PDA

View Full Version : Obama calls for measures against gun violence

Acid Trip
07-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Says the guy who let thousands of AK-47's walk across the border and directly into the hands of criminals. :potkettle:

Faced with a clamor in his party for stricter gun control in the wake of the Colorado movie-theater massacre, President Obama said Wednesday night he would “leave no stone unturned” in seeking new measures to reduce violence nationwide, including more restrictive background checks on gun purchases.

“A lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals,” Mr. Obama said at the annual National Urban League convention in New Orleans. “They belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities.”

The president blamed “politics and lobbying” for defeating gun-control measures when outcries arise after mass shootings in the U.S. And he said the nation’s attention should not just be focused on mass shootings, such as the one on Friday in Aurora, Colo., but on the daily shooting deaths of youths from gun violence in major cities.

“Every day, the number of young people we lose to violence is about the same as the number of people we lost in that movie theater,” Mr. Obama said. “For every Columbine or Virginia Tech, there are dozens gunned down on the streets of Chicago or Atlanta, here in New Orleans. Violence plagues the biggest cities, but it also plagues the smallest towns.”

It was Mr. Obama’s first comment on gun violence since the shooting in Aurora that killed 12 people and wounded 58. Police said James Holmes, 24, carried out the killings with an assault rifle, a shotgun and two handguns.

Progressives are pushing Mr. Obama, who campaigned four years ago on a platform of stricter gun control, to speak out on the subject and use the tragedy to impose stricter gun regulations. But the White House has been saying since the shooting last week that Mr. Obama has no plans to seek new gun legislation.

The president used the speech to the Urban League to defend his own actions to date on gun control, as much as to call for tougher controls.

“We’ve been able to take some actions on our own, recognizing that it’s not always easy to get things through Congress these days,” Mr. Obama said. “The background checks on those looking to purchase firearms are now more thorough and more complete. Instead of just throwing more money at the problem of violence, the federal government is now in the trenches with communities and schools and law enforcement … we’re partnering with local officials to reduce crime using best practices.”

He added that the administration has been promoting intervention programs to keep young people out of gangs.

But he said those steps have not been effective enough, and blamed “opposition in Congress” for preventing more restrictive gun laws.

“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Mr. Obama said. “But I also believe that the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons, that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can [purchase a gun], that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense. So I’m going to continue to work with members of both parties and with religious groups and with civic organizations to arrive at a consensus around violence reduction. Not just of gun violence, but violence at every level.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/25/obama-calls-measures-against-gun-violence/

PorkChopSandwiches
07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
jesus christo

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Don't go down this path, Obama. You do not wanna wake up this sleeping giant.

Gun purchases have gone through the roof.

Just a scenario... how I see it going down:

It'll start in small towns. After Congress and the President passes a ban on civilian arms, and law enforcement is charged with collecting, that's where the violence will start. People will be prepared, they'll be waiting. The idiots in law enforcement that don't care that it's a constitutional violation, that don't care if they're going after their own families, friends, and neighbors... they'll be met with force. They'll die first. And the bureaucrats will cry foul, but the small towns will keep organizing, then marching from town to town. The forces will grow exponentially... the gun owners, plus the police that wouldn't enforce this idiocy. The military will be called in, but the soldiers won't believe in the law. They won't want to go up against their own families, friends, and neighbors, either. They'll defect from the military ranks and join the civilian forces that are still growing... and the civilian forces will then have military trained people in their ranks. The federal officers will follow suit. And the forces will continue on... growing as they move on towards Washington, cutting down anyone and everyone in their way. No one will be able to stop them. When the politicians realize that they signed their own death warrants by signing a national ban on gun ownership, they'll try and run. The President will take Air Force One out of the country. He'll be exiled. Politicians will be executed as they're found. The Capitol will burn. The Constitution will be rewritten. The people will move on to New York to evict the UN off of American soil, if the surrounding civilians hadn't done it already. If the UN ambassadors have any sense, they'll have left a long time ago.

And there will be so much more. Factions will destroy churches, temples and mosques. Different people will attack each other. It'll be chaos.

Acid Trip
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Don't go down this path, Obama. You do not wanna wake up this sleeping giant.

Gun purchases have gone through the roof.

Just a scenario... how I see it going down:

It'll start in small towns. After Congress and the President passes a ban on civilian arms, and law enforcement is charged with collecting, that's where the violence will start. People will be prepared, they'll be waiting. The idiots in law enforcement that don't care that it's a constitutional violation, that don't care if they're going after their own families, friends, and neighbors... they'll be met with force. They'll die first. And the bureaucrats will cry foul, but the small towns will keep organizing, then marching from town to town. The forces will grow exponentially... the gun owners, plus the police that wouldn't enforce this idiocy. The military will be called in, but the soldiers won't believe in the law. They won't want to go up against their own families, friends, and neighbors, either. They'll defect from the military ranks and join the civilian forces that are still growing... and the civilian forces will then have military trained people in their ranks. The federal officers will follow suit. And the forces will continue on... growing as they move on towards Washington, cutting down anyone and everyone in their way. No one will be able to stop them. When the politicians realize that they signed their own death warrants by signing a national ban on gun ownership, they'll try and run. The President will take Air Force One out of the country. He'll be exiled. Politicians will be executed as they're found. The Capitol will burn. The Constitution will be rewritten. The people will move on to New York to evict the UN off of American soil, if the surrounding civilians hadn't done it already. If the UN ambassadors have any sense, they'll have left a long time ago.

And there will be so much more. Factions will destroy churches, temples and mosques. Different people will attack each other. It'll be chaos.

"And what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusetts: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order. I hope in god this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted." -Thomas Jefferson on the 2nd Amendment

Griffin
07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
..dogs and cats sleeping together...

DemonGeminiX
07-26-2012, 03:39 PM
..dogs and cats sleeping together...

http://images.wikia.com/villains/images/d/d8/Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

Hal-9000
07-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I do agree with this bit below wholeheartedly but don't see how it will create DGX's scenario...did I miss something in the article that says they're going to remove all guns from civilians? (skimming at work, apologies...)

“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Mr. Obama said. “But I also believe that the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons, that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can [purchase a gun], that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense."

Acid Trip
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I do agree with this bit below wholeheartedly but don't see how it will create DGX's scenario...did I miss something in the article that says they're going to remove all guns from civilians? (skimming at work, apologies...)

“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms,” Mr. Obama said. “But I also believe that the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons, that we should check someone’s criminal record before they can [purchase a gun], that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial, they should be common sense."

I think he's referring to UN small Arms treaty. If Obama (or anyone) tried to enforce it in the United States. All those topics kind of run together.

Hal-9000
07-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks AT...

yeah if you pull all of the guns in America guys like Lance will have to go to 12 step meetings :lol:

FBD
07-26-2012, 09:00 PM
I think he's referring to UN small Arms treaty. If Obama (or anyone) tried to enforce it in the United States. All those topics kind of run together.

that ends are one of the actual transparencies of the administration. by hell or high water, if they put up a wall we'll run around it or vault over it, doesnt matter what the law says, we'll subvert if it we have to. plainly fking obvious.

Southern Belle
07-27-2012, 02:07 AM
What these idiots won't admit is that law abiding citizens will be the only ones who don't have the banned guns. Criminals and nutjobs will still have them. The rest of us will be defenseless.

I'm in the market for a pump shotgun and a rifle.