PDA

View Full Version : Police use pepper spray on Colorado second grader

Teh One Who Knocks
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Written by Jeffrey Wolf - 9 News Colorado

LAKEWOOD - When most kids throw a temper tantrum, they get time out. In 8-year-old Aidan's case, he got pepper sprayed.

A Lakewood Police report details the second grader's violent temper tantrum in a classroom at Glennon Heights Elementary on Feb. 22.

According to the report, Aidan "was climbing the cart and spitting at teachers. He also broke wood trim off the walls and was trying to stab teachers with it."

"I wanted to make something sharp if they came out because I was so mad at them," Aidan said. "I was going to try to whack them with it."

The report goes on to say Aidan, "was holding what looked like a sharpened one foot stick and he screamed, 'Get away from me you f---ers.'"

Lakewood Police officers ordered the 8-year-old to "drop the stick." When he refused, they sprayed him with pepper spray twice until he dropped the piece of wood and was handcuffed.

According to the police report, the boy was later treated on the scene for "a red, irritated face."

Aidan's mother Mandy, whose last name 9NEWS has chosen not to disclose, believes the Lakewood Police officers should have handled the situation differently. She says police were called on her son at school twice before, and both times the officers were able to talk to her son and calm him down.

"I'm sure what he was doing wasn't right, but he's 8 years old," Mandy said. "They walked in, asked him to drop the stick, and then sprayed him with the spray... I think it's excessive."

Lakewood Police spokesman Steve Davis defended the officers' decision to use pepper spray on the boy, calling it the safest option considering the circumstances.

"You've got teachers barricading themselves in a room. They are obviously frightened," Davis said. "I think they not only made the right choice, they made a great choice that day to use the pepper spray."

Aidan was placed on a "mental health hold" and was transferred to a school for children with behavioral issues.

His mother says Aidan is seeing a doctor, but has not been diagnosed with any mental illness and is not currently on any medication.

"It's hard," Mandy said. "Do you listen to what the teachers tell you? Or do you listen to your child?"

Aidan admitted he has problems controlling his anger.

"Just kind of like whenever anybody upsets me," he said. "Like I just kind of want to tear them apart... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."

DemonGeminiX
04-05-2011, 04:28 PM
What the hell is an 8 year old kid doing screaming "Get away from me you fuckers"?

You know, I think a little lack of oversight on the parenting issue may be to blame here for this kid.

Aidan admitted he has problems controlling his anger.

"Just kind of like whenever anybody upsets me," he said. "Like I just kind of want to tear them apart... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."

If he ever met my father, he wouldn't be saying shit like that. My Dad would beat it out of him.

FBD
04-05-2011, 04:29 PM

:roll: yes, let's listen to the little fucker and just accept that he cannot control himself, place no blame on the parents for never lifting a disciplinary finger, and blame society when he grows up and starts murdering people.

DemonGeminiX
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Exactly, beat the shit out of him. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
The cops were in a no-win situation here. She's saying pepper spray was too excessive and that the cops should have done something else. Like what? If the cops would have tried to grab him and wrestle him down, then she would have complained about that too.

She's lucky the cops didn't use a taser on him instead....teach the little bastard a lesson.

FBD
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
yup, fact of the matter is, he was going to be restrained one way or another. keep making them worse until you pierce that thickass skull and reach hopefully a bit of a mind inside:lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
The cops were in a no-win situation here. She's saying pepper spray was too excessive and that the cops should have done something else. Like what? If the cops would have tried to grab him and wrestle him down, then she would have complained about that too.

She's lucky the cops didn't use a taser on him instead....teach the little bastard a lesson.

Or, if she disciplined her kid every once in a while, instead of standing around like a moron when he acts up, maybe he wouldn't act up like this to begin with. Beat the shit out of him.

:lol:

MrsM
04-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't care if you are 8, 18 or 80 - if you are a threat to the safety of others and the cops tell you to do something - and you don't...
you deserve the pepper spray or taser or worse.

The mother was thought it was excessive - and adult jumping on a 8 yr old is way more dangerous for both.

Kid has issues and Mom has the "love blinders" on.

Loser
04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't believe in hitting kids, but some kids just need an ass whoopin'. Flat out. Sorry.

A couple of these:slap:

A few of these:stfu:

And a lot of this.:spank:

DemonGeminiX
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
In this kid's case, I'm all for this:

:chair:

MrsM
04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I think this kid has issues - I don't think spanking, hitting or other forms of punishment like that would help. (other than make the parents feel better that they have a F'n little shit for a kid)

FBD
04-05-2011, 05:18 PM
And that's why I tell all of my friends that are having kids,

get it right, from the getgo. Let them easily walk past a line you've drawn and dont do anything about it and you do more to undermine your own parenting than anything else possibly could. When that becomes habit, forget it, the kids are damn near ruined if you dont get it taken care of by 7, 8, 10 years old.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I think this kid has issues

He does, its his parents :roll: They should pepper spray that bitch too so maybe she can try some discipline in that kids life.

Hugh_Janus
04-05-2011, 07:08 PM
we need a video 8-)

Pony
04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I saw the title and thought WTF!!!

Then I read the article and thought good for them, someone has to teach the kid a lesson seeing as the parents apparently don't.

Pony
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't care if you are 8, 18 or 80 - if you are a threat to the safety of others and the cops tell you to do something - and you don't...
you deserve the pepper spray or taser or worse.

The mother was thought it was excessive - and adult jumping on a 8 yr old is way more dangerous for both.

Kid has issues and Mom has the "love blinders" on.

Exactly. If the cops would have grabbed him to subdue him they very easily could have injured him worse or gotten staked. I think the cops made 100% the right call in this case.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
we need a video 8-)

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=886553059001

No video of the incident, but you can see the interview the TV station did with the kid and the mom :roll:

Hal-9000
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM

First thing that came to my mind too....yes I believe that children should be protected to an extent, because of their lack of experience and emotional discipline...

but...

they should have tasered little Jimmy until he pissed his pants :thumbsup:

minz
04-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Too many parents are raising precious little prince and princesses, parents these days seem to think their little darlings cant do anything wrong... Its NEVER their fault :rolleyes:

Hal-9000
04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Too many parents are raising precious little prince and princesses, parents these days seem to think their little darlings cant do anything wrong... Its NEVER their fault :rolleyes:

A girl at work (single, no children) had her sister's family come over.I guess the two little kids were absolute monsters...breaking things and running wild while her sister and hubby sat there ignoring.Finally my coworker had to get angry and lay down the law to the kids, much to the parent's horror.

She said that her sister and hubby were actually angry at her, for yelling at their children.A lamp, some dishes and a basement railing (?) were all broken.

f.f.s.

Hugh_Janus
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=886553059001

No video of the incident, :sad2:

Southern Belle
04-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I might be way wrong but a little ass whuppin goes a long way.

Hal-9000
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I've heard this more than once....

Little _____(<--insert monster's name here) is just expressing himself :)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I've heard this more than once....

Little _____(<--insert monster's name here) is just expressing himself :)

So if I express myself with a 2 x 4 on the parents head, then that would be acceptable :)

Hal-9000
04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
So if I express myself with a 2 x 4 on the parents head, then that would be acceptable :)

Yes, you must be in tune with your true nature and let that stuff out :thumbsup:

Godfather
04-05-2011, 11:11 PM
I think lance said it with 'no win situation' for the police.

The media determines the victor at the end of the day when cases are like this... it can be painted so many different ways...

Hal-9000
04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I think lance said it with 'no win situation' for the police....

UNTRUE!

They can shoot to wound and since he's so young...he will heal

:thumbsup:

Godfather
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Shot to the heart
And you're to blame

Hal-9000
04-05-2011, 11:26 PM
*tasers GF's pene*

Godfather
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
*grabs hal's penis to complete the circuit (of love)

Teh One Who Knocks
04-05-2011, 11:28 PM
UNTRUE!

They can shoot to wound and since he's so young...he will heal

:thumbsup:

FBD
04-06-2011, 12:18 PM
A girl at work (single, no children) had her sister's family come over.I guess the two little kids were absolute monsters...breaking things and running wild while her sister and hubby sat there ignoring.Finally my coworker had to get angry and lay down the law to the kids, much to the parent's horror.

She said that her sister and hubby were actually angry at her, for yelling at their children.A lamp, some dishes and a basement railing (?) were all broken.

f.f.s.

Those people should not have even had kids. Frickin kids are ornaments these days, not actual human beings who need to grow, learn, be disciplined, and evolve into a decent self sufficient human being.

Joebob034
04-06-2011, 04:09 PM
sounds like the little bastard deserved it to me

KevinD
04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
First thought is this goes back to kids having kids....They weren't properly brought up, so have no clue how to raise a child.
When my youngest was born, as soon as she could understand that every action has a reaction..(do something wrong, Daddy demonstrates the corrective action) I like to think of it as positive reinforcement, lol...
I did things the same way, every time...
My wife gets frustrated at my youngest because our daughter doesn't really listen to her, and often rolls her eyes at something Mom says..When I tell my daughter to do something, she may not like it, but I seldom have to say it twice.
I started as I said, when she was very young (wife would get mad at me) but, my daughter knows beyond doubt, that if I have to say something three times, it's too late, punishment will follow immediately. I haven't had to swat her on her but since she was about 6 or so.
Do we argue? Yes, absolutely, I'm Dad, and I'm always right, and she's a teenaged girl, lol
The Police could have done several things in the situation, but, I highly doubt they did anything excessive here....I mean, come on, what 8 yo has had to have the cops called on them 3 times?

FBD
04-06-2011, 09:04 PM
you da man, Kev :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Grandfather of pepper-sprayed boy blames past 'trauma'
9 News Colorado

WESTMINSTER - The grandfather of an 8-year-old boy who was pepper sprayed by Lakewood Police feels his grandson has been unfairly characterized as a "violent spoiled brat."

John, who asked 9NEWS not to disclose his last name, said his grandson Aidan experienced a painful and private "trauma" prior to 2009, that has since triggered angry outbursts at school.

"Something traumatic has happened that's caused the problems," he said, "and I can't really go into it right now. It's confidential and under investigation."

"That's not excusing his behavior. But that's a reason why he acts out," he said.

Aidan spends most weekends and holidays with his grandparents.

"I couldn't love him anymore if he was my son," John said. "His dad was in the military and was sent to Afghanistan. Basically I've been his dad for all that time."

John says he and his grandson have had a lot of fun times. He worries a recent violent incident will now overshadow his grandson Aidan.

Aidan's second grade teachers called police during a violent temper tantrum at Glennon Heights Elementary School in Lakewood on Feb. 22.

According to a Lakewood Police report, Aidan was threatening teachers with a piece of wood trim he ripped off the wall.

Lakewood police officers entered the classroom and ordered Aidan to "drop the stick." When he didn't comply, the officers pepper sprayed Aidan twice, handcuffed him, and removed him from the classroom.

"I'm not here to trash the Lakewood PD," John said. "I think they were just trying to do their job. I definitely don't agree with using the pepper spray on an 8-year-old."

John, a former police officer, keeps a detailed record of Aidan's behavior at home.

"His outbursts don't happen at home," he said, "but there's something about school that triggers a reaction."

Aidan's mother Mandy, whose last name 9NEWS has also chosen not to disclose, believes the Lakewood Police officers should have handled the situation differently. She says police were called on her son at school twice before, and both times the officers were able to talk to her son and calm him down.

"I'm sure what he was doing wasn't right, but he's 8 years old," Mandy said. "They walked in, asked him to drop the stick, and then sprayed him with the spray...I think it's excessive."

Lakewood Police spokesman Steve Davis defended the officers' decision to use pepper spray on the boy, calling it the safest option considering the circumstances.

"You've got teachers barricading themselves in a room. They are obviously frightened," Davis said. "I think they not only made the right choice, they made a great choice that day to use the pepper spray."

Aidan was placed on a "mental health hold" and was transferred to a school for children with behavioral issues.

His mother says Aidan is seeing a doctor, but has not been diagnosed with any mental illness and is not currently on any medication.

"It's hard," Mandy said. "Do you listen to what the teachers tell you? Or do you listen to your child?"

Aidan admits he has problems controlling his anger.

Muddy
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
He does, its his parents :roll: They should pepper spray that bitch too so maybe she can try some discipline in that kids life.

Quoted for truth..