PDA

View Full Version : Drivers' newest nemesis -- stop-sign cameras

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2012, 04:05 PM
By Joseph Weber - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/uNCG3.jpg

Thinking about rolling through that stop sign the next time nobody’s looking? Think again.

On top of red-light cameras and speed cameras, some jurisdictions are starting to install stop-sign cameras in their seemingly never-ending quest to monitor drivers and catch them in the act of some ticket-able offense. California has already rolled out cameras at stop signs. Maryland and the nation's capital could be next.

Maryland right now allows only red-light cameras, but the town of Glen Echo wants the state legislature to expand government’s reach to include photo-ticketing for intersections with stop signs.

Glen Echo is just a leafy, suburban Washington town wanting only one camera for an intersection that handles roughly 200,000 vehicles a year.

But the country’s biggest motorist-advocacy group has concerns about changes to Maryland law leading to a proliferation of the still-new enforcement technology.

“This could be the camel’s nose under the tent,” AAA mid-Atlantic spokesman John B. Townsend II told FoxNews.com.

The District of Columbia is already considering a plan to spend $5.8 million on a traffic-enforcement plan that would include stop-sign cameras and ones that could detect and ticket vehicles speeding up to get through a yellow light.

Critics of such programs argue they are more about generating cash than making roads safer, including in the District, where some of the cameras are on four-lane roads with no homes or schools in sight. The city’s network of cameras to nab speeders and red-light runners last year took in roughly $55 million, according to AAA.

“The push for more automated traffic enforcement has nothing to do with revenue,” Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said this spring in support of expanding the automated program. “I'm motivated to promote traffic safety because I don't want to see anymore fatal accident victims who have been ejected from their shoes by the force of the crash impact.”

Beyond more stop-sign cameras being added to the thousands of other cameras already in more than 550 communities across the country, Townsend has concerns about the technology and how Maryland legislators might rework the statute.

He says the law now reads that all four wheels must come to a stop.

“That’s so nebulous that nobody knows what you mean,” Townsend said. “And for how long do you have to be stopped?”

Still, Townsend points out that 40 percent of all fatal crashes in the country occur at intersections with stop signs.

Such cameras are already in the Santa Monica Mountains just west of the city of Los Angeles, which last year shut off its 32 red-light cameras amid questions about their effectiveness and problems collecting fines.

The seven cameras in the mountain parks -- from the Hollywood Hills to the Malibu coast -- took in a reported $2.4 million in fiscal 2010, despite posted warnings.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-09-2012, 04:07 PM
:wtf:

Muddy
08-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Bring em on.. Nobody stops anymore.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Here's an idea, how about the cops go out and actually do their job instead

Muddy
08-09-2012, 04:32 PM

We should have one at every stop sign in town...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
No, we should have cameras every 50 feet anywhere and everywhere just in case someone does something where they can get a ticket to generate revenue for the city/county/state

Muddy
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
We should have optic implants and be scanned at every intersection...

PorkChopSandwiches
08-09-2012, 04:40 PM
I would like my car equipped to auto issue a ticket anytime it can verify I am speeding as well.

Muddy
08-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I would like my car equipped to auto issue a ticket anytime it can verify I am speeding as well.

:lol: Hell yes!

redred
08-09-2012, 05:18 PM
We've had these for years :roll:

Acid Trip
08-09-2012, 05:28 PM
We've had these for years :roll:

Because England is a police state. We are trying to avoid your mistakes.

redred
08-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Yet on this you follow us

PorkChopSandwiches
08-09-2012, 05:33 PM
It stupid, CA has all ready removed all the traffic light cameras, so now they will install stop sign cameras :roll:

Hal-9000
08-09-2012, 06:59 PM
this is one of my peeves...

You're driving along and have the right of way for miles...all cross streets have stop signs. You see some mook at a cross street roll up to the stop sign, hesitate and then pull out at the last minute making you slam on the binders :x

wtf...either run the sign or stop like you should....don't hedge and then cause a shit-fest

Hugh_Janus
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM

and when they pull you over for running that stop sign, the old "haven't you got anything better to do?" line will come out

FBD
08-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Sooner or later the citizens will start taking these fucking things out. This is a bullshit 4th amendment violation that has *everything* to do with revenue generation. Just because some dumbass cop says its about safety, we're pretty damned sure he's "putting every last penny of that revenue collection to good use" - it makes me wonder what sort of armaments those cops have. They are getting ridiculous.

Acid Trip
08-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Stop sign cameras, red light cameras, etc all lead up to this.

NYPD unveils new $40 million super computer system that uses data from network of cameras, license plate readers and crime reports

http://i.imgur.com/MlpTm.jpg

The NYPD is starting to look like a flashy, forensic crime TV show thanks to a new super computer system unveiled Wednesday near Wall St.

The Domain Awareness System designed by the NYPD and Microsoft Corp. uses data from a network of cameras, radiation detectors, license plate readers and crime reports, officials said.

“We’re not your mom and pop police department anymore,” Mayor Bloomberg crowed. “We are in the next century. We are leading the pack.”

The system, which cost somewhere between $30 and $40 million to develop, could also help pay for itself with the city expecting to earn 30% of the profits on Microsoft sales to other city’s and countries, Bloomberg said.

The joint venture began when the NYPD approached Microsoft about the effort, officials said.

Cops were involved with the programmers throughout the process, earning the city its cut of the proceeds.

Officials declined to predict how much the city’s share of the system could be worth.

“For years, we’ve been stovepiped as far as databases are concerned,” NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. “Now, everything that we have about an incident, an event, an individual comes together on that workbench, so it’s one-stop shopping for investigators.”

http://i.imgur.com/zc7ff.jpg

NYPD's new super computer system is a joint venture between the city and Microsoft. The system uses data from a network of cameras and allows cops to access information from living video feeds.

Using the new system, investigators will be able to access information through live video feeds and could potentially see who left a suspicious package behind just moments later, Kelly said.

The system will also allow cops to get a reading on radioactive substances, and determine if it is naturally occurring, some kind of weapon or a harmless isotope used in medical treatments.

“We can track where a car associated with a murder suspect is currently located and where it’s been over the past several days, weeks or months,” Kelly said. “This is a system developed by police officers for police officers.”

The system will also check license plate numbers to a watch list and alert investigators if a match is detected and quickly pull up crime reports, arrests and warrants on a suspect.

The system has some civil liberties advocates warning of Big Brother type surveillance.

“We fully support the police using technology to combat crime and terrorism, but law-abiding New Yorkers should not end up in a police database every time they walk their dog, go to the doctor, or drive around Manhattan,” said New York Civil Liberties Union Associate Legal Director Chris Dunn.

FBD
08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
civil liberties dont exist in nyc

Arkady Renko
08-10-2012, 10:42 AM

guarding stop signs? And every time the driver disputes the ticket, the cop has to appear in court as witness, usually months after that fact. Seems to me that adding automated control systems to red lights and stop signs is a fairly efficient way to ensure the traffic code is respected at least to some extent.

Hugh_Janus
08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Sooner or later the citizens will start taking these fucking things out. This is a bullshit 4th amendment violation that has *everything* to do with revenue generation. Just because some dumbass cop says its about safety, we're pretty damned sure he's "putting every last penny of that revenue collection to good use" - it makes me wonder what sort of armaments those cops have. They are getting ridiculous.
its quite simple really.... if you don't want to give them money, don't break the law :lol:

Hal-9000
08-10-2012, 10:05 PM
its quite simple really.... if you don't want to give them money, don't break the law :lol:

don't bring logic and common sense into it now ....

talk to them about speeding Hugh, some feel it's a right, not a privelage :lol:

Hugh_Janus
08-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I got caught speeding once.... it was a violation of my 4th amendment, which apparently is my right to be above the law :d

FBD
08-12-2012, 03:13 PM

ergo, lay down and accept any "law" foisted upon you?