PDA

View Full Version : Astronaut Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on moon, dies at age 82

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, died Saturday, weeks after heart surgery and days after his 82nd birthday.

Armstrong commanded the Apollo 11 spacecraft that landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, and he radioed back to Earth the historic news of "one giant leap for mankind." He spent nearly three hours walking on the moon with fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Armstrong and his wife married, Carol, in 1999 and made their home in the Cincinnati suburb of Indian Hill, but he has largely stayed out of public view in recent years.

He spoke at Ohio State University during a February event honoring fellow astronaut John Glenn and the 50th anniversary of Glenn becoming the first American to orbit the Earth. In May, Armstrong joined Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, at Pensacola Naval Air Station in Florida to support the opening of The National Flight Academy, which aims to teach math and science to kids through an aviation-oriented camp.

:rip:

redred
08-25-2012, 07:25 PM
:rip: the guy did what others can only look up and dream about

Goofy
08-25-2012, 08:00 PM
A true legend :rip:

deebakes
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Is this partly the reason he gave up fighting those illegal doping allegations? :-k

redred
08-25-2012, 08:03 PM
:lol: dee :slap:

RBP
08-25-2012, 08:03 PM
:rip:

Godfather
08-26-2012, 07:22 AM
:( A tremendous hero. RIP :usa:

Hugh_Janus
08-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Is this partly the reason he gave up fighting those illegal doping allegations? :-k

god dammit, dee.... I was going to say something like that :x

Shady
08-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Even the moon was at half mast last night but little did it know that the real reason he died was that Snooki's baby stole his soul.

deebakes
08-26-2012, 01:58 PM
god dammit, dee.... I was going to say something like that :x

the world is also going to miss his jazz trumpet stylings, but at least it will live on in his music :shrug:

Goofy
08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
My Apollogies go to his family..........

:coat:

Richard Cranium
08-26-2012, 03:39 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/25562927.jpg

Hal-9000
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Must have been a weird feeling...first guy to step on a land mass that wasn't Earth..

rip Neil :(

Hugh_Janus
08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
the world is also going to miss his jazz trumpet stylings, but at least it will live on in his music :shrug:
I'm gutted I never got one of his toys when I was a kid

My Apollogies go to his family..........

:coat:

oh dear

Noilly Pratt
08-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Must have been a weird feeling...first guy to step on a land mass that wasn't Earth..

rip Neil :(

I asked Gene Cernan that question when I was lucky enough to find the guys from Apollo 10 (Cernan, Stafford and Young) appearing in Vancouver promoting of all things a new watch at Birks.

He said until Neil actually walked on the moon, and the lunar lander landed and made a touchdown, they really weren't 100% sure if the moon was solid enough to support a person! That was during our 2010 Olympics and I was (and still am) absolutely tripping out that I got to talk with him for a few seconds.

He said that all the astronauts spent more than their allotted time out there walking around...because they were the only human beings who had stepped on ground that was not the Earth.

R.I.P. Neil.

Hal-9000
08-26-2012, 06:42 PM
I asked Gene Cernan that question when I was lucky enough to find the guys from Apollo 10 (Cernan, Stafford and Young) appearing in Vancouver promoting of all things a new watch at Birks.

He said until Neil actually walked on the moon, and the lunar lander landed and made a touchdown, they really weren't 100% sure if the moon was solid enough to support a person! That was during our 2010 Olympics and I was (and still am) absolutely tripping out that I got to talk with him for a few seconds.

He said that all the astronauts spent more than their allotted time out there walking around...because they were the only human beings who had stepped on ground that was not the Earth.

R.I.P. Neil.

Yes I guess they wouldn't have had any tangible data that said what the surface of the moon was really like :lol:

Them dudes had balls for sure ...

Hal-9000
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
manned space flight has come a long way since then...

http://i.imgur.com/uDyUM.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
:rip: Neil, a legend and pioneer

:roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2012, 04:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UM8TA.jpg

Goofy
08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UM8TA.jpg

Nice pic, very fitting :)

Griffin
08-29-2012, 01:00 AM
After telling my wife that Neil Armstrong had died, my grand daughter asked "who is that?"
I told her he was the first man to walk on the moon.
She then asked if a meat eater had got him.
Confused about her question, we inquired about what she meant.
She said, "you know, the rocks flying in space that fall to earth. Did a meat eater (meteor) hit him?" :-k

... I had forgotten we watched the meteor shower a few weeks ago.

We have long ago coined these phrases as "Kadenceisms"

Southern Belle
08-29-2012, 01:55 AM
I watched him on tv the night it happened. Had just gotten home from a date and watched it with my date under the close watch of my Daddy.

Griffin
08-29-2012, 02:02 AM
I watched him on tv the night it happened. Had just gotten home from a date and watched it with my date under the close watch of my Daddy.

My guess is he watching for a Waxing Gibbous. ;)