PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Mauled By 600 Pound Grizzly Bear After Getting 'Too Close' Snapping Photos

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
By Debbie Emery - Radar Reporter

http://i.imgur.com/QhIDd.jpg

A hiker was so determined to get close up photos of a grizzly bear that it cost him his life.

Richard White of San Diego, Calif., had a passion for the great outdoors and a love of hiking alone in remote places, reported the San Diego Union Tribune, which led him on a trip of a lifetime to the remote Denali National Park in Alaska last week.

The 49-year-old scientist was photographing a mammoth 600-pound grizzly on Friday while it grazed and foraged in the tundra, for 8 minutes he went unnoticed snapping 26 photos 40 yards away but when the bear spotted the unnatural presence he quickly went in for the attack.

“The photos show the bear grazing in the willows, not acting aggressive in any form or manner during that period,” explained Denali Park Superintendent Paul Anderson.

White's bloody backpack and clothing were found by hikers, they alerted the park rangers who flew over the area near the Tolkat River in a helicopter and discovered the grisly remains next to the large male grizzly guarding its "food cache." The predator was shot on Saturday and an examination of his stomach contents proved that he had killed the experienced hiker.

In his effort to get the perfect nature photo, White was “certainly too close," to the animal for safety, chief park ranger Pete Webster told the Anchorage Daily News.

"We know for certain the bear we killed is the bear that killed the backpacker," Webster said. "I'm very confident no other bear is involved."

Despite having 30 years of wilderness experience, the director of exploratory pharmacology wasn't carrying a gun or bear spray on his trip, and only had a whistle for protection. He had taken 'Bear Aware' training before his trip, which recommends visitors to stay at least one-quarter mile from bears and to leave an area if they happen upon one, but he is estimated to have been at least 10 times closer.

The die-hard adventurous attitude was typical of Richard, according to his father, Byron White. “He had a real zest for seeing the phenomena in the world and interacting with people all over the globe,” he said. “He also liked hiking alone in these remote places. He enjoyed being out in the wilderness.”

White was the first victim of a fatal bear attack in the park's history, where rangers have "worked very diligently to minimize the conflict between humans and wildlife in the park," explained Anderson. "We have some of the most stringent human-wildlife conflict regulations in the National Park system." An area of about 125 square miles around the kill site has since been closed to the public.

White is survived by his wife, Silke and 21-month-old daughter Mona.

Muddy
08-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Dumbass..

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Don't camera manufacturers make telescoping lenses for close-up purposes?

minz
08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
So the bear loses its life because some dipshit can’t observe safety warnings, seems a bit harsh on the bear given it was in its own territory. :(

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
So the bear loses its life because some dipshit can’t observe safety warnings, seems a bit harsh on the bear given it was in its own territory. :(

:hand:

They're preventing the bearpocalypse. If bear's get a taste for human flesh and blood, we'll all be fucked.

Muddy
08-27-2012, 10:29 PM
They say once a bear eats a human it can become a real menace.. They develop a taste for our sweet flesh...

minz
08-27-2012, 10:41 PM

They're preventing the bearpocalypse. If bear's get a taste for human flesh and blood, we'll all be fucked.

They say once a bear eats a human it can become a real menace.. They develop a taste for our sweet flesh...

what nature intended it to do, it's not the bears fault that some idiot got 10 times closer than he should of! Or maybe I'm just being too much of a hippy about this but I just have such a huge respect to the countryside and it's wildlife. :dunno:

RBP
08-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Hippy! :x

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2012, 10:46 PM
what nature intended it to do, it's not the bears fault that some idiot got 10 times closer than he should of! Or maybe I'm just being too much of a hippy about this but I just have such a huge respect to the countryside and it's wildlife. :dunno:

And nature intended us to be the masters of nature: it gave us a superior intellect and opposable thumbs.

Muddy
08-28-2012, 12:52 AM

I give respect too, but once it has tasted the flesh you can't have the thing roaming around sniffing out innocent humans..

deebakes
08-28-2012, 12:53 AM
:rip: bear :(

RBP
08-28-2012, 12:55 AM
I give respect too, but once it has tasted the flesh you can't have the thing roaming around sniffing out innocent humans..

I feel the same way about my ex-wife. :lol:

deebakes
08-28-2012, 12:56 AM
you have an ex-wife :shock:

RBP
08-28-2012, 12:59 AM
you have an ex-wife :shock:

I was hitched to Satan for 10 years! :|

Satan
08-28-2012, 01:01 AM

You were no picnic either, mister.

[-(

RBP
08-28-2012, 01:07 AM
You were no picnic either, mister.

[-(

:lol:

http://i.imgur.com/3cilI.gif

Satan
08-28-2012, 01:10 AM
:disapproval:

RBP
08-28-2012, 01:13 AM
:disapproval:

Plus you still owe me money, bitch :x

8-[

Satan
08-28-2012, 01:20 AM
[-(

RBP
08-28-2012, 01:27 AM

minz
08-28-2012, 01:35 AM

Only ten years, you got off lightly :meh: I'm obviously a slower learner. :lol:

RBP
08-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Only ten years, you got off lightly :meh: I'm obviously a slower learner. :lol:

:lol: Oh me too for sure. how long for you?

minz
08-28-2012, 01:41 AM
:lol: Oh me too for sure. how long for you?

With him for 17 married for 14 that was enough to put me off for the rest of my life, I wont be repeating that mistake :lol:

RBP
08-28-2012, 01:45 AM
With him for 17 married for 14 that was enough to put me off for the rest of my life, I wont be repeating that mistake :lol:

Amen to that! :agreed:

minz
08-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Amen to that! :agreed:

He was my first proper boyfriend, since then I've been in 3 relationships but can’t seem to get past the 6 year mark :lol: I just don’t do commitment very well :lol:

RBP
08-28-2012, 05:02 AM
He was my first proper boyfriend, since then I've been in 3 relationships but can’t seem to get past the 6 year mark :lol: I just don’t do commitment very well :lol:

I haven't had a serious relationship since the divorce. 6 years now I guess. wow. :-k

FBD
08-30-2012, 12:26 AM
that's just stupid. anyone that knows anything about being up and around up there will tell you you'd best be carrying nothing smaller than a 45 magnum out amongst those bears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTrzavGmIw

Griffin
08-30-2012, 12:32 AM
http://wtfcontent.com/img/130192390710.jpg

Griffin
08-30-2012, 12:32 AM
http://cdn.motinetwork.net/motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1201/no-camping-bears-zombies-humor-demotivational-posters-1325960107.jpg

Muddy
08-30-2012, 01:59 AM
that's just stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTrzavGmIw

That's horrible..lol