PDA

View Full Version : Tucson exec loses job over anti-Chick-fil-A rant in drive-thru

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Phil Villarreal, Arizona Daily Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLNgkP9nzc

An executive at a medical manufacturing firm lost his job after a YouTube video of him verbally ambushing a young employee at a Tucson Chick-fil-A went viral.

Adam Smith, formerly Chief Financial Officer at Vante, stepped down after the video — which Smith shot and uploaded himself —caused embarrassment to the company.

The video was picked up by countless blogs. Before Smith took it off of YouTube, others had downloaded it and re-posted it. Both the escapade and its fallout filled Tucson-linked tweets.

Smith, who served as an adjunct lecturer at the University of Arizona last semester, filmed himself berating a drive-thru employee at Chick-fil-A, 3605 E. Broadway, Wednesday. Conservative firebrand Mike Huckabee dubbed that day “Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day” and encouraged customers to eat there to show support for the chain after President Dan Cathy drew controversy for saying the company supports efforts to block gay marriage.

In the video, which runs 2 minutes, 21 seconds, Smith enters the drive-thru, explaining that he’s ordered a free cup of water. Once the employee hands him his cup, he lambastes her employer, calling Chick-fil-A “a hateful corporation” and “a horrible corporation with horrible values” that “gives money to hate groups.”

Chick-fil-A restaurants have been a source of political uproar after Cathy’s statements against same-sex marriage.

Cathy made statements in June and July in support of the biblical definition of marriage. Gay-rights groups have called for a boycott of the Atlanta-based company, and city leaders in Boston and Chicago have said new franchises would not be welcome there.

Protests critical of Cathy’s statements are expected today.

In Smith’s video, the employee at the drive-through window, taken aback, tells Smith that she’s uncomfortable being filmed. Smith does not back off.

“I don’t know how you live with yourself and work here,” Smith says to the employee, before calling himself “totally heterosexual” and saying there’s “not a gay in me” and “I just can’t stand the hate.” He also says he’s “I’m a nice guy, by the way.”

After he’s done talking to her, he says he thinks he “just did something really good” and “I feel purposeful.”

Roger Vogel, Chairman, President and CEO of Vante, said the decision for Smith to step down was mutual. Vogel said he was “shocked” by the video, which he first discovered when people emailed him a link.

“We obviously found it very disturbing,” Vogel said. “We respect everybody’s ability to share their opinions in the public square and we have a very diverse workforce with a diverse set of opinions. We expect employees to behave in a professional manner that’s commensurate with their positions, and discuss their opinions in a civil fashion. ... We thought what he did was inappropriate.”

Vogel said the company has no stance on the gay marriage issue but has always hade a “good relationship” with Chick-fil-A. He said the company will consider contacting the employee Smith ambushed in an attempt to mend fences.

Reached at Chick-fil-A, the employee declined comment. Smith did not respond to messages left via email or through the University of Arizona. UA spokespeople did not return messages asking whether or not Smith would continue to teach classes, although Smith’s profile was scrubbed from UA’s faculty listings Thursday.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Smith taught Valuation and Corporate Finance to MBA students last semester.

Before accepting the job at Vante, Smith worked for more than seven years at IBM, where he was Senior Finance Manager. Smith earned a business degree at the UA, graduating in 1999, as well as an MBA in 2007.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 10:32 AM
So glad he got fired, this guy is a first class asshat.

KevinD
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Awesomeness!

Acid Trip
08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
That girl showed a lot of poise in a very uncomfortable situation.

KevinD
08-03-2012, 01:18 PM
My net trolling skills must be lacking. I can find all kinds of reports about what the owner of Chick-fil-a said, and how gays are upset, but nothing about what exact "Hate filled Anti Gay charities they are giving money to..

RBP
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
closet fag.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 01:22 PM
closet fag.

He said there's not a gay in him :nono:

RBP
08-03-2012, 01:26 PM
He said there's not a gay in him :nono:

He's blown more than Carlos Marmol (cubs "closer")

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Maybe he meant there's not a gay in him 'right now' :shock:

RBP
08-03-2012, 01:32 PM
:lol: could be... I'd be shocked if he's totally straight... takes a lot to muster than kind of vitriol.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, lets take it out on the minimum wage employee just trying to make ends meet.

How about you dont give them your money by ordering the food.

I have stopped going there after the comments BTW

KevinD
08-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I think he has the right to voice his comment, esp if he actually is christian. Gay couples are frowned on in most religions. He has just as much right to voice his opinion as all those who disagree with him.
Still wanna know what "anti-gay" charities they are supposed to be funding?

Just realized, this could be construed as my supporting the dumbass Exec at the drive in. I'm not. I was supporting the owner of Chik-fil-A, and his right to voice his opinion.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I guess the have the "right" but from a business stance it was idiotic and I refuse to participate in their hatred. It pissed me off enough they are closed every Sunday.

KevinD
08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Porky, I'm not arguing, but, from what I read, this was a personal statement by the owner, NOT "corporate" doctrine or policy. Like I said, I can find all sorts of links where folks are saying he did say he didn't agree with Gays, but nothing linking Chick-fil-a to corporate funding of and anti gay groups. Maybe I'm just not searching right. I dunno.

RBP
08-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Chick-fil-a is openly run as a christian enterprise. Don't like it, don't eat there.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-03-2012, 03:29 PM
All Im saying is I (and my family) will not be eating there again.

CNN claims they give a lot off money to anti gay groups

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/03/chick-fil-a-controversy-shines-light-on-companys-charitable-giving/

RBP
08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
All Im saying is I (and my family) will not be eating there again.

CNN claims they give a lot off money to anti gay groups

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/03/chick-fil-a-controversy-shines-light-on-companys-charitable-giving/

CNN reports that other people claim that. The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is an anti-gay group?

idk, it seems to me that you let the market decide just like Porky's doing.

No need to bash their Christian values - they can donate to who they want.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
CNN reports that other people claim that. The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is an anti-gay group?

idk, it seems to me that you let the market decide just like Porky's doing.

No need to bash their Christian values - they can donate to who they want.

And as long as their chicken is delicious, I could give a rats ass who the fuck they donate money to

PorkChopSandwiches
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
If they never said anything, I would still be eating there. But if you want to come out with a statement, then fuck you

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 03:40 PM
If they never said anything, I would still be eating there. But if you want to come out with a statement, then fuck you

All he said was that he supports traditional marriage...not sure why that is such a radical and hideous statement to make.

RBP
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM

Now cmon, it didn't go down like that. It's not like the corporation issued a hate filled press release.

He was interviewed for a Christian publication and expressed his personal views. You don't know nor care what the personal views are of the CEO's of other companies you do business with. But because the media decided to make this an issue we're supposed to react? Meh. I'm with Lance, it wouldn't stop me from eating there, but I respect your decision to no longer patronize their stores.

KevinD
08-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree with RBP and Lance on this. All I see (on Porky's link too) is a bunch of Pro Gay rights groups claiming that Chick-fil-A supports "Anti Gay" groups, when in fact what they support is "Pro Christian" groups. Imagine that. A Christian company, founded by Christians, supports Christians.

For what it's worth, I also fully support Porkys (and any others) right to NOT support Chick-fil-A byu not purchasing their products. Like I've said in other threads, I am not anti gay. Gays have all the same rights as anyone else in my opinion. So do "insert your favorite minority here"

RBP
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
*stuffs chicken sammich down Porky's throat* eat it! :x

PorkChopSandwiches
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
I just want to marry a dude one day :shakefist:

and I may have misread the intial quote

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 03:59 PM
I like their chicken nuggets :homer:

KevinD
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Personally, I hate their food. Have only eaten there a handful of times, even when I was younger.

KevinD
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
I just want to marry a dude one day :shakefist:

and I may have misread the intial quote
Which quote? lol

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Personally, I hate their food. Have only eaten there a handful of times, even when I was younger.

:nuts:

RBP
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8g49Q.jpg

As police and store employees grappled with graffiti that appeared overnight on the back wall of a Torrance Chick-fil-A, online supporters and protesters alike criticized the vandalism.

"Tastes like hate" was scrawled in large black lettering on the wall of the restaurant, mimicking the chain's advertising.

"The Chick-Fil-A stores are all independently owned. Vandalism, like that in L.A., hurts the local owner who may not share Cathy's views," Twitter user Paul DeBaufer (@Persecuted23) posted, referring to company President Dan Cathy's recent public stand against same-sex marriage that has sparked a national uproar.

"wow really? it's one thing to protest Chick-fil-A but vandalism? im all for freedom of speech but this has gone too far," @iluvmonchele28 wrote on Twitter. “Wow. So 2 wrongs make a right now days?” wrote another Twitter user from North Carolina.

Many conservatives blamed liberals, saying that their calls for tolerance ring hollow in the face of hateful graffiti.

"Liberals HATE getting beat at their own game so they stoop to vandalism & hypocrisy by spray painting Chick-Fil-A at night," tweeted one conservative blogger.

The vandalism appeared on the same day that gay rights activists planned a “National Same-Sex Kiss Day,” encouraging same-sex couples Friday to go to a Chick-fil-A and take a photo or video of themselves kissing.

It remains unclear whether this protest will generate the huge crowds that turned out Wednesday for "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," when tens of thousands waited through long lines in a show of support for Cathy.

FBD
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
2 wrongs always make a right when you're talking about government or financial industries, but food joints? I dunno :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Thats unnecessary

Hal-9000
08-03-2012, 06:01 PM
reminds me of the movie Machete and some of the reactions on the forum...I WON'T SEE THAT MOVIE BECAUSE.....:x *

*insert everything but the actual content of the movie :lol:

Acid Trip
08-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I like their waffle fries.

RBP
08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I like their waffle fries.

What good are waffle fries if you can't marry your boyfriend? :hand:

Acid Trip
08-03-2012, 08:58 PM
What good are waffle fries if you can't marry your boyfriend? :hand:

:(