PDA

View Full Version : Papa John's Pizza To Raise Prices Because Of Obamacare, CEO John Schnatter Says

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 12:06 PM
The Huffington Post | By Harry Bradford

http://i.imgur.com/gdH45.gif

After President Obama's health care law takes full effect, the slogan for national pizza chain Papa John's may need an update. Instead of, “Better ingredients. Better Pizza,” may we suggest, “Better health care. Pricier pizza."

Papa John's CEO John Schnatter says that Obamacare will result in a $0.11 to $0.14 price increase per pizza, or $0.15 to $0.20 cents per order, Pizza Marketplace, a trade publication, reports.

Under Obamacare, the company, which is the third-largest pizza takeout and delivery chain in the United States, will have to offer health care coverage to more of its 16,500 total employees or pay a penalty to the government.

The National Restaurant Association pointed out following the health care law's Supreme Court approval that it may adversely affect restaurants’ ability to maintain already slim profit margins because it requires companies of more than 50 employees to provide affordable health insurance.

One Papa John's franchise owner in Texas, Judy Nichols, says the law could interfere with her ability to open more restaurants.

“I have two options, I can stop offering coverage and pay the $2,000 fine, or I could keep my number of staff under 50 so the mandate doesn't apply,” she told Legal Newsline. Nichols added that the law may cost her between $20,000 to $30,000 extra in taxes. “Obamacare is making me think about cutting jobs instead," she said.

But with strong sales last quarter and more than 1,500 new retail locations planned in the near future, Schnatter doesn't seem all that bothered -- perhaps because he intends to pass those health care costs on to customers.

“We're not supportive of Obamacare, like most businesses in our industry,” Schnatter was quoted as saying in Politico. “But our business model and unit economics are about as ideal as you can get for a food company to absorb Obamacare."

McDonald’s also expects Obamacare to cost each of its 14,000 franchises between $10,000 and $30,000 annually, according to Businessweek. But, like Schnatter, the company remains optimistic it is well placed to handle the extra costs.

Representatives from other restaurant chains may be less hopeful, however, including Burger King, Quiznos and Dunkin’ Donuts, all which have expressed concern the law may hurt business, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Muddy
08-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't eat their turd pizza anyway.. Have fun pricing yourself out of the game.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
You're clearly insane, they are the best of the "Big Three" pizza chains without question

Muddy
08-08-2012, 12:30 PM
I dont eat any of the big three.. I stick to mom and pop.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Sadly, those places around here don't deliver, and when I want pizza, I want it delivered.

redred
08-08-2012, 12:45 PM
i don't think i've ever had a pizza delivered :lol: i tend to make my own and the little girl enjoys putting on the toppings herself

Southern Belle
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Nothing is free. Including health care. The only people who really support it are the ones who won't have to pay for it.

Acid Trip
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
You're clearly insane, they are the best of the "Big Three" pizza chains without question

Garlic dipping sauce :drool:

Muddy
08-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Lance- I usually just pick one up on the way home from work

Richard Cranium
08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Mom and Pop are going to be raising prices as well, or just going out of business..

Muddy
08-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Mom and Pop are going to be raising prices as well, or just going out of business..

Mom and pop have 3 employees, so I doubt it..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I dont eat any of the big three.. I stick to mom and pop.

:tup: Me too, if Im eating pizza I want the good stuff. I'll pay $20 for a real pizza instead of $5 for some garbage. That being said Papa Johns is they best fast food pizza

Muddy
08-08-2012, 03:55 PM
The company bought Pizza slut last week and it was pretty good I will admit..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Its typically to greasy for me. But, I will eat it, I just dont buy it

Muddy
08-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Its typically to greasy for me. But, I will eat it, I just dont buy it

This was the deep dish.. The crust was like a toasty buttery bread.. I guess it could be called greasy in a certain way..

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
oily see thru the box nasty :lol:

FBD
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
:lol:

never had papa john's, I've got so many excellent mom & pop places around here, chains just dont wind up getting any of my business. except for Moe's.

Muddy
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah, Moes is decent.. Chipotle as well.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I think I'm gonna order an Obama Pizza :-k

Griffin
08-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I think I'm gonna order an Obama Pizza :-k

is that the one the make with government cheese?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
is that the one the make with government cheese?

Nope, it's the one that after you pay for it, someone comes in and takes half and gives it away to other people :tup:

Hal-9000
08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
oh woo woo woo...an employer actually has to offer healthcare to it's employees...

ffs most of our employers do that as a selling point to attract employees....and 14 cents extra per pizza????

wooby wooby woo woo....

Lambchop
08-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Slightly confused here. Isn't the idea over in the US that people who work, especially for a large and well-established business like Papa John's, have the benefit of a good health care plan?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Healthcare is an incentive or like a bonus. People will take lesser paying jobs sometimes because they offer such good health care plans.

Arkady Renko
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
oh woo woo woo...an employer actually has to offer healthcare to it's employees...

ffs most of our employers do that as a selling point to attract employees....and 14 cents extra per pizza????

wooby wooby woo woo....

yeah, I was going to ask if they'd like some whine with their pizza. how much is that as compared to the price of one pizza - 1% ? 2% ?

deebakes
08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
papa johns > dominoes > pizza hut

fuckin' obama :x