PDA

View Full Version : Family Returns Home After Months Away, Finds People Living In House

Teh One Who Knocks
07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
CBS 4 Denver

LITTLETON (CBS4) – A judge in Arapahoe County gave a Littleton family permission to move back in to their home after squatters took possession and lived there for eight months.

The illegal occupants of the home were given 48 hours to leave the premises after their claim to occupy the home by “adverse possession” was shot down in court.

After 12 years living on Mabre Court in Littleton, Troy Donovan got a job with a racing team in Indiana. Donovan left Colorado in March, 2011, his wife Dayna and their two children followed a few months later in August. After months of trying to sell the house, the Donovan’s winterized their home, turned off the utilities, and left for Indiana.

The Donovans say their plan was always to return to Colorado. But that turned out to be quite difficult. While still in Indiana, the Donovan’s former neighbors on Mabre Court told them people were living in their house.

Donovan recalls asking the occupants to leave when they returned to Littleton.

“We show up at the house and we say ‘Look, I’m Troy Donovan, this is my wife Dayna, we own this home,’ ” he told CBS4.

The people inside wouldn’t budge, so the Donovans were forced to move into a relative’s basement in Greeley.

The people living inside, Veronica Fernandez-Beleta and Jose Rafael Leyva-Caraveo, claimed they bought the home. They told Littleton police they paid a man named Alfonso Carillo $5,000 for some legal paperwork called a deed of “adverse possession.”

Carillo is a former realtor whose license has been revoked. Carillo also faces criminal charges in Denver and has been connected to a string of homes occupied by squatters up and down the Front Range. The homes vary in size and price, but all have connections to Carillo through various court documents CBS4 has obtained.

After seeing previous CBS4 stories on stolen homes, the Donovans confronted the people living in their home.

“I told her ‘What you’re doing is wrong, it’s illegal. I would really like you to move out of the home or we will take legal action against you,’ ” said Dayna Donovan.

On Thursday a judge ordered that the Donovans get their home back.

Fernandez-Beleta told CBS4 in Spanish, “I am sad and confused and distressed.”

The Donovans say they are thankful they can finally return home.

“We get to get out of the basement, get a full home to live in,” Dayna said. “A home we created and worked very hard in as well.”

Acid Trip
07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
They are lucky they weren't squatting in a Texas home.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Is this your plan for getting a home lance?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Si senor

Godfather
07-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Man I have a great personal story about squatters in my college house :lol: Don't have time to type it now, but I will at some point

FBD
07-13-2012, 04:15 PM
seriously? If this happened to me I would return with a shotgun and the fkn squatters would have all of twenty minutes to pick up whatever shit they can grab at gunpoint and GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hal-9000
07-13-2012, 04:18 PM
that squatting 'rule' has always mystified me...a home owner should be able to leave his home for 10 years and come back to find it in the exact same state it was left in. As in, no new people living there :lol:

FBD
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
my neighbor would be instructed to leave a note, I will be home in two days, if you're not gone by then you will be forcibly removed. then show up a day early. what fkn asshole thinks they can buy a HOUSE for five thousand bucks!?!

:lol: pussies..."I'd really like you to move out of my house" :lol: sir, you left your BALLS in indiana...

Acid Trip
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
seriously? If this happened to me I would return with a shotgun and the fkn squatters would have all of twenty minutes to pick up whatever shit they can grab at gunpoint and GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how quickly people will move with a gun pointed at them :demon:

Hal-9000
07-13-2012, 05:22 PM

If I had the gun they would be doing some cleaning, painting and wallpapering before they left too :lol:

Godfather
07-14-2012, 01:23 AM

20 minutes :lol: Damn dude you're a nice guy. I wouldn't give them half that. Their shit = my shit. Call it square for the cost of hiring Molly Maid to clean their squatter filth off my couches.

Southern Belle
07-14-2012, 05:38 AM
that squatting 'rule' has always mystified me...a home owner should be able to leave his home for 10 years and come back to find it in the exact same state it was left in. As in, no new people living there :lol:

Um yeah! Just because I'm not home doesn't make my house up for grabs. How stupid is that?

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Adverse possession is legal, if the squatters can reside at the residence during the lawfully prescribed time uncontested by the lawful owners. It actually goes all the way back to common law.

Georgia law says that if squatters are able to occupy a residence uncontested by the legal owner for an uninterrupted period of 7 years, then they can legally be named the new owners of the property when the 7 year period has passed. Note the word "uninterrupted": If the squatters get kicked out by the legal owner and they come back and reinhabit the house a week later, the timer has reset to zero. So if they were in the house for 6 years, 11 months and 29 days, that time has absolutely no meaning in a court of law after they've been kicked out. If and when they begin squatting at the residence again, they're back at 0 years, 0 months, 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds of adverse possession.

Georgia law also says that a homeowner may defend himself, his family, and his property against aggressors with lethal force if deemed necessary. Yep, we're a "stand your ground" state.

;)

When the housing market turned sour, there were a bunch of news stories popping up in affluent neighborhoods where houses that were in foreclosure were being squatted in by families... black families actually (call me racist if you want, but it was always a black family in the news story). The news crew would show up and try to talk to these people and ask them why they felt they had a right to live there when they hadn't purchased the house. The banks would be notified by the news agency the same day and the banks would call the police and have the families ejected from the property (they're not evicted, the process is actually called ejection). One time, the news reporter actually did a live report as the police monitored a family moving their shit out of the house. It was a pretty incredulous thing to watch.

FBD
07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
well, you cant evict someone that dont live there. ejection ftw! :thumbsup:

Southern Belle
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Stand your ground ftw!