PDA

View Full Version : Fencer Shin refuses to accept 'special medal' after sit-in protest

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
By Sportsmail Reporter

Fencing's governing body announced that heartbroken South Korean Shin A Lam will receive 'a special medal' after she felt she was robbed of a proper one in the women's epee on Monday night.

The medal will be for 'aspiration to win and respect for the rules,' said the International Fencing Federation in a statement.

But Shin said: 'It does not make me feel better because it's not an Olympic medal.

'I don't accept the result because I believe it was a mistake.'

http://i.imgur.com/GmMM0.png

Shin was speaking back at the ExCeL Arena, scene of the biggest controversy of the Games so far at the end of her semi-final with Germany's 2008 Olympic champion Britta Heidemann.

The 25-year-old was in floods of tears and stayed on the piste for over an hour while arguments raged about the result, but her defeat stood and she then lost the bronze medal match as well.

Shin thought she was through to the final when the clock went to zero, but Austrian referee Barbara Csar then ruled there was actually still a second left, during which time Heidemann scored.

Korean Olympic Committee president Park Yung-Sung revealed today the FIE had made the offer of a consolation prize and recognised that they had acknowledged that 'you can have human error.'

He added: 'They know they are very sorry about her and they have to recognise her sporting spirit.'

The FIE said they had, as yet, no confirmation of the date or place of the medal award ceremony.

The Korean team's protest was rejected this morning and Park also said: 'They cannot make a new decision after rejecting our appeal, but they are sorry and sympathise with Shin so they want to recognise her in the spirit of the Olympics.'

Shin, who said through an interpreter that she had slept for only about two hours last night, could still win a 'real' medal in the team event on Saturday - and could face Heidemann once more in the final.

Park blamed the timing system for the incident, claiming it was not accurate enough.

'They have never experienced this before with three attacks in the last second. Their timekeeping machine only has seconds, not fractions of a second. It cannot handle a situation like yesterday. That they admit.'

http://i.imgur.com/8bAel.jpg

In their written appeal the Korean team had said: 'I can't agree with the decision of the referee. Who can believe this situation? The Korean team cannot accept this situation.'

But an official statement issued in response read: 'It is for the referee to decide how much time remains. The referee confirmed the last hit. Neither the DT (the technical director) nor the refereeing delegations can change a question of fact. The DT decides to reject the protest.'

Meanwhile, Park confirmed that the Korean team had accepted an apology from their Swiss counterparts after footballer Michel Morganella was expelled from the Games for directing an allegedly racist insult at South Koreans on Twitter.

The 23-year-old defender was sent home after posting the message in the wake of his team's 2-1 defeat to South Korea on Sunday. Morganella has also apologised and his Twitter account has been deleted.

Richard Cranium
08-02-2012, 02:26 PM
I never would have never guessed that putting up fences would ever be a competitive sport

DemonGeminiX
08-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Didn't realize that they had crybabies in South Korea too.

Acid Trip
08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
The poor girl got totally screwed. I watched that match and can't believe the ruling wasn't immediately overturned.

Arkady Renko
08-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm on the fence about this...

The poor girl got totally screwed. I watched that match and can't believe the ruling wasn't immediately overturned.

You think? I'm not an expert but I thought that even if Heidemann's last hit had been disallowed they would still have had a draw. So it seems that the assertion made by the author that Shin thought she'd won isn't correct. She had reason to believe she wasn't out (yet). Or am I missing something here?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2012, 04:32 PM

Back in 2012, a bad call from an umpire (last call of the game actually) blew Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga's perfect game, he didn't cry and whine about it or hang out on the pitcher's mound for an hour. He dealt with it like an adult.

She needs to STFU and deal with it...things aren't always gonna go her way, no matter what her parents promised her.

Acid Trip
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Shin had priority with :01 on the clock and the score tied in overtime, and would have, in theory, reached the gold medal final when time ran out without a clean touch. Three successive touches without a clean touch happened without the clock running out, however, and Heidemann scored on the fourth, earning her a 6-5 overtime victory and a berth in the final — but only after nearly a half-hour of deliberation by the judges.

Basically there was 3-4 touches without the last second ever coming off the clock. Only the 4th touch counted since the first 3 were not clean.

World's longest second and a major error by the referees.

Hal-9000
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
she was screwed, of course she has a right to dispute a time keeping/judging error...it's the fuggin Olympics!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Or she could just deal with it like an adult instead of a spoiled 4 year old. Bad calls happen in sports all the time, she needs to deal with it. She can lodge a complaint, complain to the judges, whatever she wants, but sitting there for an hour after the decision has been made final makes her look like a fucking whiny-ass baby.

Hal-9000
08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I cried when they took my diving medal away from me :(

RBP
08-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm on the fence about this...

:rimshot:

Acid Trip
08-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Or she could just deal with it like an adult instead of a spoiled 4 year old. Bad calls happen in sports all the time, she needs to deal with it. She can lodge a complaint, complain to the judges, whatever she wants, but sitting there for an hour after the decision has been made final makes her look like a fucking whiny-ass baby.

The rules state you must stay on fencing strip throughout the duration of your appeal. If she would have gotten up her appeal would automatically be denied.

Hal-9000
08-02-2012, 06:34 PM
The rules state you must stay on fencing strip throughout the duration of your appeal. If she would have gotten up her appeal would automatically be denied.

didn't know that.....wow, I learned something today, thanks :thumbsup:

Acid Trip
08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
didn't know that.....wow, I learned something today, thanks :thumbsup:

I watched two bobbleheads on TV break the whole thing down. That's a special Olympic rule btw (not being able to leave during the appeal).

Hal-9000
08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
What if you have to pee during the appeal? :-s

Muddy
08-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Wtf is wrong with you man? :lol: