PDA

View Full Version : California police fire into crowd of women and children during near-riot

Dovah
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKytiNhjL0

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/7/24/police_brutality_in_anaheim_sparks_outrage

A near-riot broke out in Anaheim, California on Saturday after a police shooting left one man dead and angry witnesses began throwing bottles at police offers. Police responded by firing bean bags and rubber bullets into a crowd of terrified women and children and even loosed a police dog on one woman and her baby.

Residents, who have recently been complaining about alleged police violence, told KCAL 9 News that Manuel Diaz was running away from police who had attempted to speak with him when he was shot from behind with a bullet that hit him in the buttocks. He fell to his knees and was struck in the head by another bullet. Police handcuffed the motionless man and he was taken to the hospital, where he died three hours later.

However, it was what happened after residents had blocked off a street and set fire to a dumpster that left even the KCAL reporters shocked. Not only did the police fire on women and children, hitting at least one young boy, but a police dog was allowed to attack a mother with her child..

“They just released the dog and I had my baby in the stroller,” the hysterical mother told the news team. “The dog just grabbed me with his teeth.”

According to reporter Jay Jackson, dozens of people were filming the event with their cellphones, and four different people told him “that police officers offered to buy their video from them without any explanation.”

Update: On Sunday afternoon, protesters gathered in the lobby of the Anaheim Police Department chanting “No justice, no peace” and “Justice for Manuel.”

The demonstration came at the same time as a police press conference, during which it was announced that two officers involved in the fatal shooting have been placed on paid leave, pending a full investigation of the incident. Police Chief John Walter also indicated that the dog which rushed into the crowd biting people had accidentally escaped from a police vehicle.

“We are extremely sorry for the people who were bit,” Welter stated. “The city will be responsible for all medical bills associated with the dog. The canine officer responsible for the dog is devastated by this.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/22/california-police-fire-into-crowd-of-women-and-children-during-near-riot/

I can't find much about this from any of the major media sources, which makes me even more concerned.

Something to take away from the story: Police tried to pay people in exchange for their footage of the event.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Anaheim is out of hand right now

Griffin
07-27-2012, 01:23 AM
was that newscast done in someones garage? :meh:

Godfather
07-27-2012, 06:55 AM
I'd love to hear the police side of the story about this Diaz character, as opposed to those two winners being interviewed... I'm not quick to believe police shot an unarmed man running away, and then finished him off.

And firing rubber bullets and sending a police dog at a crowd with kids around is stupid... but not as stupid as taking your kids to a protest.

FBD
07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
especially one that has already showed itself to be violent...

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
These cops have been shooting at people trying to get away, there is video where they are shooting a a person with a baby in a stroller. I'll see if I can find them

Dovah
07-27-2012, 11:37 PM
was that newscast done in someones garage? :meh:

Probably, but like I said major media doesn't wanna touch this as far as I know.