PDA

View Full Version : Customer kills gunman during armed robbery attempt at North Jacksonville Dollar General

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM
By Clifford Davis The Florida Times-Union

A 57-year-old father and grandfather stopped off on his way home from work Monday night to fill a grocery list his wife left for him that morning.

But after entering the Dollar General at 1921 Dunn Ave., he was thrust into an armed robbery that ended with him firing his weapon and one of the two robbers lying dead on the floor.

Two gunmen entered the store about 9:20 p.m., both with handguns, said Lt. Rob Schoonover of the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

“One of them had the clerk and one of them was at the front cash register,” Schoonover said.

The manager then alerted the customer to the situation.

“The customer, who had a concealed firearms permit and a firearm, fired at the suspect, striking him apparently two times, killing him,” Schoonover said.

The other robber ran out the front of the store and fled eastbound on Dunn Avenue in a small SUV.

That remaining robber is described as a black male about 6 feet tall wearing tan pants, a blue bandana and gloves, Schoonover said.

Soon after the incident, police allowed the customer to call and reassure his family.

“We just get a phone call saying, ‘I’m OK, but something happened,’” said the man’s son. “It just sucks that we have to work late and have to carry a gun.”

The man knew how to use the gun as well, according to his family.

“He’s always been a marksman,” his wife said. “He shoots in competitions, but this is the first time he’s ever killed anyone and I don’t know how he’ll handle that.”

The store was equipped with video surveillance and the man was being taken in for questioning, but no charges are pending, Schoonover said.

“The citizen did not get shot, none of the employees were hurt, this worked out good tonight,” Schoonover said.

Acid Trip
08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
:mrgreen:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2012, 04:45 PM
:+1:

perrhaps
08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Unless you wanted to be a VIP at a second-rate strip club, there's no reason to rob a Dollar Store.

Muddy
08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
oopsie! :giggle:

perrhaps
08-28-2012, 06:29 PM
oopsie! :giggle:

You fart more than my 9 1/2 year-old rottweiler.

DemonGeminiX
08-28-2012, 10:27 PM
North Jax, around the Highlands. Not really surprised.

RBP
08-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Unless you wanted to be a VIP at a second-rate strip club, there's no reason to rob a Dollar Store.

http://i.imgur.com/NY3de.gif