PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 martial arts for self-defense, plus an extra suggestion

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Just a list:

http://listverse.com/2010/05/15/top-10-martial-arts-for-self-defense/

Y'all can discuss it if you want.

redred
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
the bonus one works :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
P.S.

I would so learn Krav Maga in a heartbeat.

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2012, 10:32 AM

I think Lance will get a kick out of that one, especially the Chuck Norris quote.

:lol:

redred
09-06-2012, 10:38 AM
P.S.

I would so learn Krav Maga in a heartbeat.

start now and you'd be ready to kick santa's ass when he drops down the chimney at christmas :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM

I think Lance will get a kick out of that one, especially the Chuck Norris quote.

:banana:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fwjwg.jpg

Muddy
09-06-2012, 01:53 PM
I bet that Israeli shit is bad to the bone...

Hal-9000
09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
believe it or don't I was taught some Wing Chun, which turned into Jeet Kune Do and the article has it right.....you don't do a classic block/then return routine, you do it simultaneously. (the art of the intercepting fist..)

I did use it one night in a pub by my house....big gronk got nasty and in my face and as he was swinging, I stepped into him and used an elbow block. Imagine grabbing your right wrist with your left hand and swinging full force with your right elbow, up and out quickly.

Anyways...I lucked out and connected very solidly with his chin and he went down complaining of a 'broben nobes' :lol: He was about 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier and if he hit me with one of those meathooks I probably would have been spitting out teeth.

and yes I want to learn the Krav Maga moves too....it's another bastardization of multiple disciplines....just like Master Bruce put together

PorkChopSandwiches
09-06-2012, 05:41 PM
http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/aikido_the_art_of_peace-tm.jpg?w=269&h=350

Hal-9000
09-06-2012, 05:48 PM
If you're ever really stuck and some bastard is coming at you, just kick straight out and down at the knee...you don't have to turn your hips or raise your leg more than 2 feet up..

most people watch for punches and even if you do it wrong, you'll delay the attacker. Do it right and he'll be bent over or on the ground wincing in pain................

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2012, 05:50 PM
If you're ever really stuck and some bastard is coming at you, just kick straight out and down at the knee...you don't have to turn your hips or raise your leg more than 2 feet up..

most people watch for punches and even if you do it wrong, you'll delay the attacker. Do it right and he'll be bent over or on the ground wincing in pain................

Or:

Chuck Norris is well known as a pro-gun advocate, and in response to a reporter’s ironic question, “If someone broke into your house, would you use your roundhouse kick?” he replied, “No, I’d use my 10 gauge.”

Hugh_Janus
09-06-2012, 06:10 PM

this, or punch the fucker in the throat

Hal-9000
09-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Or:

Chuck Norris is well known as a pro-gun advocate, and in response to a reporter’s ironic question, “If someone broke into your house, would you use your roundhouse kick?” he replied, “No, I’d use my 10 gauge.”

I didn't see the last entry on this list until I went back to read about Keysi....that was pretty funny :lol:

Hal-9000
09-06-2012, 07:26 PM
this, or punch the fucker in the throat

I had a nasty drunk fight (I was all over the place) and was intending to punch a guy across the bridge of the nose....I ended up smacking his throat and you're right :lol:

guy was like - wtf wtf??? you hit my windpipe!......like I crossed some horrible line in a parking lot fight :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Or:

Hahahahaha...

I nearly spit out what I was drinking when I first read that quote.

FBD
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
believe it or don't I was taught some Wing Chun, which turned into Jeet Kune Do

WC is very simple, straightforward, and is probably the best street fighting art there is. have bridge, cross bridge, no bridge, attack! bruce was never taught all of wing chun, and being a movie man he basically bastardized 'em all int a free flowing whatever works, but based largely on wing chun, boxing, fencing...and whoever got the idea that grappling and joint locks are specific to things like JJ and aikido? preposterous asserting that jkd made him "fast enough" vs wjm, as if it were a style thing.

gotta chuckle at all these descriptions though. any art can be applied to deadly precision. what no tai chi here? ;)

Hugh_Janus
09-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I had a nasty drunk fight (I was all over the place) and was intending to punch a guy across the bridge of the nose....I ended up smacking his throat and you're right :lol:

guy was like - wtf wtf??? you hit my windpipe!......like I crossed some horrible line in a parking lot fight :lol:

unfortunately, due to my size (~11 stone is the heaviest I've ever been) Ihad to to fight dirty if some 16 stone lump started picking on me.... it wasn't "fair" and I was somehow the bad guy when he's 50% bigger than me:rolleyes: I'm not getting beraten up by some chump trying to look hard in front of his mates.... he's going down ASAP by any means necessary :mrgreen: and btw, it was more a chop than a punch, but I can't say chop cos it sounds gay :lol:

Hal-9000
09-24-2012, 09:19 PM
oh ffs we were jumped outside a bar and I was held down and kicked by guys wearing boots.....I got up...and was royally pissed. So IMO, after shit like that... everything is legal in a fight :lol:

In my experience you gauge how the fight is going....if you can beat a guy and he's down, you stop there. If you feel fear or start getting hit by objects, that changes the attitude of your actions...

FBD
09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
situation always gets assessed first. if shit comes out of nowhere, you werent paying attention :D fighting is fighting. what's the difference between a punch and a slap? you can break bones with a good slap if you know how to whip it good.

RBP
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
whip it good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw

DemonGeminiX
09-24-2012, 09:35 PM
WC is very simple, straightforward, and is probably the best street fighting art there is. have bridge, cross bridge, no bridge, attack! bruce was never taught all of wing chun, and being a movie man he basically bastardized 'em all int a free flowing whatever works, but based largely on wing chun, boxing, fencing...and whoever got the idea that grappling and joint locks are specific to things like JJ and aikido? preposterous asserting that jkd made him "fast enough" vs wjm, as if it were a style thing.

gotta chuckle at all these descriptions though. any art can be applied to deadly precision. what no tai chi here? ;)

Tai chi is aerobics for old people. That's what my Chinese friends told me back in college.

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 01:07 AM

I was taught off and on for 3 years in both a class and at the guy's house. I learned way more with just a heavy bag and him, versus a class environment. He'd always say - This is the proper form...and this is how it applies (meaning he'd alter something in the form) This was about 15 years ago (when I was in shape) and I still remember the warmups in class being worse than the repetitive form movements and the sparring :lol:

He was a lot like Bruce....economy of movement was everything. He hated Taekwondo and some aspects of karate and had noooo problem demonstrating why they sucked when someone brought it up :lol:

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Tai chi is aerobics for old people. That's what my Chinese friends told me back in college.

To me it's just a form of stretching and breathing....beginner yoga, Asian flava :mrgreen:

Muddy
09-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Didn't you take like 3 weeks of tiger claw karate' Hal?

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Nope, my bro in law showed me some of his moves....but only in a gym out on the island where they live.

He be a black belt in Tiger Claw...no fooling around. Watched him do the board breaking thing in a tournament and I broke one 1/2 inch plywood board at his place :mrgreen: (with my hand)

RBP
09-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Nope, my bro in law showed me some of his moves....but only in a gym out on the island where they live.

He be a black belt in Tiger Claw...no fooling around. Watched him do the board breaking thing in a tournament and I broke one 1/2 inch plywood board at his place :mrgreen: (with my hand)

:hand: I once cut plywood with a saw.

Muddy
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM
I once cut some farts with my ass...

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 01:20 AM
I've won more fights than I've lost...showed an aptitude I guess according to others :oops:

meh, you have to apply yourself to get good. Go 2 or 3 nights a week for a few years at least....you can't wuss out like I did

Godfather
09-25-2012, 02:35 AM
I'd like to learn Kung Fu, seems the more honorable and bad-ass :mrgreen:

Also, quoting Neo and then beating the piss out of someone would be a dream come true

FBD
09-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Tai chi is aerobics for old people. That's what my Chinese friends told me back in college.:lol: says people who have no clue! while a lot of it has devolved into that due to the longevity benefits, any real taiji person will tell you it is as deadly as you want to make it and any real taiji teacher will never separate the longevity stuff from the martial application, because the martial application ensures the correct posture and hence most longevity benefit - I've seen some amazingly fast taiji players - dont be fooled that since it is an internal martial art it doesnt mean its super effective - especially if the practitioner learns all 3 of the main chinese martial arts - taiji flows, bagua circles, xingyi (shing-ee) is straight-line. So for example if you've seen Jet Li's "The One" his main character is a bagua guy and the adversary is a xingyi guy. I think one of Jet Li's older movies is called tai chi master or something like that - its a good film, there you can actually see some martial applications of taiji.

I was taught off and on for 3 years in both a class and at the guy's house. I learned way more with just a heavy bag and him, versus a class environment. He'd always say - This is the proper form...and this is how it applies (meaning he'd alter something in the form) This was about 15 years ago (when I was in shape) and I still remember the warmups in class being worse than the repetitive form movements and the sparring :lol:

He was a lot like Bruce....economy of movement was everything. He hated Taekwondo and some aspects of karate and had noooo problem demonstrating why they sucked when someone brought it up :lol::thumbsup: real world applications ftw

I'd like to learn Kung Fu, seems the more honorable and bad-ass :mrgreen:

Also, quoting Neo and then beating the piss out of someone would be a dream come truegood intention, but kung fu is a generic term, bastardized from "gongfu" which literally means energy-time - so if you ask some random old chinese person what gongfu they practice, they could respond by saying "tending my garden." ;) I'm not even sure what people mean exactly when they say "kung fu" :lol: like the 12 animal sports? (which I think is white crane)

Acid Trip
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Gun first followed by Jiu-Jitsu. The biggest thing in a street fight is being in control and that is what Jiu-Jitsu is all about. I have a wrestling background and Jiu-Jitsu is all the shit they never let us do. An ankle pick gets opponent on the ground and then it's all over because that's my world.

I didn't pick Krav Maga because it's the art of inflicting as much pain as possible in the shortest amount of time. I'm trying to stop someone, not kill them.

Muddy
09-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I didn't pick Krav Maga because it's the art of inflicting as much pain as possible in the shortest amount of time. I'm trying to stop someone, not kill them.

I was contemplating it's effectiveness in relation to avoiding law suits as well.

FBD
09-25-2012, 03:42 PM
that's why you always need to be the defender, not the attacker - you get attacked, hey, I'm just defending myself and needed to neutralize the threat. and its not mindless 'revert to training' and fuck shit up needlessly, its take a rational assessment of the situation and determine the appropriate level of violence in response. almost always, the appropriate level is none. big difference in response to a drunk guy swinging at you at a public event and 3 hooded fkers jumping out from an alleyway as you walk by.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2012, 04:42 PM
:lol: says people who have no clue! while a lot of it has devolved into that due to the longevity benefits, any real taiji person will tell you it is as deadly as you want to make it and any real taiji teacher will never separate the longevity stuff from the martial application, because the martial application ensures the correct posture and hence most longevity benefit - I've seen some amazingly fast taiji players - dont be fooled that since it is an internal martial art it doesnt mean its super effective - especially if the practitioner learns all 3 of the main chinese martial arts - taiji flows, bagua circles, xingyi (shing-ee) is straight-line. So for example if you've seen Jet Li's "The One" his main character is a bagua guy and the adversary is a xingyi guy. I think one of Jet Li's older movies is called tai chi master or something like that - its a good film, there you can actually see some martial applications of taiji.

:hand:

No offense, but I think Chinese people know more about the martial arts that come from their regions than you do. I'm taking their word over yours.

Aerobics for old people, dude.

Acid Trip
09-25-2012, 04:57 PM

No offense, but I think Chinese people know more about the martial arts that come from their regions than you do. I'm taking their word over yours.

Aerobics for old people, dude.

No offense, but that's one of the worst arguments I've ever heard.

Just because someone is Chinese doesn't mean they know diddly squat about martial arts. That would be like saying I automatically know more about American football than someone who is from another country. After all, it's AMERICAN football. How could they possibly know more than me when they aren't American?

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Gun first followed by Jiu-Jitsu. The biggest thing in a street fight is being in control and that is what Jiu-Jitsu is all about. I have a wrestling background and Jiu-Jitsu is all the shit they never let us do. An ankle pick gets opponent on the ground and then it's all over because that's my world.

I'm not good at grappling...:oops: unless I'm really angry...

I'll do anything not to end up on the ground. If you took me down, I'd probably just squirm and cry and pee my pants until you let me up

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
that's why you always need to be the defender, not the attacker - you get attacked, hey, I'm just defending myself and needed to neutralize the threat. and its not mindless 'revert to training' and fuck shit up needlessly, its take a rational assessment of the situation and determine the appropriate level of violence in response. almost always, the appropriate level is none. big difference in response to a drunk guy swinging at you at a public event and 3 hooded fkers jumping out from an alleyway as you walk by.

My guy taught me the respect up/respect down thing. Just because a guy is 60 and less than 6 feet tall doesn't make him a pushover in a fight.I learned that the hard way during a New Year's eve fight in the late 80's :lol: Guy was about 5'4'' and we ended up all over a front lawn...me blocking punches with my face primarily throughout most of the fight :lol: Damn I was drunk....have never fallen down so much while fighting someone :oops: He was trained...I was hammered.

Muddy
09-25-2012, 05:46 PM
My guy taught me the respect up/respect down thing. Just because a guy is 60 and less than 6 feet tall doesn't make him a pushover in a fight.I learned that the hard way during a New Year's eve fight in the late 80's :lol: Guy was about 5'4'' and we ended up all over a front lawn...me blocking punches with my face primarily throughout most of the fight :lol: Damn I was drunk....have never fallen down so much while fighting someone :oops: He was trained...I was hammered.

Why do you get into so many fights Mr. Norris?

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Why do you get into so many fights Mr. Norris?

The New Years one was when I lived in Banff.....had drank 12 supercans of beer, went to another place to party with a bottle of rye, walked in to witness a guy closed-fist punch a girl in the face. I knew the girl so my comment was - YOU TOUGH GUY! OUTSIDE NOW!

he was a tough guy :|

next? :lol:

Muddy
09-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I just dont see all the trouble you do.. I never get in fights..

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 06:03 PM
it's a long story dude....most times people tell me I was justified...

lots of fights when I was younger, decided to take some self defense (to calm the fuck down :lol:) not so many fights in the past 20 years of my life.Last fight I had was in the park behind my house that night the drunk dude was smacking his g/f about 4 years ago now...it wasn't much of a fight.

I guess to answer I'll use a real world scenario - Like FBD says you analyze the situation. I'm not out to save the world. But if I saw you and your wife + kids out walking and some guy came up and threw you or a family member to the ground, I couldn't just walk by, even if we've never met....:oops: My conscience is greater than my level of fear, which has gotten me into trouble the odd time.

I grew up with a bunch of single guys who went to bars for years....you think I'm a ruffian? You should have seen a couple of my buddies :lol: I often heard ' He's looking at me!!! ' and then it was on......

Muddy
09-25-2012, 06:05 PM
I try to diffuse the situation with a group hug...

PorkChopSandwiches
09-25-2012, 06:15 PM
I just dont see all the trouble you do.. I never get in fights..

Me either, I'm in large drunken crowds a lot to, somehow I never get into a fight. I have a drunk buddy on the other hand that gets his ass whooped at least once a year. Therefor Hal has a drinking problem :twisted:

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I was with the bro in law walking downtown from the Stampede....one hobo was literally smacking the shit out of another, guy on the ground was done.

I said to bro in law - Hey, lets go prevent that dude from getting killed. His response - Not our fight hal, keep walking.

He's the tiger claw guy and for some reason his reaction has always perplexed me. Homeless guy could have been killed for all we know..

PorkChopSandwiches
09-25-2012, 06:21 PM
I would fuck with a hobo fight either, one dies better for us all.

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Me either, I'm in large drunken crowds a lot to, somehow I never get into a fight. I have a drunk buddy on the other hand that gets his ass whooped at least once a year. Therefor Hal has a drinking problem :twisted:

I was sober when I walked out of a drugstore one afternoon and two young thugs were at my car...they tried to do something (steal my carton of smokes? my wallet??) and I tuned them both up pretty good. Had to sit in a cop car for three hours afterwards and defend my actions ffs :lol: because one of their friends claimed 'I attacked them'.

TBH I was scared......for a moment :shifty:

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
No offense, but that's one of the worst arguments I've ever heard.

Just because someone is Chinese doesn't mean they know diddly squat about martial arts. That would be like saying I automatically know more about American football than someone who is from another country. After all, it's AMERICAN football. How could they possibly know more than me when they aren't American?

No offense, but you need a sense of humor.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2012, 06:42 PM
And you're not Chinese, either.

FBD
09-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Aerobics for old people, dude.:lol: not so much, bro - "the younger generation"'s fooked over there just like over here where you have a shit ton of them that wind up growing up without the values of their predecessors. go dig around, tai chi is a *very* viable and deadly dangerous if you have a serious practitioner that has learned the martial applications alongside the rest of the art. the form just also happens to be a soft chi gung form that can be practiced well into old age - much more than you can say for a lot of other arts where your body is able to take less and less of it as time goes on. half the art is longevity, its not just self defense, it is a very comprehensive art. I used to think as your friends did for the longest time until I met some serious practitioners and was absolutely amazed at how quickly and explosively they were able to move and apply themselves.

Acid Trip
09-25-2012, 07:43 PM
And you're not Chinese, either.

I didn't realize I had to be Chinese to know your justification was garbage. A Chinese person told you something about a Chinese martial art and therefore it must be true.

I'll write that down for next time.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I didn't realize I had to be Chinese to know your justification was garbage. A Chinese person told you something about a Chinese martial art and therefore it must be true.

Lighten up, dude.

Muddy
09-25-2012, 08:10 PM
You fags dont know shit.

FBD
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM

No, just remember that if that sort of response is elicited from you, then you might have to insert your own quasi-sarc tag, even if its just in your head ;) Like if he just said "I like pizza" instead :lol:

Hal-9000
09-25-2012, 09:00 PM
You fags dont know shit.

:x

I've been beaten up by someone who was trained...I know what that feels like :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2012, 11:10 PM
No, just remember that if that sort of response is elicited from you, then you might have to insert your own quasi-sarc tag, even if its just in your head ;) Like if he just said "I like pizza" instead :lol:

Dude, pizza rocks!!!

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2012, 11:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1Fab8.jpg

FBD
09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I wouldnt screw with this old man ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_luDzL03vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNl4T-U3EdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf44kawWBvY

and this is why I like wing chun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3-Hi-kMNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaP1X-lEtgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7xXx2ikDKw
many different methods, good stuff from pretty much all of 'em. :thumbsup:

Muddy
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I wouldnt screw with this old man ;)

I'd choke that ol' mother funker out, and teabag him when I was done...

DemonGeminiX
09-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Master Wong cracks me up. He's got the camera low looking up at him saying shit like, "You no want to be in this position! You get yo face beat in!"

FBD
09-26-2012, 03:00 PM
:lol: hahaha that was good