PDA

View Full Version : NFL Fantasy

Basser
08-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Ok...local football down here is a month from finishing....the two fantasy footy comps are called supercoach and dreamteam...anyway long story short, a few mates and me are thinking of joining up with an NFL fantasy league for our summer but know nothing whatsoever about the game apart from what we see on ESPN...does anyone know of a site that explains all the scoring system etc for fantasy NFL so some dumb Aussies can pick it up...

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2012, 12:58 AM
I think it depends on who sets up the fantasy league and how they set up the scoring structure within the fantasy league.

As for the game of American football itself, check these out:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/beginnersguidetofootball

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/sports-outdoors/football/Football-Basics.html

Cactus
08-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Most people use a site for there fantasy leagues like yahoo or cbssports. these sites let you step your own scoring system and explains the default settings pretty clearly. You can also set up you own league there. For a beginner, I like the layout of yahoo at little beer than cbs sports.

Basser
08-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Brilliant...many thanks...next time we all in Bum Fuck Egypt Its my shout...

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2012, 01:20 AM
I can tell you roughly:

A touchdown is worth 6 points, but with an attempted extra point kick (commonly referred to as the PAT), it's 7. The extra point is only worth 1 point, and the attempt always comes after the 6 point touchdown. Most of the time, the PAT is a foregone conclusion, but sometimes, kickers have bad days and they miss. In the fantasy league I play, they generally keep the touchdown and PAT separate in scoring. So instead of 7, it'll look more like 6 + 1, where the 6 points goes under offense stats (the guy(s) who scored the touchdown), and the 1 point goes under the kicker stats in fantasy.

A field goal (kicker kicks the ball through the uprights) is 3 points. Goes under kicker stats in fantasy.

A safety (when a defensive player tackles an offensive player in the offensive player's endzone - the end of the field the offense is trying to move away from) is worth 2 points in NFL play. In fantasy leagues, that'll be counted under the defense stats.

Now strictly fantasy points (if this is how your fantasy league is set up):

You'll get points for yardage gained, either passing or rushing. The passing goes under both quarterback (the guy who throws the ball) and receiver/running back/tight ends (the guys who catch the ball). The rushing stats (yardage gained by running the ball) usually goes under the guys who receive the handoff (usually the rusher (fullback/running back), but occasionally receivers are included in rushing plays... quarterbacks can keep the ball and rush it themselves). You can also get points taken away for yardage lost.

Points are lost for fumbles lost. Also for interceptions thrown (when the defense catches the pass the quarterback throws).

You get points for your defense if they recover a fumble or intercept a pass, and they can also score the 6 point touchdown if they take it to score in the other team's endzone. Defenses will lose points for every touchdown they give up to the opposing team's offense. Your defense can also score points for sacking the quarterback (tackling him behind the line of scrimmage).

deebakes
08-25-2012, 02:03 AM
just join our league :idk:

Basser
08-25-2012, 02:11 AM
wow..thats great...crash course is just what i need

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, Basser, will you be able to watch our NFL games?

:-k

Basser
08-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Only what Fox sports show..but having said that they have a pretty good coverage from what i have seen years previous...plus I can look stuff up on this here intahnet