PDA

View Full Version : Prosecutors: Man, 73, makes false bomb threat aboard Metra train

Teh One Who Knocks
08-13-2012, 11:18 AM
By Rosemary R. Sobol - Chicago Tribune

http://i.imgur.com/GUjyj.jpg

A Joliet man in his 70s who is a military veteran had a $50,000 bail set today after being accused of saying he had a “10 megaton bomb’’ in his bag aboard a Metra train during rush hour Friday afternoon on the South Side.

“You’re 73 years old, is that right?’’ Judge Donald Panarese asked King E. Griffin during his bond hearing midday Saturday.

Griffin replied “yes’’ but made no other statement during the hearing, in which Panarese set bail at $50,000 for Griffin, who is charged with felony disorderly conduct.

While on a Rock Island train Friday afternoon Griffin said to riders: “Nobody touch my bag, I have a 10 megaton bomb,’’ prosecutors said.

During the bond hearing, Griffin was wearing a dark-colored hoodie, faded blue jeans and gym shoes while holding a dark-colored baseball hat in his hands behind his back.

Griffin, a military veteran, has four prior felony convictions, including two possession of controlled substances charges, a burglary charge and a theft charge, prosecutors said.

Metra police responded to the 35th Street station on the Metra’s Rock Island Line, 106 W. 35th St., about 5:10 p.m. after getting reports that a man on board the train said he had a bomb in his backpack, according to a police report.

The conductor told responding officers that Griffin said: “Nobody touch my bag, I have a 10 megaton bomb in my bag,’ before walking away from his backpack that was on a seat, the report said. Griffin was found near a restroom on the train, which was carrying about 45 to 50 passengers.

During a discussion with responding officers, he told one: “It is all a joke; I told everyone I have a 10 megaton bomb in my backpack,’’ the report said.

The train was searched, and no bomb was found.

Griffin, who police said is of Joliet, is scheduled to appear in court next on Aug. 17.