PDA

View Full Version : Taxpayer-backed free lunch program feeds controversy in California

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
By Claudia Cowan - Fox News

http://i.imgur.com/l5Fot.jpg

Every summer across the U.S., more than 3 million children eat for free at more than 30,000 sites, from schools to recreation centers to migrant worker camps. It's a valuable resource for families who are struggling, and, critics say, a nice freebie for those who aren't.

The "Summer Fun Cafe" in Northern California and others like it are funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in areas where at least half the children qualify for free lunches during the regular school year.

But come summer, anyone 18 and under can pull up a chair to Uncle Sam's table.

"There's no income requirement, no enrollment, no paperwork," says Monique Stovall, nutrition director for the San Juan Unified School District outside Sacramento, Calif. "All children in the community in that age range can come eat with us for free." Signs around the district headquarters advertise there is no eligibility requirement, and all kids are encouraged to take advantage.

That's why, along with a choice of sandwich, fresh fruit and milk, these free summer lunches come with a side of controversy.

For many low-income families, a free lunch means more money can go toward other meals or necessities. For others who can afford to feed their children, it's an easy way to get fed and go.

"Normally we wouldn't qualify for a free lunch, but we're close and it's convenient, and my kids like it -- that's important," says mom Julie Marks, who brings her two young sons a few times a week.

Taxpayer watchdog groups say most Americans are fine helping children truly in need. But Jon Coupal, with the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association, asks, "if someone is coming from a family that makes a quarter of a million dollars a year, and they're not checking eligibility when they're coming in the door, I think most people would wonder, 'Am I paying for this?'"

In many cases, sponsors and non-profit groups help arrange and promote the free meal sites in their community. According to program supporters, the summer lunch program is easier to administer when the location qualifies, as opposed to the individual user.

"We don't have to ask your income, because the overall purpose of the program is to provide a healthy meal to children," says Stovall.

Organizers contend after a summer of nourishing meals, these kids will do better when school resumes in the fall. Monitors are on hand to make sure the lunch is eaten on site, and that the adults don't mooch off the kids.

But those rules don't go far enough for critics who wonder if the "come one, come all" invitation won't have taxpayers feeding every child, whether they're needy or not.

perrhaps
08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Since children's minds develop better when regularly stimulated, why don't we also give these kids free laptops with their free lunches?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Nobody is showing up for a free lunch when they make 250,000 a year :roll:

I'm not a fan of handouts, but its just for kids.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Nobody is showing up for a free lunch when they make 250,000 a year :roll:

I'm not a fan of handouts, but its just for kids.

How do you know how much this person makes?

"Normally we wouldn't qualify for a free lunch, but we're close and it's convenient, and my kids like it -- that's important," says mom Julie Marks, who brings her two young sons a few times a week.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 06:01 PM
We dont, but the reality of it is nobody making 250,000 a year is showing up. This lady is making less then 75k I bet. :internetstats:

Hal-9000
08-07-2012, 06:08 PM
*puts on beanie and saddles up for free lunch*

8-[

Muddy
08-07-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm ok with the lunches if the kids really don't have the food.. This open door policy is a little frustrating however.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
And I bet that absolutely no illegals show up to eat at the taxpayer expense :)

Muddy
08-07-2012, 06:33 PM
And I bet that absolutely no illegals show up to eat at the taxpayer expense :)

If they are kids I would turn a blind eye.. They cant help it there parents are worthless..

Hal-9000
08-07-2012, 06:36 PM
yeah it's the 6' 4'' kids with mustaches named Juan you gotta watch :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm ok with the lunches if the kids really don't have the food.. This open door policy is a little frustrating however.

It is, but my point is, would you be showing up with your kids just to get a free lunch, or would you just feed them since you can afford it. I know I'm not going out of my way to take my kids to get a PB&J just because its free.

Muddy
08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
It is, but my point is, would you be showing up with your kids just to get a free lunch, or would you just feed them since you can afford it. I know I'm not going out of my way to take my kids to get a PB&J just because its free.

true true.. But you and I both make close to 100k a year so we are wired differently than some of the other population down there.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
If you feel the need to go out of your way to get your kids a free meal, you probably need it.

Muddy
08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
If you feel the need to go out of your way to get your kids a free meal, you probably need it.

Hey man I'll take 3 happy meals for free.. ? :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I refuse to let my kids eat from McDonalds :hand:

Muddy
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I refuse to let my kids eat from McDonalds :hand:

Per 'Eat his, not that' the chicken nugget meal with apple slices and the 2% milk it's one of the healthier choices out there..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
compared to what

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey man I'll take 3 happy meals for free.. ? :lol:

Exactly! So would a lot of other people that don't need the handout. That's why this policy of 'everybody welcome' on the taxpayer dime is BS

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
If it was free to adults I would be bitching too, but since its for kids under 18. I dont have an issue with it.

Muddy
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
compared to what

Compared to all the other fast food kid meals.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Compared to all the other fast food kid meals.

Hahahaha :facepalm:

I will get chicken fro El Pollo loco doesnt seem all that bad for you. Occasionally we will get some tacos/burritos from a fast food place. I try to avoid those places as much as possible, even more so when I'm feeding the kids. I think its a bad habit to get your kids into. Look how fat everyone is, fast food is the worst contributor. How often do you make your kids get apples instead of fries when you have all ready broke down and took them into MD.

Muddy
08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
How often do you make your kids get apples instead of fries when you have all ready broke down and took them into MD.

Every single time.. true story.. It's a compromise they have to make.. You can have McDonalds but you can't eat the sludge inside the toilets..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Hahaha. The fries are the best part