PDA

View Full Version : Local Company's Billboard Raises Eyebrows

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2012, 11:02 AM
SPY Optic's Billboard In Encinitas Promotes New Line Of Sunglasses
10 News San Diego

http://i.imgur.com/vESIr.jpg

SAN DIEGO -- A questionable billboard in the North County is turning heads and sparking debate over its appropriateness.

"I thought that I read it wrong," said Moonlight Hair Design owner Sarita Mihaly. "I thought that it was a joke."

The billboard is not a joke and is hanging right above Mihaly's beauty salon. It reads, in big block print, "HAPPY TO SIT ON YOUR FACE."

"Oh my God, that's quite a sexual kind of comment to make in big bold letters like that," said Encinitas resident Kathleen Anderson.

The billboard is an advertisement for Carlsbad-based SPY Optic, which specializes in sunglasses, which technically sit on a person's face.

"You know, it seemed fun, seemed like a way to sort of embrace 'let's have a good time with this thing,'" said SPY Optic Marketing Director Devon Howard.

The billboard is the first piece of marketing that advertises SPY's new Happy Lens line, which debuts early next year.

"We didn't expect the response we've gotten. A lot of the response has been pretty good," said Howard.

Howard said the patent-pending Happy Lens technology lets in blue light from the sun, increasing serotonin, making the wearer happier.

"It's going to affect your circadian rhythm," he said.

Howard said the company did not intend to offend anyone. He added some people have already called them out.

"'Hey, if you'd just put the sunglasses up, we would have got what you meant by it.' I think that's fair criticism," said Howard.

It's also an apparently successful ad campaign that drew 10News' attention and has the community talking.

"It does create a lot of conversation in here and that's always a good thing," said Mihaly.

RBP
09-06-2012, 11:04 AM
It worked.