PDA

View Full Version : Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/sites/all/files/images/-9.img_assist_custom-640x465.png

"The federal government administers nearly 80 different overlapping federal means-tested welfare programs," the Senate Budget Committee notes. However, the committee states, the figures used in the chart do not include those who are only benefiting from Social Security and/or Medicare.

Food stamps and Medicaid make up a large--and growing--chunk of the more than 100 million recipients. "Among the major means tested welfare programs, since 2000 Medicaid has increased from 34 million people to 54 million in 2011 and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, or food stamps) from 17 million to 45 million in 2011," says the Senate Budget Committee. "Spending on food stamps alone is projected to reach $800 billion over the next decade."

The data come "from the U.S. Census’s Survey of Income and Program Participation shows that nearly 110,000 million individuals received a welfare benefit in 2011. (These figures do not include other means-tested benefits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit or the health insurance premium subsidies included in the President’s health care law. CBO estimates that the premium subsidies, scheduled to begin in 2014, will cover at least 25 million individuals by the end of the decade.)"

This is not just Americans, however. "These figures include not only citizens, but non-citizens as well," according to the committee.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 08:07 PM
1/3 of the US population :dance:

Muddy
08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
And about 80% of them live in California.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F4LtTlktm0

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 08:12 PM
And about 80% of them live in California.. :lol:

Probably :(

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Imma quit my job and get on de welfare :banana:

Lambchop
08-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I wonder what percentage actually need or deserve it.

Hal-9000
08-08-2012, 09:26 PM
I wonder what percentage actually need or deserve it.

I was thinking similar...if the government would set up a system that actually monitors and gives to those only in need, the number would drop I bet

thinking of the recent lottery winner who was still allowed to receive food stamps, until the media exposed the story...

RBP
08-08-2012, 09:29 PM
:usa:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-08-2012, 11:10 PM
You can have a full time job and still get food stamps I'm hearing. My friend was saying how a few of her coworkers get them :roll:

Southern Belle
08-09-2012, 02:46 AM
You can have a full time job and still get food stamps I'm hearing. My friend was saying how a few of her coworkers get them :roll:

According to their income and how many children they have.
Having said that, women without much education and lots of children can have full time jobs and still not make enough to support them. Not defending, just saying.

Arkady Renko
08-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Having said that, women without much education and lots of children can have full time jobs and still not make enough to support them. Not defending, just saying.

I think these are the cases where a welfare type support may often make sense. If the recipients demonstrably work hard to make ends meet and take good care of their kids, society is probably better off helping them for a limited time span rather than letting them fend for themselves. Particulalry when there's no cash payout.

Acid Trip
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you explained how these women were forced into that life by Mexican Cartels.

You mean they weren't forced into doing those things? That's called bad life choices. If we paid everyone who made bad decisions we'd all be broke.

Oh wait, this country is broke. Imagine that.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-09-2012, 03:23 PM

These are single people working full time living at home. :roll: Its criminal

FBD
08-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you explained how these women were forced into that life by Mexican Cartels.

You mean they weren't forced into doing those things? That's called bad life choices. If we paid everyone who made bad decisions we'd all be broke.

Oh wait, this country is broke. Imagine that.
Only TBTF and the government gets paid for bad decisions