PDA

View Full Version : Facebook page calls for American-only hours at U.S. Costco

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Fed up with long lines, rude Canadians at Bellingham, Wash. store
CBC News

http://i.imgur.com/hP4s6.jpg

Many Canadians are taking advantage of the high Canadian dollar by shopping across the border — with cheap milk and gas being two of the big draws — but some Americans are fed up with the cross-border crowd.

Some Bellingham, Wa., residents started a Facebook page calling for American-only hours at the local Costco.

On the Facebook page "Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans," residents write that they have seen flats of milk stripped away in seconds.

Some write that they have to wait in long lines at the Costco gas station as Canadians fill up first their cars, and then their gas cans.

Others have posted photos of cars with British Columbia licence plates that take up more than one parking space.

Some just complain about Canadians being rude.

Ken Oplinger, president of the Bellingham/Whatcom Chamber of Commerce, is urging locals to have patience for their Canadians visitors. He said that without them, the living situation in the city and county would be quite different.

"In the last two years, our sales tax generation has doubled or tripled the pace in the rest of the state, and its almost entirely because of the Canadians coming south," he said.

The administrator of the Facebook page, which had over 2,000 "Likes" as of Sunday, posted a message earlier this week telling Canadians that they are not being blamed.

"To our Canadian friends on here that think we hate you: You have to look at the root of the problem. Bellingham has laws that keep big box companys from expanding. The overcrowding in this small, slow paced town has agitated people," the note said.

A spokesperson for Costco said the Bellingham store is bursting at the seams, and that the company would love to expand the Bellingham store.

It would also like to install more lines and pumps at its gas station, but there's no room to do so on the current property.

While the Bellingham Facebook community page implores Costco to set aside special opening hours for Americans, just as it used to do for preferred customers, some commenters want the Canadians just to go away.

A senior VP told CBC News that the store isn't looking to change its policy on shoppers, which is that anyone with a Costco membership can shop at any Costco store in the world.

According to a report by Seattle's KIRO TV, Bellingham police said that Costco is now paying for an off-duty officer to handle the parking lot crowd two days a week.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
:racist:

Godfather
08-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Just got home. Thanks for the cheap stuff and great times America :mrgreen: We had a blast and were of course very welcomed everywhere we went.

Damn groceries are cheap down there, not to mention how much more cool junk food fills the shelves, and that beer in Wal-Mart is almost as inexpensive as soda pop is up here :lol:

And Bellingham, you're welcome for injecting hundreds of my dollars into your economy... sorry I had to witness separate 3 domestic disputes/screaming matches from locals in 25 minutes at your Wal-Mart though. :P

Hal-9000
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
someone is taking advantage of it's cross border neighbors????? :shock:

never heard of that before :shifty:

DemonGeminiX
08-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Just got home. Thanks for the cheap stuff and great times America :mrgreen: We had a blast and were of course very welcomed everywhere we went.

Damn groceries are cheap down there, not to mention how much more cool junk food fills the shelves, and that beer in Wal-Mart is almost as inexpensive as soda pop is up here :lol:

And Bellingham, you're welcome for injecting hundreds of my dollars into your economy... sorry I had to witness separate 3 domestic disputes in 25 minutes at your Wal-Mart though. :P

Now watch your city's economy fail because you spend your money down here instead of locally.

:nana:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Now watch your city's economy fail because you spend your money down here instead of locally.

:lol:

Godfather
08-13-2012, 04:05 PM

:lol:

I think there are few who actually go down regularly, Bellingham is just pissed because everyone who does, stops there first. You're only allowed to bring back about $200 worth of stuff, and it's a very long drive from Vancouver with border line-ups. Nullifies cheap gas in a hurry.

But along related lines, and this will probably be controversial... I was actually shocked at some of the towns and hamlets on the US 101 down the Oregon coast on this road trip... I hadn't driven it in over 10 years, and Wow has it ever aged. Quite a few farms, homes and small towns that are just totally decrepit. Falling down, boarded up, held up with worn out tarps. We camped near Eureka, CA and the commercial vacancy in that town looked like 75% on the main strip. Driving back on the i5 was a lot different, and that's probably the reason the areas of the 101 are dieing, but still, you could film some post-apocalyptic stuff in some areas on that beautiful coast line.

Hal-9000
08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
We will expect a thread featuring your pictures GF :thumbsup:

I was 11 the last time I was on that highway...

Pony
08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
You all are welcome to come spend your money in Cleveland.

Godfather
08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Will do!

It's a beautiful drive eh, we had an amazing time camping down the coast. San Fran is a cool city, hadn't been there ever before. Stayed in Portland coming home too, and that's a wicked place as well.