PDA

View Full Version : Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

Godfather
08-30-2012, 03:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=gHbYJfwFgOU

-- Transcript:
Denial of evolution is unique to the United States. I mean, we're the world's most advanced technological—I mean, you could say Japan—but generally, the United States is where most of the innovations still happens. People still move to the United States. And that's largely because of the intellectual capital we have, the general understanding of science. When you have a portion of the population that doesn't believe in that, it holds everybody back, really.

Evolution is the fundamental idea in all of life science, in all of biology. It's like, it's very much analogous to trying to do geology without believing in tectonic plates. You're just not going to get the right answer. Your whole world is just going to be a mystery instead of an exciting place.

As my old professor, Carl Sagan, said, "When you're in love you want to tell the world." So, once in a while I get people that really—or that claim—they don't believe in evolution. And my response generally is "Well, why not? Really, why not?" Your world just becomes fantastically complicated when you don't believe in evolution. I mean, here are these ancient dinosaur bones or fossils, here is radioactivity, here are distant stars that are just like our star but they're at a different point in their lifecycle. The idea of deep time, of this billions of years, explains so much of the world around us. If you try to ignore that, your world view just becomes crazy, just untenable, itself inconsistent.

And I say to the grownups, if you want to deny evolution and live in your world, in your world that's completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that's fine, but don't make your kids do it because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future. We need people that can—we need engineers that can build stuff, solve problems.

It's just really hard a thing, it's really a hard thing. You know, in another couple of centuries that world view, I'm sure, will be, it just won't exist. There's no evidence for it.

RBP
08-30-2012, 03:58 AM
So all people of faith are all morons? There are people that hold the same position on global warming being man-made. For him to predict what we are are capable of knowing centuries from now is as naive as assuming there is any one right answer.

Godfather
08-30-2012, 04:01 AM
For sure. While I don't believe in creationism either, I was very surprised to see him be so blunt, presumptive and nasty. Certainly not the Bill Nye I remember from elementary school science class :wha:

Loser
08-30-2012, 04:15 AM
So all people of faith are all morons? There are people that hold the same position on global warming being man-made. For him to predict what we are are capable of knowing centuries from now is as naive as assuming there is any one right answer.

I counter with logic from the man himself ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dSyT50Cs8

RBP
08-30-2012, 04:22 AM

I don't know who that is and didn't get the counterpoint, but I understand the position of atheistic science.

Loser
08-30-2012, 05:32 AM
So all people of faith are all morons?

Neil deGrasse Tyson.

And he said.."God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance."..."The day you stop looking because you're content god did it, I don't need you in the lab! You are USELESS on the frontier of understanding the nature of the world."

Pretty much the very definition of moron. Sorry. ;)

-edit-

I'm sorry, I shouldn't say all people of faith are morons, because the fact is they're not, but to blindly believe something without seeking the truth of it, is assinine.

Opinion contained here-in, do not open if easily offended.
Creationists are morons, sorry.

RBP
08-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Neil deGrasse Tyson.

And he said.."God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance."..."The day you stop looking because you're content god did it, I don't need you in the lab! You are USELESS on the frontier of understanding the nature of the world."

Pretty much the very definition of moron. Sorry. ;)

No need to be sorry, I think it's unfortunate that spiritual possibilities, in whatever form, are incompatible with "science." Seems to me that a more inclusive definition of science serves both purposes well.

Southern Belle
08-30-2012, 05:53 AM
If you're easily offended, don't click.

People who don't believe in Creationism are morons

RBP
08-30-2012, 05:56 AM

:P. God bless you Belle. :lol:

Southern Belle
08-30-2012, 06:14 AM
8-)

Loser
08-30-2012, 01:35 PM

:P

At one point in my life I did believe. Then I started asking questions my CCD teachers couldn't, or flat out refused to answer.

Loser
08-30-2012, 01:41 PM
No need to be sorry, I think it's unfortunate that spiritual possibilities, in whatever form, are incompatible with "science." Seems to me that a more inclusive definition of science serves both purposes well.

Yes, but you have to understand the point I'm trying to make. A person can be scientific, logical, and still have faith in god, but only if they still have the will and intelligence to continue in their attempt to understand how things work.

There's no room in science for people that just exclude entire theorems because they believe their god did/created it.

Creationism does exactly that.

Southern Belle
08-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I think there's room for science in creationism. It's not a problem for me.

Acid Trip
08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SPjbd.jpg

Muddy
08-30-2012, 05:53 PM
I respect Bill Nye and Neil Tyson.. I value their opinions because they always (to me) seem to be genuine and based on logic..

Acid Trip
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Anyone who accepts Evolution must accept Creationism. Here is why.

Evolution says that man evolved from lower life forms. Creationism says that man was created by God (or whoever).

Man has evolved so much (via Evolution) that we can "create" new forms of life by manipulating DNA. So if we can create new forms of life (as in it didn't happen naturally through Evolution) then who's to say that man wasn't created that way by God or some other life form?

Make sense?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-30-2012, 07:16 PM
no

Muddy
08-30-2012, 07:24 PM
:lol: I knew you'd love that..

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Anyone who accepts Evolution must accept Creationism. Here is why.

Evolution says that man evolved from lower life forms. Creationism says that man was created by God (or whoever).

Man has evolved so much (via Evolution) that we can "create" new forms of life by manipulating DNA. So if we can create new forms of life (as in it didn't happen naturally through Evolution) then who's to say that man wasn't created that way by God or some other life form?

Make sense?

You're comparing apples and oranges. 'Creating' a new species (or whatever) by scientists in a lab is using straight science. Believing that man was created by a mystical higher power with no proof whatsoever is strictly faith.

Using your logic, those scientists in the lab are gods.

Muddy
08-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I was put off by the word "must".. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-30-2012, 07:29 PM
:lol: I knew you'd love that..

:lol:

Acid Trip
08-30-2012, 08:56 PM
You're comparing apples and oranges. 'Creating' a new species (or whatever) by scientists in a lab is using straight science. Believing that man was created by a mystical higher power with no proof whatsoever is strictly faith.

So because they are using Science to create something it's not creation? It's just science?

Creation - Noun
1. the act of producing or causing to exist; the act of creating; engendering.
2. the fact of being created.
3. something that is or has been created.
4. the Creation, the original bringing into existence of the universe by God.
5. the world; universe.

Creation and science are butt buddies. Science creates things everyday but yet scientists don't believe that some other species or being (like God) could have created us (or anything else for that matter).

On one hand they are creating things but on the other they say creation by other beings is impossible. There is no logic to that.

Muddy
08-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Anything is possible.. But not highly likely.. You'll never hear me say "there is no god"... I can't definitively say one way or another..

FBD
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
coulda sworn I posted something already..

consider the underlying structure that makes 'straight science' even possible - imho, there are no mathematical abstractions, every bit of it has a purpose and context, the vast majority of which is unknown to us. wtf created that??? how fanfuckintasically complex and beyond comprehension is such a concept? and that's why they say the human mind cannot fathom god :mrgreen: all science has really done is put up on display how amazingly complex the chunk of what we understand (somewhat, remember all of our equations are approximations of varying depth) is.

and btw, for Bill Nye to have the ignorance to subscribe to global warming and still be sticking with it last I heard...man, that just says moron shill to me, because he feels so smug so as to done the right thing and publicly further 'the cause.' which makes you a cheerleader and a fool, not a scientist.

Leefro
08-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Lets backtrack a little

But who gives a shit

DemonGeminiX
08-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Lets backtrack a little

But who gives a shit

http://i.imgur.com/2XYUG.gif

Morgan Freeman doesn't.

Leefro
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Well that makes 2 :tup:

Loser
08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Lets backtrack a little

But who gives a shit

Ever see the movie Idiocracy?

That's the future of america, you should care. :lol:

Richard Cranium
09-01-2012, 12:05 AM

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_Binoculats_Idiocracy.jpg

Loser
09-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Awesome find :lol:

Leefro
09-01-2012, 05:10 PM

No that is America NOW!!! :nana:

Godfather
09-05-2012, 03:03 PM

:lol: Love it

http://i.imgur.com/dzF5W.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
09-05-2012, 03:49 PM
:lol: