PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight Rises Screening Incident: Man Arrested With Gun, Knives at Ohio Theater

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
by Rebecca Macatee - E! Online

Only a few weeks after The Dark Knight Rises tragedy, another incident apparently involving weapons at a screening of the film was resolved peacefully.

Police in Westlake, Ohio, tell Cleveland's The Plain Dealer they arrested Scott Smith on Saturday for allegedly bringing several weapons and ammunition into a theater set to show the Christopher Nolan film.

An off-duty officer working at the cinema discovered Smith, 37, had a loaded gun, extra ammunition clips and four knives in a satchel, say the police.

"After Colorado anything is possible," said Lt. Ray Arcuri. "When you consider the movie he was going to and what happened in Colorado, you have To wonder what would make him want to bring weapons into that particular film. Our police did a great job spotting him."

Per Arcuri, Westlake Officer Jeremiah Bullins was off duty and working security at the Regal Cinema around 10 p.m. when he saw the theater manager talking to a man carrying a satchel. Bullins then followed the man (Smith) into the theater and sat down.

"Bullins looked inside and saw a loaded Glock 9 millimeter handgun; two fully loaded magazine clips, three knives in the bag and one on his person," said Lt. Arcuri. "When Bullins asked why he carried the weapons into the theater, the man said, 'No problem. I'll put them in my car.' But it was too late for that." (Matthew Bruce, an attorney for Smith says "if he did bring a handgun to the theater it would have been for his personal protection and there would have been no intention of shooting anyone or causing a panic.")

Smith was arrested and taken to Westlake jail. Police believe Smith has a wife and young daughter, spent a short time in the military and did not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Per police, he does not have a criminal record. He remains in custody, and per the police, is not cooperating with authorities.

Just over two weeks prior to Smith's arrest, James Holmes killed 12 and injured 58 people during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo. He was arrested and charged with 24 counts of murder and 116 counts of attempted murder.

Hal-9000
08-07-2012, 10:26 PM
So what's the verdict people....was he protecting himself or was he going to do something shitty?

Pony
08-07-2012, 11:29 PM
He was up to something. That's way above and beyond "personal protection" I'm wondering where he is from, Westlake is high middle class but the theater is in a shopping plaza near the highway.

From another article

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/719663/thumbs/s-SCOTT-SMITH-DARK-KNIGHT-RISES-large.jpg

Scott Smith, 37, was arrested Saturday night after allegedly bringing guns, ammo and knives into a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," Ohio police say.

Smith reportedly arrived in the Regal Westlake theater about an hour early for a 10 p.m. movie, and sat down in the back row, according to Fox-5.

Police later searched Smith man's home where other weapons were found, including seven rifles, five or six handguns, lots of ammo, gas masks and bulletproof vests, ABC-5 reported.

Smith, who served in the military for a brief period, did not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, according to ABC-5 and TMZ.

Smith was charged with four counts of carrying various weapons, one count of carrying a concealed weapon with no permit, and one count of carrying a weapon while having a disability, according to ABC-5.

It was not immediately clear what Smith's disability is, and police do not yet know of a motive for his alleged crime.

Edit: answered my own question. He was from North Ridgeville (we call it Ridgetucky around here if that gives you an indication of the population)

Hugh_Janus
08-07-2012, 11:34 PM
he was going for the high score

Richard Cranium
08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
2 spare mags is not by any means excessive.

Hal-9000
08-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I think if he had the concealed weapon's permit and one handgun, things may have boded well for him :lol:

Bag full of guns n knives kinda screams - I'm up to shit here...

DemonGeminiX
08-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Maybe he was hunting the Grue.

:-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 01:16 AM

Sure, if you are walking thru downtown Baghdad maybe

Hal-9000
08-08-2012, 02:06 AM
I am ....The Batman!

http://i.imgur.com/198h9.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Hey man, you gotta protect and defend your popcorn bucket somehow.

Loser
08-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Sure, if you are walking thru downtown Baghdad maybe

My dad is a retired officer, and to this day, whenever he carries his sidearm *99% of the time*, he carries extra magazines.

I carry 'at least' one spare magazine, and I carry all day, every day, since I was 18 years old.

RBP
08-08-2012, 04:35 AM
I carry a spare magazine too.... sometimes Maxim, sometimes the New Yorker.

Loser
08-08-2012, 04:39 AM
Sorry, didn't use the anti-firearm friendly term "Clip" :lol:

RBP
08-08-2012, 04:40 AM
:lol:

redred
08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I carry a spare magazine too.... sometimes Maxim, sometimes the New Yorker.

you should upgrade to an E reader you can get those mags on a pdf format and will take up less space :lol:

FBD
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM

true, but four knives kinda is :lol:

Acid Trip
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
My dad is a retired officer, and to this day, whenever he carries his sidearm *99% of the time*, he carries extra magazines.

I carry 'at least' one spare magazine, and I carry all day, every day, since I was 18 years old.

I usually carry one or two spare. Never more than two though.