PDA

View Full Version : Saving baby eases losses for Corpus Christi police hero

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 10:37 AM
By Mike Baird - The Corpus Christi Caller

http://i.imgur.com/QjGYN.jpg

CORPUS CHRISTI — Police Lt. Phillip Bintliff saved a life for the third time Sunday.

Bintliff said he still has nightmares for lives he couldn't save the past 12 years on the force. But bringing a 7-month-old boy back from the brink of death helps.

"I love being out there," the 42-year-old said about his patrol job. "Any officer would do the same."

In a crazy and hectic moment inside a private residence, Bintliff gave the baby's parents tasks as he took charge, said Cmdr. Heidi Frese, in charge of uniformed police. The baby was blue and unresponsive, she told about 50 Corpus Christi Police Department employees at an awards presentation Wednesday.

"Lt. Bintliff — Phil — your actions are just extraordinary," Frese said, before Chief Floyd Simpson presented him his third lifesaving award.

"Your actions are above and beyond what we pay you to do," Simpson said. "And I know you will go out and do it again. If you save 1,000 lives, we should give you 1,000 awards."

About two years ago, Bintliff ran into the surf near Bob Hall Pier and carried two drowning boys, 11 and 12, out of the water. In December 2010, he dived into Corpus Christi Bay alongside Ocean Drive and forced doors open on a submerged SUV to yank out a woman in her early 20s. Only about an inch of air was left in the vehicle.

Bintliff was a block away Sunday when the call came: a baby on a breathing tube was unconscious.

He asked the father to wait outside to meet medics and requested the health provider to continue clearing a clogged air tube. She got a breathing bag working as Bintliff began chest compressions. Then he noticed a heart rate monitor wasn't hooked up, so he asked the mother to attach it to the baby's toe.

Flat line.

"To see '000' is absolutely terrifying for any parent," said Bintliff, the father of four daughters, ages 9 to 23.

He recalled the baby he lost, despite giving CPR, at a traffic crash site before.

"I wasn't going to stop," Bintliff said about continuing compressions more than two minutes. "I knew babies could be resilient."

He stayed focused on the boy in front of him, who opened his eyes and began to cry.

"I remember looking up and seeing 85 beats," Bintliff said. "Utter relief."