conduct a review to ensure consumers and smaller Internet service providers are protected under the rules.

The CRTC ruled last week, after months of consideration, that major Internet-service providers could charge wholesalers that lease bandwidth a rate comparable to what it charges its own customers, minus a 15% discount.

Smaller Internet service providers (ISPs), which use this leased bandwidth, had offered customers packages with unlimited downloads. But they argue the CRTC ruling on user-based billing, or UBB, will force them to impose preset limits or "caps" on the amount of data theirs customers can consume each month before extra fees kick in.

The decision has sparked anger among small ISPs, as well as consumers, small businesses and political parties on the fear households would be hit with higher bills.

Tony Clement, the Industry Minister, told reporters minutes after the end of the CRTC chairman's testimony that he would ignore any attempt to bring in user-based billing. He said the CRTC ruling was, in essence, trying to "force" a uniform business model "down the throats" of every Internet service providers operating in Canada.

"That's where we draw the line, quite frankly," he said. "We believe there should be choice. If an Internet service provider wants to offer unlimited access for a flat fee, they should be allowed to do that in this marketplace.

"The CRTC decision was doing was eliminating that possibility. That's what we found unacceptable."

On the eve of Mr. von Finckenstein's testimony, Mr. Clement used Twitter to tell Canadians the government was prepared to overrule the Internet-billing decision unless the regulator backed down.

The chairman said his decision to review the UBB decision was made hours before Mr. Clement's tweet, and based on requests to delay implementation from BCE Inc. and a small Internet service provider.

He added he didn't know "what the outcome" of his review would be, when pressed by legislators.

"We don't have a monopoly on wisdom," he said. "We will look at the ruling with a fresh set of eyes -- but the principle has to be clear."

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/CRTC+vows+reassess+ruling+user+based+billing/4221613/story.html

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Damn Canadians wanting cheap and fast internet speeds [-(

Godfather
02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Damn Canadians wanting cheap and fast internet speeds [-(

If you read it, you'd know it wasn't about speed [-(

RBP
02-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Why is the government regulating bandwidth in the first place?

Godfather
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Great question :wha:

Noilly Pratt
02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Why is the government regulating bandwidth in the first place?

You hit the nail on the head. Why?

Back before the internet was mainstream, there were just a few select people offering the service (I'm talking 1990 here). The one, BC Systems, was charging astronomical amounts and was doing it on the time you were on because back then we were mainly sending text or just text websites using a thing called Lynx.

I got reprimanded for handing a $100 bill for 1 day's research!

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 06:08 AM
I pay 41 dollars per month for the second tier from the bottom, in four tiers of offered service.

9.5 Mbps down
.5 Mbps up (that's right kids, .5 of a Mbps for high speed cable)

And I'm allotted 75 gigs of bandwidth traffic per month.Like I mentioned to Lance, the don't let you see the monthly tally,
until you go over it, get warned and then they add the meter onto your account listing on their site.

It's completely asinine that the government wants regulate and moderate it, while trying to charge more.

As GF mentioned, we already take it up the hoop for speeds and bandwidth...now they want to eliminate the Vaseline.

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 06:15 AM
EDIT:

I just checked and I'm glad I did.I only get "up to 7.5 Mbps download speed" and my limit is 60 GIGS traffic per month.And then it says - 2 dollars for every gig over the plan limit.

SAY WHAT MUTHA??? When did they slip that little rule in?

http://i.imgur.com/G0If0.jpg

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm composing a nasty email :lol:

Godfather
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Yeah I used to be on the same plan as you... I switched to Telus because they had a great student plan but basically we get killed either way.

They slipped in the bandwidth limit recently. The Conservatives knocking it down is a nice little victory, and a feather in Harper's cap!!

Not that he really needs it... somehow the Libs have found the only Canadian with less persona than Harper: Michael Ignatieff :lol: Impressive almost... decisions, decisions.

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Telus was offering an Xbox or a laptop to sign up :lol:

if I didn't have to put those dorky phoneline connectors on all of the phones I would have told Shaw to go blow

Godfather
02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah I can't remember why I didn't get a free xbox when I signed up :-k

I think you had to go for their TV and internet... but for me it was a fair bit cheaper to go Shaw tv and Telus internet :roll: I tried to get both of them to match the others prices so they'd get all my business. Neither of those stubborn pricks would go for it.

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Now Telus is moving to some fancy new TV/Internet combined thingy...I wasn't eligible for the combined service as my 'hood wasn't ready for the TV portion yet...

I think Shaw still has better speeds than Telus....

I really don't like that new disclaimer.....2 dollars for every extra gig over the monthly.Especially since they don't provide a meter to see where you're at.

Godfather
02-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah I had the basic Shaw internet last year and it was faster than Telus' basic. I think Shaw's was 7.5mbps and Telus' is 6mbps :wha: The speed is noticeably slower but it was considerably cheaper

My girlie had the combined TV/internet from Telus.... she just chose her TV channels as opposed to getting stock channels. It was strange, and going over there was hell :lol: No Sportsnet, No TSN, just food channels and TLC

I hope this whole regulated bandwidth bullshit is gone in a few weeks... 3$/gig is horseshit.

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 07:32 PM
the funny thing is I can as high as 20Mbps download at times :lol:

lemme giver a test right now in the middle of a Saturday afternoon...

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
:lol:

almost 20 on 7.5 download service and there's the crappy upload speed, almost dead on 1/2 of a fricken Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1144440204.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Godfather
02-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah damn that's good... a lot faster than I ever get than I got when I had the same Shaw plan as you do.

I'm still using the stock modem/router 2-in-one Telus gave me when I signed up. I really should get a decent router, that's probably what's slowing me up so much

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I notice it when I'm downl--getting Netflix materials....

I'm supposed to be getting the 7.5 and it does seem like triple the speed at times

Godfather
02-05-2011, 07:46 PM
You're a HAXOR :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2011, 07:57 PM
:lol:

almost 20 on 7.5 download service and there's the crappy upload speed, almost dead on 1/2 of a fricken Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1144440204.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1144468551.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

8-[

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 08:02 PM
just had to walk up and kick me in the nutz, didn't you Lance :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I pay for it though...and my bandwidth is capped, although not by the gov't like you guys.

And $2/gig over your limit with no way to monitor it? That's BS

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I pay for it though...and my bandwidth is capped, although not by the gov't like you guys.

And $2/gig over your limit with no way to monitor it? That's BS

yes but capped at what? 250 gigs/month? :lol:

I don't know if you read back but until recently I was getting my speeds along with 75 gigs per month.Just checked last night and now it's 60 gigs per month with the 2 dollar/gig overage caveat thrown in...

no announcement or email to me the user....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, mine is 250 gigs/month 8-[

But Comcast did the same thing to us...my usage was unlimited then one day I was reading the Comcast TOS on internet usage and they slid that cap in there without any notice :wha:

Hal-9000
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Even with our most expensive package we get 175 gigs per month and 3 Mbps upload....man they sure keep that bit throttled down.Canadians can't share....

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Even with our most expensive package we get 175 gigs per month and 3 Mbps upload....man they sure keep that bit throttled down.Canadians can't share....

I really don't understand the logic in throttling upload speeds :wha:

Even with mine, why can I get 60 down, but only 10 up?

Godfather
02-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Who cares about up :lol: I don't seed shit, there are other nerds who will do that for me :P

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Who cares about up :lol: I don't seed shit, there are other nerds who will do that for me :P

I'm not talking about seeding torrents :slap:

I need speed to upload stuff to filesharing sites :x