PDA

View Full Version : Ford hurt in Europe but reports $1 billion profit overall

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2012, 12:32 PM
By James R. Healey, USA TODAY

Ford Motor reported second quarter profit of $1 billion, less than half its net earnings a year ago.

As Ford had telegraphed, Europe was a money-loser. Ford reported a second-quarter loss there of $404 million on operations, vs. a profit of $176 million a year ago. The automaker forecast a full-year loss in Europe more than $1 billion.

Ford paints a dire picture of the problems in Europe:

The company recognizes the seriousness of the situation in Europe, and views the challenges the industry faces as more structural than cyclical in nature....We are reviewing all areas of our business...

Automotive over-capacity and ragged economic conditions in much of Europe are killing all Detroit automakers. In addition to Ford's not-so-veiled warning of European plant closings -- a radical move in Europe -- Chrysler Group is supporting its Italian parent Fiat, and GM, buffeted by losses of its German Opel unit, is planning to close a plant.

Here's Ford's earnings statement:

Near-record profits in North America and continued strong performance from Ford Credit helped the Ford Motor Company [NYSE: F] deliver its 12th consecutive quarterly pre-tax operating profit as it reports second quarter 2012 results today.

The company reported a pre-tax operating profit of $1.8 billion, or 30 cents per share, and net income of $1 billion, or 26 cents per share. The company also continued to generate positive Automotive operating-related cash flow, and ended the period with a strong liquidity position of $33.9 billion, an increase of $1 billion during the quarter.

"The Ford team delivered another solid quarter driven by the strength of Ford North America and Ford Credit," said Alan Mulally, Ford president and chief executive officer. "We remain absolutely committed to continuing to make progress on our One Ford plan, including dealing decisively with near-term challenges, investing for future growth, and developing outstanding products with segment-leading quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value."

Second quarter 2012 net income was affected by lower operating results and the impact of higher tax expense compared to a year ago that resulted from the release of the tax valuation allowance in the fourth quarter of 2011.

Ford finished the second quarter with Automotive gross cash of $23.7 billion, an increase of $700 million during the quarter. Automotive debt of $14.2 billion at the end of the second quarter was up from $13.7 billion at the end of the first quarter, primarily reflecting additional drawdowns of low-cost loans for the development of advanced vehicle technologies. The company will make its last draw on these loans by August 2012, and repayment of the loans begins in September 2012.

Ford also made payments of $800 million to its worldwide funded pension plans, of which $500 million were discretionary payments to U.S. funded plans, in line with the company's previously disclosed long-term strategy to de-risk its funded pension plans. Dividends paid in the quarter totaled nearly $200 million. Automotive gross cash exceeded debt by $9.5 billion at the end of the second quarter, a net cash increase of $200 million during the quarter.

What Ford says about Europe:

Ford Europe's results compared with a year ago largely reflected unfavorable market factors. Volume was unfavorable due to lower industry, share and associated production adjustments to maintain dealer stocks at appropriate levels.

Net pricing was lower as the industry responded to excess capacity with higher incentives. Higher contribution costs also contributed to the profit decline.

Given the deteriorating external environment in Europe, Ford now expects its full year loss in Europe to exceed $1 billion. The magnitude of this loss will be affected by a number of factors, including the overall economic environment, competitive actions, and Ford's response to these developments.

The company recognizes the seriousness of the situation in Europe, and views the challenges the industry faces as more structural than cyclical in nature. While Ford is affected significantly because of its strong presence in the region, the company understands what is needed to achieve profitability and to generate an appropriate return on investments.

We have faced challenging situations in other parts of the business before, and successfully addressed them through our One Ford plan," said Bob Shanks, Ford executive vice president and chief financial officer. "We will continue to use our plan as the guide to address challenges and opportunities in our valued European operations.

We are reviewing all areas of our business to address the near-term challenges, while ensuring we build a strong foundation for our future," said Shanks.

"It is premature to discuss details of what our plans may be in response to the situation in Europe, but we will continue to communicate our plans at the appropriate times with all of our stakeholders."

Muddy
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I looked at the 2013 Explorer last week... Fuuuckkk I can afford a Lexus more easily.. They have priced themselves out of the game for me.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2012, 01:20 PM
My buddy works in the oil/natural gas field and takes his truck off road a lot for work. He has an F-250 and is looking to replace it. When we were at Bandimere for the drag races last weekend, Ford had their new trucks there. Base F-250 XLT was like $45K and that wasn't even with the diesel engine which he needs :wha:

Muddy
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Its nuts.. The XLT Explorer was 42k and the Limited was 52K.. For an Explorer!!

Acid Trip
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Its nuts.. The XLT Explorer was 42k and the Limited was 52K.. For an Explorer!!

:wtf:

When did Ford become a luxury car line?

Muddy
07-25-2012, 01:37 PM
The guy said what about about the 2wd entry level for 29K...? I scoffed and said "how about I stick with my loaded Toyota"..

Arkady Renko
07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
they're in a rough place over here right now. Not so long ago, everyone and their grandmother ripped into the german car makers because they focus on the luxury segment and favour tech-heavy cars because they can't sell that many units. Now it turns out (surprise!!!) that the expensive cars are the only market segment that they can make money with while still assembling in Europe. Which hurts companies like Ford even more because even their bigger and more sophisitcated cars do not fetch the prices that Mercedes, BMW or Audi can get away with for similar rides because the poor prestige of the compacts they make reflects negatively on Ford's bigger cars. With the advantage of hindsight, it was probably a stupid idea to sell Jaguar and Volvo rather than cutting capacities in their compact car portfolio.

Acid Trip
07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
The guy said what about about the 2wd entry level for 29K...? I scoffed and said "how about I stick with my loaded Toyota"..

That was made in San Antonio, TX by non union workers :mrgreen:

Muddy
07-25-2012, 01:58 PM
That was made in San Antonio, TX by non union workers :mrgreen:

Mines a Tacoma so Im not sure..

Acid Trip
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Mines a Tacoma so Im not sure..

In 2009 Toyota made the San Antonio plant the home for Tacomas in addition to the Tundras they were already making.

I have lots of family in San Antonio and it was a big deal.

Muddy
07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
I thought it was Mehican for some reason..

FBD
07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
I bought an explorer, easy to fix, but that's cuz its old. were I buying new, no way I'd be handing a single red cent to the UAW.