PDA

View Full Version : Teachers union members outraged, OUTRAGED when told that they must pass tests on subjects they are "teaching" to children

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2012, 02:02 PM
WFTV Channel 9

First, it was the tough, new Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test for students. Now it will be tougher tests for teachers.

Florida wants teachers to get higher grades on certification exams for some subjects, like chemistry and health.

But WFTV's Racquel Asa learned that the move could hurt districts because certain subjects, particularly involving science, are already hard to recruit for.

Andrew Spar represents the 4,400 teachers in Volusia County. He said the new standards don't guarantee the best teachers.

"What's worse, in my opinion, is having a classroom that has a substitute because we haven't been able to get a teacher who is certified and capable of being in that classroom," said Spar.

Last year more than 1,000 people passed the certification test to teach biology in grades six through 12. With the new standards, only 250 are expected to make the grade.

Richard Sharkey's daughter will have to take those tough tests before taking a job in Titusville.

"We need to make sure the students that are coming up through, they are teachers they can really look up to and respect their knowledge," said Sharkey.

Spar said he hopes they'll have those teachers to begin with.

"I don't think it's getting at what they're trying to do, which is get the best teachers in the classroom," said Spar.

If the Florida Department of Education approves the tougher standards for teachers, they will go into effect in September.

Southern Belle
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Why do you need a union when you work for the government?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Why should teachers be required to know wtf they are talking about

FBD
07-18-2012, 04:18 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
07-18-2012, 04:47 PM
:rofl:

Acid Trip
07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
:vuvu:

Noilly Pratt
07-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Why do you need a union when you work for the government?

Because some governments tear up previous agreements, try to demote your pay, and take away your benefits...I nearly had this done to me years ago, but the Union stepped in and said it was unfair.

Governments (in Canada at least) do not care one bit about their workers except for the executives. They did their best to yank my pension away because I was privatized, but I worked for them for 15 years, so it carried over because of the union's intervention.

But, on this issue, I kinda think teachers better know what they're talking about before teaching. The union shouldn't be involved here.

Hugh_Janus
07-18-2012, 09:49 PM
whats weird over here is that my mother can teach university students, but not secondary school kids because she doesn't have an "A" level (qualification, not a grade) in english

Hal-9000
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
whats weird over here is that my mother can teach university students, but not secondary school kids because she doesn't have an "A" level (qualification, not a grade) in english

Your ma is a school marm? :shock:

who woulda thunk it :lol:

minz
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM

Did she not have to study for a Cert Ed degree?

Hugh_Janus
07-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Your ma is a school marm? :shock:

who woulda thunk it :lol:

no, she's.... well, I don't catually know what she does, buit she's like some sort of R&D type of lab person or something. The last thing she worked on was this bandage-y stuff for burns that was a bit like cotton wool until it came in contact with moisture (that weeping shit from the wounds), then it turned into a weird gel type stuff so it didn't get mixed up in the scabs. It was weird, but pretty cool stuff

Hugh_Janus
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Did she not have to study for a Cert Ed degree?

she had an "0" level english, so she got into college where she got the qualifications she needed to get into uni and she does have a PhD :lol:

minz
07-18-2012, 10:12 PM
no, she's.... well, I don't catually know what she does, buit she's like some sort of R&D type of lab person or something. The last thing she worked on was this bandage-y stuff for burns that was a bit like cotton wool until it came in contact with moisture (that weeping shit from the wounds), then it turned into a weird gel type stuff so it didn't get mixed up in the scabs. It was weird, but pretty cool stuff

Ah right, so she works in research? They do some really cool stuff in the Uni's

I had to take a Cert Ed and assessors awards and that was just to teach in College so I would imagine Uni to be even more stingent.

minz
07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
she had an "0" level english, so she got into college where she got the qualifications she needed to get into uni and she does have a PhD :lol:

Yeah thats more like it :lol: I figured she must have to have quite a high qual to be doing what she does.

Hal-9000
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Hugh was created in petri dish by a Mum with a mysterious career

Hugh_Janus
07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
that would explain why I don't have a belly button :-k

minz
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Hugh was created in petri dish by a Mum with a mysterious career