PDA

View Full Version : It's hot now, but forecasters see a big winter coming

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Experts say some parts of the country could see large snowstorms and lots of rain

By Ron Scherer
Staff Writer
Christian Science Monitor

Last winter, big cities like New York and Philadelphia saved a lot of money because the Northeast had a snow drought. Not so this winter.

Yes, even while air conditioners are still running, meteorologists are beginning to focus on the long-term winter weather forecast. And, it looks as if the I-95-corridor cities from Washington to Boston will need to make sure the plows are gassed up and rock salt plentiful.

“I think the East Coast is going to have some battles with some big storms,” says Paul Pastelok, Accu-Weather’s lead long-term forecaster in State College, Pa.

However, Mr. Pastelok predicts the battles won’t start until January and then will extend into February. “November in the Northeast could be above-normal temperatures and below-normal precipitation, and December could be a transition month,” he says. “By January and February it’s going to get pretty cold.”

The cold will collide with moisture flowing up the East Coast, he says, resulting in some big snowstorms that could create travel problems, close school systems and create challenges for retailers.

“The good news is that the winter will be good for hats, gloves, scarves, rock salt, and the plowing industry,” says Scott Bernhardt, president of Planalytics, Inc. a business weather intelligence service in Berwyn, Pa. “It’s bad for store traffic, because other than urban areas it’s hard to get around, and restaurants also take a hit because people just don’t go out.”

Last winter no indicator

Mr. Bernhardt says the possibility of a severe winter has yet to hit some of the businesses he talks to. “It’s crazy how many businesses plan off last year,” he says. “And, it’s a no-brainer that it’s not going to be as nice as last year.”

Last year, the worst snowstorm in the Northeast occurred in late October, when some areas got as much as twelve inches of snow. The precipitation came at a time when the trees in most areas still had their leaves. As a result, the snow toppled trees and branches onto power lines, causing massive power outages that lasted as long as two weeks for some homeowners.

The difference this year is that a powerful current that runs along the coast of South America is in the process of shifting from a La Nina, with colder water temperatures, to an El Nino, which results in warmer seawater temperatures in the eastern tropical Pacific. “It changes the weather patterns,” says Pastelok.

Using this summer’s weather as a template, Pastelok looked for what happened in the winter in other years when a weak to moderate El Nino formed. He found a similar pattern in 2002/2003 and 1953/1954.

In those years, storms early in the season drenched the Southeast and then headed out to sea. But, then later in the winter, the snows came.

Experts: Could history repeat itself?

According to the National Weather Service office in Boston, the winter of 2002/2003 featured below-normal temperatures and above-normal snowfall in many locations. “It was the coldest winter in nine years since 1993-1994,” wrote the Weather Service, noting that it was a “stark contrast” to the prior winter, which was the mildest on record. In 2002/2003, the temperature was 10 degrees colder than 2001/2002.

Pastelok thinks the Southeast could actually get the worst of it this winter. He can envision flooding in the late fall followed by snow and ice this winter all the way down to the Gulf Coast. “Tallahassee could have some snow and ice issues this winter,” he forecasts.

He says the middle of the country is harder to forecast. In general, he anticipates the Central Plains will get drier again. That area has been suffering from a drought but has recently had some precipitation. “We will know better in October,” he says. The weather forecasters will issue a more detailed winter forecast at that point.

This article, "Snow in August? It's steamy now, but forecasters see a big winter coming." first appeared in on CSMonitor.com

Southern Belle
08-16-2012, 01:31 AM
Ugh, snow. *shudders*

deebakes
08-16-2012, 01:36 AM
:woot: 4 :cold:

Southern Belle
08-16-2012, 01:47 AM
:snapout:

Griffin
08-16-2012, 01:54 AM
It will be another mild winter creating more droughts around the planet.
An early spring and extremely hot summer will cause a lot of glacial calfing from the poles throwing the earth into a deep apogee from the sun.

Good news is that the Mayans missed it by 2 years.:thumbsup:

deebakes
08-16-2012, 02:05 AM
:snapout:

no... i hate the heat...

fucking lebron...

Southern Belle
08-16-2012, 02:35 AM
I love heat and hate cold.

deebakes
08-16-2012, 02:37 AM
different strokes, different folks :idk:

Southern Belle
08-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Yeah, it's what you get used to. Since is rarely gets colder than 20 F here, I just can't deal with extreme cold. I can stand 100F temps better.

Loser
08-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Was it the same jackass forecasters that predicted a mild summer back in early march? :roll:

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2012, 04:01 AM
I don't know, but the summer down here in Georgia has been pretty mild. And the summer's down here are usually brutal. Anyway, it's better to be safe than sorry. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

Hal-9000
08-16-2012, 04:17 AM
It's been hotter in most places and weird all over the world...let's not shit each other :lol: We've had an extremely muggy summer and we live in one of the driest climates north of the Sahara

The only person I trust for seasonal predictions is my Auntie, who's lived on a farm for her entire life. She's rarely been wrong.

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2012, 04:18 AM
It's been hotter in most places and weird all over the world...let's not shit each other :lol: We've had an extremely muggy summer and we live in one of the driest climates north of the Sahara

The only person I trust for seasonal predictions is my Auntie, who's lived on a farm for her entire life. She's rarely been wrong.

Did she say anything about the winter yet?

:-k

Hal-9000
08-16-2012, 04:33 AM
She talks about our winters...haven't heard much about the upcoming one. We consider it bad form to talk about the season of death before we have to endure it. We're still trying to pretend it's spring :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2012, 04:34 AM
The season of death.

:lol:

Hal-9000
08-16-2012, 04:40 AM
Muddy laughed when I referred to snow as the silent blanket of death :lol:

Think about it....October it snows, the snow stays on the ground until April in different forms....every tree, plant, animal from the summer either hibernates or dies...nothing moves, it's constantly gray or black outside and the temperature varies between -35C and 7C if you're lucky. Old people die, people with illnesses die more often in the winter than other seasons...and it's so quiet, the atmosphere is eerie...

I know you guys aren't idiots, but when it snows near your part of the country it's a novelty for kids, that melts within 48 hours. We have to live and work in it 7 days a week for at least 6 months. It's death personified through nature :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2012, 04:43 AM
You should go back in time and chastise your ancestors for not moving south.

Hal-9000
08-16-2012, 04:49 AM
I hate it more every year :|

Does it show? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2012, 04:51 AM
:hand:

NAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Loser
08-16-2012, 04:56 AM
I have a wood stove in the garage I could hook up in the house. So as long as the forest doesn't disappear, I'm good :P

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Summer here has been brutally hot, the hottest it's been in the 17 years I've lived here. I hope they're right about the snow, we had a way below average snowfall last year and we need A LOT of snow this winter to make up for it.

March is Denver's #1 snowiest month and April is #3....we got exactly ZERO snow after mid-February :|

FBD
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
you can thank the jet stream :D and the resultant polar vortex that kept it batshit cold up in alaska. results of sunspot funk.

Muddy
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Muddy laughed when I referred to snow as the silent blanket of death :lol:

Think about it....October it snows, the snow stays on the ground until April in different forms....every tree, plant, animal from the summer either hibernates or dies...nothing moves, it's constantly gray or black outside and the temperature varies between -35C and 7C if you're lucky. Old people die, people with illnesses die more often in the winter than other seasons...and it's so quiet, the atmosphere is eerie...

I know you guys aren't idiots, but when it snows near your part of the country it's a novelty for kids, that melts within 48 hours. We have to live and work in it 7 days a week for at least 6 months. It's death personified through nature :thumbsup:

I do enjoy our 3-5 snow storms a year.. But you're right.. It would suck if it didn't melt after a while..

redred
08-16-2012, 02:34 PM
too hot , too cold that all us brits hear from you guys :roll: try putting up with rain every day of the year :lol:

FBD
08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I've been to the pacific northwest and experienced liquid sunshine before :lol: And the scenery's better :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2012, 09:44 PM
too hot , too cold that all us brits hear from you guys :roll: try putting up with rain every day of the year :lol:

You'd learn to appreciate the rain and quit bitching about it if you went without any moisture of any kind for 3 or 4 months in a row