PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong to be stripped of seven Tour de France titles and banned for life

Goofy
08-24-2012, 06:05 AM
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/4233/lancearmstrong2315356b.jpg (http://img818.imageshack.us/i/lancearmstrong2315356b.jpg/)

Armstrong’s attorneys sent a letter to USADA today saying he won’t fight drug allegations by the agency that the cyclist called part of an “unconstitutional witch hunt.”

“We will have an official release tomorrow, but he will be banned for life and loss of results since Aug 1, 1998,” Annie Skinner, a USADA spokeswoman, said in an email.

The cyclist’s attorneys sent a letter to USADA today saying they wouldn’t seek arbitration in the case. His decision comes three days after a federal judge in Armstrong’s hometown of Austin, Texas, rejected the cyclist’s request to block USADA from proceeding with its case.

“If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA’s process I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and — once and for all — put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance,” Armstrong said in a letter. “But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair.”

Armstrong, 40, won the Tour de France every year from 1999 to 2005, a record for the sport’s most prestigious race. He survived testicular cancer early in his career, and created Livestrong, a charity that has raised more than $470 million for the fight against cancer, according to its website.

USADA, the anti-doping organisation for US Olympic sports, notified Armstrong in June that he, three doctors and two officials from the cyclist’s former U.S. Postal Service racing team were accused of using and trafficking prohibited drugs, according to court filings. The Colorado Springs, Colorado-based agency said Armstrong could have an independent panel of arbitrators decide the matter.

Armstrong has said for years that he has never failed a drug test and has repeatedly denied using banned substances.

Travis Tygart, USADA’s chief executive officer, said in a statement released by the agency that “it is a sad day for all of us who love sport and our athletic heroes.”

“This is a heartbreaking example of how the win-at-all- costs culture of sport, if left unchecked, will overtake fair, safe and honest competition,” Tygart said.

US District Judge Sam Sparks threw out Armstrong’s lawsuit Aug. 20, saying he had to arbitrate the group’s allegations under the terms of his cycling contracts. Armstrong claimed USADA had no authority over him and that its proceedings were rigged. The cyclist faced a deadline of midnight today to respond to the allegations.

Sparks, while rejecting Armstrong’s claims, said there were “troubling aspects” in the lawsuit against the agency, including the appearance of conflicts of interest on the part of USADA and an international cycling federation that has backed Armstrong’s position, as well as cyclist’s claims that the USADA’s procedures violate his right to see and question the evidence against him before an arbitration hearing.

Floyd Landis, Armstrong’s former team-mate who was stripped of the 2006 Tour de France title because of doping, sent cycling authorities emails in 2010 accusing Armstrong and U.S. Postal team officials of breaking doping rules.

Tyler Hamilton, another team-mate, alleged Armstrong used a blood-boosting drug while winning his first Tour de France title in 1999. Hamilton tested positive for blood doping at the 2004 Athens Olympics and was suspended twice for using performance- enhancing drugs. The International Olympic Committee stripped Hamilton of his gold medal in the individual time trial from the Athens Games on Aug 10.

Armstrong’s attorneys said Landis and Hamilton weren’t believable as witnesses against their client.

“The ethical implications for an inquisition based on hearsay from witnesses to whom USADA has promised leniency are questionable at best,” attorneys Robert Luskin and Timothy Herman of Austin-based Howry, Breen & Herman LLP said in today’s letter to USADA.

Armstrong said he would no longer address the case, regardless of the circumstances.

“I know who won those seven tours, my team-mates know who won those seven tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven tours,” Armstrong said. “Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart.”

redred
08-24-2012, 10:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/t4uwz.png

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Not sure how they can do this since he never failed a drug test and they haven't presented him with the evidence

redred
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
don't they have 10 of his former team mates ready to say he did

some mates they are:roll:

Goofy
08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Not sure how they can do this since he never failed a drug test and they haven't presented him with the evidence

Manny Pacquiao rings a bell ;)

Personally i think it's a disgrace if they do ban him and strip him of all 7 Tour titles, he's never once failed a test ffs. Whether he did dope or not has fuck all to do with it, he never got caught!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
By Les Carpenter - Yahoo! Sports

In the end, Lance Armstrong quit. And no matter how fiercely he writes his statements or fires rockets on Twitter or demands we continue to buy into the fantasy that in a world of doping cyclists he alone was clean and rode faster and stronger, he still quit on Thursday night.

By quitting, he let the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency say he was guilty, say his seven Tour de France championships were as fake as everything else in a dirty sport. Because if he was innocent, if there was some means to battle the organization with no legal power the way he had the U.S. Department of Justice, he would not be letting USADA try to yank the yellow jerseys from his closet.

No way if there’s even a hint of hope does Lance Armstrong let this happen to his name. He was always too proud, too defiant, too stubborn to give up. He beat cancer. He beat the federal government. He beat everything that came his way. He didn’t relent.

If there was a fight to still fight, he would have fought it.

Now we're burned by another fraud masquerading as a hero.

In a matter of months we have learned that college football’s winningest coach enabled a pedophile, the MVP of baseball's All-Star Game used testosterone and cycling's biggest star chose to no longer hold back the mountain of doping allegations against him. It's a sad few weeks when Joe Paterno's statue goes into storage and Melky Cabrera disappears from the pennant race and Lance Armstrong says "no mas." Suddenly, nothing seems sacred anymore.

Each brought hope and joy to a lot of people's worlds. Paterno inspired generations of football players to be better men. Cabrera gave San Francisco four wonderful months of baseball, and Armstrong made millions believe they could do anything.

Even the popular cycling analyst and blogger, Neil Browne, who once lost a job because he ran afoul of Armstrong, remembers his father dying a horrible death from cancer, proclaiming: "If Lance could beat this so can I."

"My father was a cyclist, he knew Lance was doping, he knew the drill but he didn't care," Browne said late Thursday. "Lance beat cancer."

It's impossible not to look at the sea of yellow bands and the sick who have climbed from deathbeds, and say Lance Armstrong hasn't made the world a better place for many.

But at the same time he sold a fairy tale. And he demanded we believe it. He fed it to us repeatedly while throwing everything he could find in the way of a darker truth that kept closing in. He could have continued to fight past Thursday. He could have gone through a hearing, and his accusers would have lined up before him. It's hard to believe the man who played everything to the end wouldn't take this chance, too. If he knocked away the federal government, why couldn't he have found a way to win again?

Yet what if something more sinister loomed? What if the men USADA says it had ready to testify against him had worse things to say than they saw Armstrong doping? What does that say about a legacy? Ultimately, we won’t know because they will never speak. But the problem with believing in Armstrong going forward is that his giving up on Thursday leaves the question: How tarnishing is what's left unsaid?

The irony is that Armstrong could have remained a hero. He could have been a saint, as well as a beacon of light to millions who never would have thought he had cheated throughout his career. All he had to do was stay retired.

But hubris got the best of him. It's the fatal flaw of driven men everywhere. He had to come back. He had to try France another time. And in doing so he reset the clock on the statute of limitations. He gave the federal government an opportunity to look through his life. If the government hadn't looked at Armstrong over the last two years it's hard to imagine USADA gathering the evidence to do what it is doing now.

He would have remained untainted. He would have remained a seven-time winner of the Tour de France.

Instead, he sent out a flimsy statement explaining why the man who never quit was suddenly quitting. "I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair," he wrote.

Somehow, that always seemed where Armstrong was best: when all looked bleak and nobody believed in him. By quitting, he sent a new message. One we’ve heard too many times in sports.

Sometimes a story is too good to be true.

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
From what I've read about all of this, the USADA battle had been draining him financially. I also heard that the people testifying against him are guilty of doping themselves and only rolled over on him to get a lighter sentence. It all sounded like a witch hunt to me.

He quit fighting because sometimes you just can't keep fighting. It just goes on and on and it all becomes a ridiculous farce.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2012, 05:23 PM
However, like the opinion piece above your post mentions, people will assume he gave up because he is guilty, no other reason.

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
:-s

I won't.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
You're not people :hand:

Acid Trip
08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
The other cyclists are just pissed because a guy with one testicle dominated their entire sport for 7 years.

Hal-9000
08-24-2012, 05:28 PM
it's his choice of words too...I never failed a test....

It is odd that he wouldn't fight the thing that will remove every accomplishment he's achieved in life. As for the lack of money that's total BS....if he has evidence of innocence I'm sure there's a 1000 defense attorneys that would love to step up in this high profile case. I think there's more to this than just a witch hunt.

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2012, 05:31 PM
It's not odd. You get tired. You want it to be done. You can only scream "I didn't do it" so loud for so long when people just refuse to listen.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
It's not odd. You get tired. You want it to be done. You can only scream "I didn't do it" so loud for so long when people just refuse to listen.

:lala:

Hal-9000
08-24-2012, 05:40 PM

it is odd :slap:

he hasn't been on trial for years.....he's been accused only in the past because the other guys are pissed a one balled man beat them.

DemonGeminiX
08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
It's not odd. :slap:

You can't blame the one-balled man... he can only pop so many times during the shoot before his one nut is spent!

Wait... wut?

8-[

Hal-9000
08-24-2012, 07:44 PM
his name is Lance, it's obvious he cheated :hand:

Our own Lance takes posting performance enhancing steroids

Goofy
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I honestly do think he did dope........... 7 wins in a row against other dudes who have admitted juicing up......... c'mon, think about it! If he did that without help then he is the greatest athlete that has ever lived without question........

But, as i said earlier, he never tested positive and that's all that matters surely?

Hal-9000
08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I honestly do think he did dope........... 7 wins in a row against other dudes who have admitted juicing up......... c'mon, think about it! If he did that without help then he is the greatest athlete that has ever lived without question........

But, as i said earlier, he never tested positive and that's all that matters surely?

Bolt was beating guys by a second when he first ran the 100....it could happen but I think Lance took some goodies

Leefro
08-24-2012, 09:28 PM
11 years fighting these rumours then suffering from cancer then beating some dope cheats in his 7th win and pulls out fighting which he has done for most of his life just before it comes to court

Some thing smells and it aint my socks

Hal-9000
08-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I was thinking that he may have been cleared to take some post cancer medication and within that framework he slipped in some other stuff..