PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone to use new proprietary plug that is incompatible with old proprietary plug

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2012, 02:24 PM
By Christina Bonnington - Wired

Apple’s rumored redesigned dock connector for the upcoming iPhone may be even smaller than we’ve anticipated.

The new connector will employ only eight pins arranged in a line, according to iLounge sources. It’s an intriguing proposition, but iLounge didn’t include any images of the connector in its report. Still, in the past, iLounge has been right on the money in predicting the release date for the third-generation iPad, as well as the tablet’s overall appearance and specs.

Previous reports from other sources have indicated Apple could be ditching its current 30-pin dock connector for a 19-pin version. Whether we see eight pins or 19 pins, it seems likely that Apple is redesigning its mobile device dock connector, which has employed 30 pins for close to a decade. The anticipated changes are stirring a lot of excitement in the Apple user community, but also a certain amount of dread as consumers consider compatibility with existing iDevice accessories. One of iLounge sources said the new connector may also feature other innovations, such as allowing the connector to be plugged “in either orientation” like the MagSafe connector used in Apple notebooks.

In recent months, Apple has had both patents and job listings published that relate to dock connector design, fueling rumors that a smaller connector is in the works. Those rumors also seem to be corroborated by leaked images of purported iPhone 5 parts. With that in mind, now may not be the best time to invest in 30-pin-dock-wielding accessories, even if Apple would likely introduce an adapter for cross-compatibility.

In addition to dock connector changes, iLounge’s sources said the next iPhone (with iOS 6) would be getting a nifty new Bluetooth 4.0 bridge that would, for example, let an iPod nano display messages received on your iPhone. It could let you make voice calls using your iPod too, if the device is paired over Bluetooth with a computer.

Godfather
08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Fucking typical :lol:

redred
08-02-2012, 03:04 PM
oh dear :lol:

Arkady Renko
08-02-2012, 03:05 PM
this is excellent news for Google if it's true. I know of quite a few people, for example in Virginia, who chose Apple products over better alternatives from other brands because they wanted a device that fit into their preexisting Apple docks. With that selling proposition off the table, these people may well go for non-Apple devices in the future.

redred
08-02-2012, 03:24 PM
this is what i like about the samsung charger it fits htc's ,lg's and most others i believe meaning i only had to take 1 charger away on holiday with me

Arkady Renko
08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
absolutely. I wish they'd come up with a universal standard for digital cameras as well. I totally hate it that there are dozens of different batteries for each brand alone, every single one of which needs a specific charger.

Godfather
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
How many of the millions of die-hard Apple fanatics will actually be pissed off enough about the obsolescence of all their docking devices to make the switch to Droid?!

I'm thinking a disturbingly low percentage :lol:

Arkady Renko
08-02-2012, 03:43 PM
they'll probably be happy to pony up the traditional 29 $ for every adaptor even though the things cost cents to make.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-02-2012, 05:13 PM
How many of the millions of die-hard Apple fanatics will actually be pissed off enough about the obsolescence of all their docking devices to make the switch to Droid?!

I'm thinking a disturbingly low percentage :lol:

Lets see if it pushes Muddy over the edge :)

Arkady Renko
08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Lets see if it pushes Muddy over the edge :)

this is excellent news for Google if it's true. I know of quite a few people, for example in Virginia, who chose Apple products over better alternatives from other brands because they wanted a device that fit into their preexisting Apple docks. With that selling proposition off the table, these people may well go for non-Apple devices in the future.

great minds think alike :cheerlead:

Acid Trip
08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
:lol:

Changing from one proprietary connector to another. If Apple gave a shit about their customers they'd be using micro usb like all the other smart phones.

Muddy
08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
If it doesn't hook to my existing shit, I will not buy it.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Exactly, but its like MS and Internet Explorer, they just make up whatever they want instead of sticking with the standards, then you have to program all these special things on your website so IE can handle it :roll:

Muddy
08-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Now my wife is a different story.. :lol:

Arkady Renko
08-02-2012, 07:38 PM
does she require a proprietary plug as well?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Bwhahahahaha

Acid Trip
08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
does she require a proprietary plug as well?

:bwaha:

Pony
08-02-2012, 09:07 PM
If it doesn't hook to my existing shit, I will not buy it.

But you get to buy the new and improved versions of all your existing shit!!! Now with one new feature and color options!