PDA

View Full Version : How Confrontational Are You IRL?

Lambchop
08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
A few scenarios:

You're waiting in the queue at a shop and someone cuts in front of you.

A young man bumps into you on purpose when he's with a group of friends.

Do you confront the person or just leave it?

As a general rule I will always confront someone when I feel that they have been rude or attempted to physically harm me but this tends to get me into trouble. I've had security called on me for arguing with queue-jumpers & I've also been outnumbered in a 'fight' following confrontations with other young guys who think it's funny to push into me.

Would appreciate it if you shared your stories & philosophy on the matter.

Thanks,

Lamb

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2012, 06:28 PM
1. You're waiting in the queue at a shop and someone cuts in front of you.

2. A young man bumps into you on purpose when he's with a group of friends.

1. Reach up, grab him/her by the collar and forcefully yank them back out of line. If they try to give you any grief, give them "the eye".

2. Punch him in the face, kick him in the nuts, then give the group "the eye".

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 06:30 PM
I confront them...

I was standing in line at a drugstore, where the they literally have little chutes with walls full of magazines etc and this older gentleman started throwing his stuff down near the till.

I said - Excuse me, I was kinda in line here.

He huffily grabs his stuff and gets behind me muttering the whole time. I heard ..." Kinda in line, what the fuck does that mean" and then " Either you're in line or you're not"

the guy would not shut up ...so being a foot taller than him, I turned around very slowly, looked down at him and stared, not saying nothing. And then I stepped about 2 inches closer to him. He finally shut up.

I go to a coffee/donut place with long lineups in a small environment and see younger people being very rude and butting ahead all of the time. I've had a quite a few tussles in that place :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Do you give them "the eye"?

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 06:35 PM
What infuriates me are the young punks who stand there chatting in front of me in line, ignoring the clerk. Then when it's time to pay they start or receive a call on their phones and make everyone wait.

I raised my voice quite loudly one day and said - Hey, cut your important call short, I want to get my coffee before the sun goes down today! :x

the clerk behind the till smiled so broadly, I knew I was in the right :lol:

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 06:38 PM
In the donut place line up, some young kids started taking my stuff off of the counter as the clerk was getting it ready for me.

They were small, about 4 or 5...so I kindly said - Hey, stop taking my stuff!!! ...with a big smile. The kids ran over to their mother and literally tried to hide under her, and the mom shot me a look that would have turned average mortals to stone :lol:...like I did something wrong to her thieving little angels...

Hugh_Janus
08-20-2012, 06:50 PM
I used to be a bit stupid aand over the top, but I've mellowed out like fuck now, and realised being beaten up isn't fun anymore :lol:

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
:lol:

I wish I could show you the layout of this coffee place/gas bar. Two tills and counters about 15 inches from each other within this little store. The line ups get pretty brutal at times, winding around the shelves in the store.

If I've been there for over 5 minutes in line and some mook butts in front of me...he hears about it :lol: It's not like I'm standing there patiently because I DON'T WANT TO buy something...

minz
08-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm only confontational with people I know, I'm a mouse when it's strangers. :(

DemonGeminiX
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I was in line at the pharmacy once. The line was long and we were all waiting there for at least 45 minutes when some fat ugly bitch tried to cut in front of everyone. I was already having a bad day, so I said "fuck it" and completely unleashed on the ignorant cow. I started spewing some of the most vile things that I could think of, yelling at her to get in the back of the line. She turned to try to throw shit back in my face and this huge black dude in front of me started yelling at her too. Then like a domino effect, everybody else in line started yelling at her as well. She left. The pharmacist and checkout ladies behind the counter were just standing there wide-eyed and slack-jawed.

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM

I never get like that...but the sarcasm is heavy.....*loud voice* OH! I guess I've been standing here all this time so OTHERS can walk RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

When I'm right, I have no shame

Muddy
08-20-2012, 08:08 PM
I scream cry..

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm gonna say it here and it's pretty much an accepted point of view in our city...

the immigrants are the biggest offenders and when you do say something they give this butthurt look like you just stole a kidney...

Muddy
08-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I try and let things slide until I feel threatened. When that happens, watch out! :)

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm usually pretty good natured too but when you're standing there for a few minutes, stuff in your hand and someone walks in front of you, so close they're almost stepping on your toes...

it's disrespectful in the least..

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm gonna say it here and it's pretty much an accepted point of view in our city...

the immigrants are the biggest offenders and when you do say something they give this butthurt look like you just stole a kidney...

:racist:

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Didn't I ever tell you the old story about me at Roger's Video? It was at the time they put the DVD copies behind the box covers.

I'm standing about 20 inches from the wall reading a box cover and I notice this tiny hand snake around my waist and nab the DVD, from behind me!!!

I turn around and an Asian dude is going to the till :lol: I said something...really loud, but he still got the DVD :|

Teh One Who Knocks
08-20-2012, 09:26 PM
All the Mexicans that refuse to learn English, live 150 to an apartment, and cause 90% of the crime in Denver are the sweetest and most respected members of the community here [-(

FBD
08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
It really depends on the situation, all about being aware of where you are and what you're doing. Not gonna "stand up and start shit" when I'm in a strange town and I know 20 of the people there are friends with one another and its just me and two of my buddies being relative outsiders :lol: I honestly dont remember the last time someone's screwed with me in a line or something though...usually around these parts its just morons on the road driving like its highway India that they happen to fully and completely own. Last time I had some idiot try and cut me off (after watching him cut half a dozen people off behind in the rv mirror) I just kept going and watched him roll across my bumper and fly backwards into the median grass :lol: People only have balls when there is sufficient anonymity or they have a whole shitload of their friends to prevent them from getting their ass beat.

Hal-9000
08-20-2012, 09:41 PM
It's mostly brown people here that are rude (brown can encompass 20 nationalities). Even if you're polite and point out their behavior, you suddenly become the bad guy.

I'm talking lineups now and purchasing stuff..

DemonGeminiX
08-21-2012, 12:49 AM
The rudest people I've encountered down here are the white trailer trash. The bitch in my pharmacy story fit that description. I have yet to witness a black, Hispanic, or Asian causing any problems... but then again, with all the trigger happy people around here, the non-white people probably figure that they'll get shot if they do cause problems.

Southern Belle
08-21-2012, 12:59 AM
I can be really confrontational in some situations. How much depends on my interpretation of the person's attitude.
Having said that, if I'm in line at the grocery store with a buggy full of food and somebody walks up behind me with one or two things, I usually offer to let them go ahead of me. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.
I try hard not to be a bitch, but sometimes I can't help it.

zagnut
08-21-2012, 05:03 PM
The rudest people I've encountered down here are the white trailer trash. The bitch in my pharmacy story fit that description. I have yet to witness a black, Hispanic, or Asian causing any problems... but then again, with all the trigger happy people around here, the non-white people probably figure that they'll get shot if they do cause problems.

So very true! Everyone around here complains about the black and hispanic people, but for the most part they are ok, but these fuckin rednecks are out of control.

Muddy
08-21-2012, 05:10 PM
So very true! Everyone around here complains about the black and hispanic people, but for the most part they are ok, but these fuckin rednecks are out of control.

Virginia's the opposite.

Yt Trash
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
About 15 years ago, I was waiting in line for a roller-coaster at Great Adventure in New Jersey. Me and my girl at the time, were watching these two punks move their way through the line. I noticed not one person said anything to them, when they go to me I didn't let them past me. I just stood my ground and wouldn't let them in. As the line slowly progressed towards the ride, more of their friends started showing up. Not one person behind or ahead of me had the balls to stand up to these punks, before I knew it, there was about 8-10 of them some bigger, some smaller than me. They were all taunting and threatening me and my girl. At this point I got a little anxious, had it been just the two original punks, they wouldn't stand a chance with me. Unfortunately I was outnumbered. I saved face and a gang beating by apologizing to the original two punks and went about the rest of the day looking over my shoulder throughout the park.

The thing that bugged me, nobody else would back me up or stand up to the punks. So much for safety in numbers.

Hal-9000
08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm telling you people.....up here if you're in let's say 3 lineups during the day for various places...someone will either walk right in front of you like you're invisible or they will pull out a cell phone and talk or text if they're in front of you....

*maybe I am invisible?

Noilly Pratt
08-22-2012, 01:07 AM
As a general rule I will always confront someone when I feel that they have been rude or attempted to physically harm me but this tends to get me into trouble. I've had security called on me for arguing with queue-jumpers & I've also been outnumbered in a 'fight' following confrontations with other young guys who think it's funny to push into me.

To steal from Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse upon being a bouncer...and this describes me in dealings with the public at large..."I'm nice until it's time not to be nice".

>You're waiting in the queue at a shop and someone cuts in front of you.

I'd say "hey, I was ahead of you, you know" and take it from there. They give me lip, I give them lip back...

>A young man bumps into you on purpose when he's with a group of friends.

A good hard look first, then cross my arms - lets them know subliminally you're pissed off. Plus, if they bump you again it's tougher. If the punk comments, you take it from there. I have the benefit of being 6'2", a deep voice and built like a rugby player naturally, so I don't usually have this happen to me.

It does concern me when I get, say 20 years older and I think I'm the same guy I am now, and some punk can outstrength me then...

Hal-9000
08-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I love it when punks puff up on me :lol:

I make 3 quick hand motions in and around their head, making sure he can feel the air move and then say - dude...there was a mosquito :)

testosterone-9000

Noilly Pratt
08-22-2012, 01:12 AM
Here's the whole quote from RoadHouse...says a lot about confrontation I think:

Dalton: Don't worry about it; all you have to do is follow 3 simple rules: One, never underestimate your opponent..expect the unexpected; Two, take it outside, never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary; and Three...be nice.
Hank: [Incredulously] Come on!!
Dalton: If somebody gets in your face and calls you a cocksucker I want you to be nice
Hank: [With resignation] Ok
Dalton: Ask him to walk, be nice, if he won't walk, walk him, but be nice, If you can't walk him, one of the others will help you and you will both be nice...I want you to remember, that it's the job, it's nothing personal.
Steve: Being called a cocksucker isn't personal?
Dalton: No, it's two nouns combined to elicit a prescribed response
Steve: What if somebody calls my Mama a whore?
Dalton: Is she?
[everybody snickers]
Dalton: I want you to be nice.. until it's time..to not be nice
Bouncer: So, uh, how are we supposed to know when that is?
Dalton: You won't..I'll let you know...You are the bouncers I am the Cooler; All you have to do is watch my back and each others....and take out the trash!

Hal-9000
08-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Love that line :lol:

Steve: What if somebody calls my Mama a whore?
Dalton: Is she?