PDA

View Full Version : Buyers flock to gun stores in Colorado after rampage

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2012, 08:10 PM
http://crap4facepolitics.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/huge-gun1.jpg

Background checks -- the first step toward the purchase of a gun in Colorado -- jumped 43% in the aftermath of a shooting rampage in Aurora that killed 12 people last Friday, The Denver Post reports.

Firearms instructors also note increased interest in the training required for obtaining a concealed-carry permit.

"It's been insane," Jake Meyers, an employee at Rocky Mountain Guns and Ammo in Parker, tells The Post.

The newspaper, quoting the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, says the 2,887 background checks sought by people interested in buying a firearm between Friday and Monday represent a 43% jump over the same period the previous week.

Arizona experienced a similar jump in gun sales following a mass shooting in Tucson in January 2011 that left six people dead and 12 injured, including then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Bloomberg news reports that, according to FBI data, handgun sales in Arizona on the Monday after the weekend shooting spiked 60% over the same day the previous year.

Lambchop
07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
wow

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:27 PM
:popcorn:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Doesnt look like it will happen again

minz
07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
:popcorn:

:steal:

Goofy
07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Doesnt look like it will happen again

Why not? All it takes is one nutcase........ that's the reason gun laws were tightened to the max in the UK after the Dunblane massacre

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:31 PM
:steal:

:sad2:

minz
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Awwwwe you can have it back then :popcorn:

minz
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Think it might be empty though :d

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
don't want it :hand: [-(

minz
07-24-2012, 08:39 PM
don't want it :hand: [-(

Fine, dont say I didn't offer. [-(

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:41 PM
you offered an empty box.... further strengthening the case that all girls are evil [-(

minz
07-24-2012, 08:43 PM
you offered an empty box.... further strengthening the case that all girls are evil [-(

And? I still gave it back :lol:

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
eeeeeeeevil :d

minz
07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
:d

minz
07-24-2012, 08:47 PM
eeeeeeeevil :d

Look at it this way...

You shared your popcorn with me so I share the empty box with you, see, sharing. :d

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:47 PM
:willy:

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:48 PM
:willie:

Hugh_Janus
that's better :lol:

minz
:lol: :haha:

Muddy
Look at it this way...

You shared your popcorn with me so I share the empty box with you, see, sharing. :d

Will you share your box with me?

:coat:

Hugh_Janus
07-24-2012, 08:49 PM
you talking to me or minz? I didn't want to say anything, it was too easy ::d

FBD
07-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Why not? All it takes is one nutcase........ that's the reason gun laws were tightened to the max in the UK after the Dunblane massacre

That's why we safeguarded from that screwup in our constitution :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
great....so now even more people will be armed in a heightened state of fear and the next time someone goes into their jacket for a kleenex, they'll get perforated by Auntie Martha who just got her concealed gun permit

well I guess it will give us more stories to chat about....

Pony
07-24-2012, 09:41 PM
:willy:

Is that what the hole in the bottom of the bucket was for?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
great....so now even more people will be armed in a heightened state of fear and the next time someone goes into their jacket for a kleenex, they'll get perforated by Auntie Martha who just got her concealed gun permit

well I guess it will give us more stories to chat about....

Hahahah. Yep that's what will happen

Lambchop
07-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Just put one grandpa with a concealed carry permit in every public venue and live happy.

minz
07-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Is that what the hole in the bottom of the bucket was for?

Nope, thats reserved for his toy ponies :d

Hal-9000
07-24-2012, 09:53 PM
the cool thing about High Noon was that there were only 8 people participating.....not 200000 :lol:

Them streets gonna run red with blood I reckon....yep

Hal-9000
07-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Look folks, I have to clarify something.

I understand the need to stand up to bullies...and that's what these shitstains are to me who go into crowded areas and waste random innocent people...they are cowardly bullies.

I understand the need to want to protect yourself and your family. I live with my father who will be 80 this year and my mother, who is an invalid. If someone broke into our house at night, I would not hesitate to grab the first thing I could get my hands on (seriously, I will go Jackie Chan on anyone's ass when threatened...) whether it be a coffee table, lamp, book.....whatever.

So it brings me to this question. I've always tried to imagine in a real world scenario, how a gunfight would go down. I'll give you two scenarios:

You're out walking with your family or lover on the street and some dickwad accosts you brandishing a gun. You have a gun concealed in your pocket. Do you try to go for the quick draw and shoot him? My question is serious.

Second scenario...you're at home and are in one of two states. You're either sleeping or awake. Someone breaks into your house. By the time you see or hear evidence of it, he's inside already. If you're a responsible gun owner your firearm is stored in a secure place, not loaded.

So real time....guy is in your house and you're on the couch watching American Idol. Do you go to where the gun is, load it and then seek out the intruder? Same question if you're asleep.You need to get that firearm in your hands pronto because the intruder will not wait...

Do you actually draw down on the guy and will you have enough time?

Dovah
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
It's an interesting point. When I think of the usefulness of c&c it's more like, you're off to the side and whoever is shooting up the place hasn't seen you yet so you whip out your gun and shoot him while you can. Or if you're in a gas station and someone's trying to rob it and you're in an aisle and you sneak up and put the gun to his head. Basically c&c works best when you're not the direct victim.

Hal-9000
07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
It's an interesting point. When I think of the usefulness of c&c it's more like, you're off to the side and whoever is shooting up the place hasn't seen you yet so you whip out your gun and shoot him while you can. Or if you're in a gas station and someone's trying to rob it and you're in an aisle and you sneak up and put the gun to his head. Basically c&c works best when you're not the direct victim.

I saw part of a home video when Columbine happened. The interesting thing that occurs during a random shooting like that is people don't fully understand or believe what's actually happening. Most people are looking around, trying to assess the situation because it's too shocking to conceive that some just walked into your Starbucks and started capping people.It all happens so fast...

I think about the example you posted above a lot. You're a guy with a firearm and you do witness someone being shot right in front of you. It's not a movie, it's not a promo thing for a movie or the like....it's people getting hurt, right now. I bet it takes a lot of cognitive effort to analyze the situation quickly (and efficiently) and then pull out your gun and shoot the bad guys.

Like grandpa from the video posted in the other section, that...to me.....would be a lawful use of citizens using guns for a greater good. To stop death and injury. But is the Average Joe trained to make that most serious decision on the spot? What if he's confused and hits a plainclothes cop or other authority. You have to make some important calls within seconds...

Dovah
07-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I saw part of a home video when Columbine happened. The interesting thing that occurs during a random shooting like that is people don't fully understand or believe what's actually happening. Most people are looking around, trying to assess the situation because it's too shocking to conceive that some just walked into your Starbucks and started capping people.It all happens so fast...

I think about the example you posted above a lot. You're a guy with a firearm and you do witness someone being shot right in front of you. It's not a movie, it's not a promo thing for a movie or the like....it's people getting hurt, right now. I bet it takes a lot of cognitive effort to analyze the situation quickly (and efficiently) and then pull out your gun and shoot the bad guys.

Like grandpa from the video posted in the other section, that...to me.....would be a lawful use of citizens using guns for a greater good. To stop death and injury. But is the Average Joe trained to make that most serious decision on the spot? What if he's confused and hits a plainclothes cop or other authority. You have to make some important calls within seconds...

It's true, not everyone is fit for gun ownership, and fewer for c&c. I wonder if anyone was carrying in theater at the time of the shooting. It would be interesting to hear what was going through their head. I haven't heard any reports on anyone fighting back, so if there were any guns in the theater they kept them holstered.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
It's true, not everyone is fit for gun ownership, and fewer for c&c. I wonder if anyone was carrying in theater at the time of the shooting. It would be interesting to hear what was going through their head. I haven't heard any reports on anyone fighting back, so if there were any guns in the theater they kept them holstered.

The theater was a "No Gun Zone" so legal citizens were prohibited from carrying a legal weapon in the theater.

Dovah
07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
The theater was a "No Gun Zone" so legal citizens were prohibited from carrying a legal weapon in the theater.

Well then all those flocking to buy guns wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway, eh?

RBP
07-24-2012, 11:35 PM
pew pew

FBD
07-25-2012, 01:23 AM
I wonder if anyone was carrying in theater at the time of the shooting. It would be interesting to hear what was going through their head. I haven't heard any reports on anyone fighting back, so if there were any guns in the theater they kept them holstered.

unconscionable!

Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon:
A good fight should be like a small play - but played seriously.
A good martial artist does not become tense - but ready.
Not thinking, yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come.
When the opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand.
And when there is an opportunity,

I do not hit.

It hits all by itself.

and such is the defensive use of a firearm - the situation is not looked for, but awareness of one's surroundings will call for the usage when appropriate. it is a moral application of "go ahead...just give me a reason" - not that one looks for any opportunity to use the firearm, kill a human or animal - but when faced with certain situations, the application of deadly force is appropriate and sometimes the decision is appropriate to be made immediately - like these mass murder situations where a situation is already in progress.

also, the appropriate application, like in the knife article earlier - the pointing of the gun and the prepared threat of lethal force was sufficient deterrent...

and I'm pretty darn sure that guy was very glad he didnt have to squeeze that trigger.

these are the lawful, appropriate applications of private citizens protecting one another.

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2012, 02:55 AM
pew pew

http://i.imgur.com/pIElo.gif

KevinD
07-25-2012, 02:56 AM

I understand the need to stand up to bullies...and that's what these shitstains are to me who go into crowded areas and waste random innocent people...they are cowardly bullies.

I understand the need to want to protect yourself and your family. I live with my father who will be 80 this year and my mother, who is an invalid. If someone broke into our house at night, I would not hesitate to grab the first thing I could get my hands on (seriously, I will go Jackie Chan on anyone's ass when threatened...) whether it be a coffee table, lamp, book.....whatever.

So it brings me to this question. I've always tried to imagine in a real world scenario, how a gunfight would go down. I'll give you two scenarios:

You're out walking with your family or lover on the street and some dickwad accosts you brandishing a gun. You have a gun concealed in your pocket. Do you try to go for the quick draw and shoot him? My question is serious.

Second scenario...you're at home and are in one of two states. You're either sleeping or awake. Someone breaks into your house. By the time you see or hear evidence of it, he's inside already. If you're a responsible gun owner your firearm is stored in a secure place, not loaded.

So real time....guy is in your house and you're on the couch watching American Idol. Do you go to where the gun is, load it and then seek out the intruder? Same question if you're asleep.You need to get that firearm in your hands pronto because the intruder will not wait...

Hal asks some very good questions. I can only speak for myself in answering.
In the home scenario, (as given, not as would be in my home) you have to make a conscious decision to go for the gun. The (in some areas) requirements that guns be key locked and or in safes, does in fact hinder your ability to access one when needed. These requirement were brought about by failure to understand the usages of a weapon, IE, leaving loaded weapons around where people who are not trained in usage could access them.
In my home, there is a loaded weapon in the living room (40cal semi auto pistol) and in the bedroom (44-40 lever action rifle)
I don't have any particular fear of my home being invaded, and my dogs would be first line of defense/warning at any rate.
My family is trained in the usage and operation of my weapons. When folks (with or without kids) come over who are not, then the guns are put away in a safe.
We don't play with them as toys. If one comes out, something (or somebody) will be shot.
This is a product of being raised this way and of being in the Military.

Second scenario:
Again, difficult situation, hard to give a blanket answer. First response would probably be to give person what they are asking for (my wallet is not worth mine or my family's life) On the other hand, if I felt there was a real danger to myself or loved ones. I would shoot with no hesitation, nor any regret.

I answered as honestly as I could. I will always try to avoid a confrontation/fight/whatever, but given no other choice, I will respond with the maximum force necessary to resolve the issue at hand.

RBP
07-25-2012, 03:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pIElo.gif

http://i.imgur.com/3cyFp.gif

FBD
07-25-2012, 12:03 PM

If someone's already got a gun drawn on you, it is definitely NOT the time to go for yours. What's a wallet compared to life? Nothing.

Breakins...it depends on the situation - is the perp in between you and your gun? Probably need to seek other means. Is the gun a bit out of the way but you can still get to it without an encounter? Absolutely, go for it. It really depends on what the intruder is there for - if he's there to murder you, that's an entirely different thing than if he's there to maybe find your safe and steal yer jewlz. Does he know you have a gun, is he going to come point his at you before going for the safe...that's why its important to know what needs to be done so that reflexes can assist - the better your training, the more they kick in when the rest of your mind is sitting there going wtf this does not compute! :)

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3cyFp.gif

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/lasers-pew-pew-348js051010.jpg

8-[

Muddy
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2MWNr.jpg

:d

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/06/11/pew%20pew.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2012, 01:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nxo6z.jpg

Acid Trip
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM

1) Do not draw your weapon. Give the person what they want and feel free to draw as they coward runs away. They will survive a couple bullets to the back of the legs.

2) It's offensive to say "you're a responsible gun owner your gun is stored in a secure place, not loaded". The safest place my gun can be is on my person. It's loaded and with me at all times when it's legal to carry. When I'm asleep it's loaded on my nightstand. My wife and I both know how to properly use guns and we have no children.

3) My gun is always on me so this scenario doesn't apply.

Hal-9000
07-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Hal asks some very good questions. I can only speak for myself in answering.
In the home scenario, (as given, not as would be in my home) you have to make a conscious decision to go for the gun. The (in some areas) requirements that guns be key locked and or in safes, does in fact hinder your ability to access one when needed. These requirement were brought about by failure to understand the usages of a weapon, IE, leaving loaded weapons around where people who are not trained in usage could access them.
In my home, there is a loaded weapon in the living room (40cal semi auto pistol) and in the bedroom (44-40 lever action rifle)
I don't have any particular fear of my home being invaded, and my dogs would be first line of defense/warning at any rate.
My family is trained in the usage and operation of my weapons. When folks (with or without kids) come over who are not, then the guns are put away in a safe.
We don't play with them as toys. If one comes out, something (or somebody) will be shot.
This is a product of being raised this way and of being in the Military.

Second scenario:
Again, difficult situation, hard to give a blanket answer. First response would probably be to give person what they are asking for (my wallet is not worth mine or my family's life) On the other hand, if I felt there was a real danger to myself or loved ones. I would shoot with no hesitation, nor any regret.

I answered as honestly as I could. I will always try to avoid a confrontation/fight/whatever, but given no other choice, I will respond with the maximum force necessary to resolve the issue at hand.

thanks Kev

Hal-9000
07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
If someone's already got a gun drawn on you, it is definitely NOT the time to go for yours. What's a wallet compared to life? Nothing.

Breakins...it depends on the situation - is the perp in between you and your gun? Probably need to seek other means. Is the gun a bit out of the way but you can still get to it without an encounter? Absolutely, go for it. It really depends on what the intruder is there for - if he's there to murder you, that's an entirely different thing than if he's there to maybe find your safe and steal yer jewlz. Does he know you have a gun, is he going to come point his at you before going for the safe...that's why its important to know what needs to be done so that reflexes can assist - the better your training, the more they kick in when the rest of your mind is sitting there going wtf this does not compute! :)

thank you sir

Hal-9000
07-25-2012, 02:10 PM
1) Do not draw your weapon. Give the person what they want and feel free to draw as they coward runs away. They will survive a couple bullets to the back of the legs.

2) It's offensive to say "you're a responsible gun owner your gun is stored in a secure place, not loaded". The safest place my gun can be is on my person. It's loaded and with me at all times when it's legal to carry. When I'm asleep it's loaded on my nightstand. My wife and I both know how to properly use guns and we have no children.

3) My gun is always on me so this scenario doesn't apply.

it's offensive to say.....:lol: really? Interesting response, thanks

Hal-9000
07-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Okay, from just the last 3 responses I've gleaned that some gun owners will have the weapons in their home but won't go for the gunfight at the OK corral scenario...I agree, your wallet or TV is not worth someone getting hurt.

FBD
07-25-2012, 10:10 PM
that's because we respect that the business end rains fucking hellfire :dance: with great power, great responsibility.

KevinD
07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Exactly. I never said (seriously at any rate, who know what I've said in a drunken stupor, lol) that I would pull a gun and start firing for no reason. Rest assured that in fact, If I ever pull a gun out (other than for transport) It WILL be shot. It's a tool of last resort, not first. Last line of defense.

Hal-9000
07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Exactly. I never said (seriously at any rate, who know what I've said in a drunken stupor, lol) that I would pull a gun and start firing for no reason. Rest assured that in fact, If I ever pull a gun out (other than for transport) It WILL be shot. It's a tool of last resort, not first. Last line of defense.

shooting a gun into the air outside on New Year's Eve perhaps????? :rolleyes:

not that I'm keeping track or anything :lol:

KevinD
07-26-2012, 12:01 AM
To the best of my knowledge, I've never actually done that, lol, May have joked about it, but not actually done it.

RBP
07-26-2012, 12:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/eSHHN.gif

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2012, 01:13 AM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/22sw37swsw87.gif

PorkChopSandwiches
07-26-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/4/fatty-pew-pew-pew.gif

Acid Trip
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Exactly.

In all my years of gun ownership I've never even pointed my gun at someone. Loaded or unloaded doesn't matter. The day I point it at someone is the day I use it for real.

Griffin
07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
I can't wait till the zombie apocalypse starts. I see idiots every day in dire need of a shot to the head.

MrsM
07-26-2012, 04:10 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/opa2s3.jpg