PDA

View Full Version : Schoolgirl kept in 'isolation' after dying hair red

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2012, 11:17 AM
By Brendan Hughes, WalesOnline

http://i.imgur.com/BA5zj.jpg

A furious mum has claimed her teenage daughter was placed in "isolation" by teachers on her first day back at school – after turning up with bright-red hair.

Paula Close’s eldest child, 15-year-old Shannon, dyed her hair a vibrant shade of red during her summer holidays.

But teachers separated GCSE pupil Shannon from her classmates at Bryn Hafren Comprehensive School, Barry, because her red locks were not in line with school uniform policy.

Ms Close, 37, of Barry, said she was shocked with the school’s reaction to her daughter’s hair colour.

“They were asking me to dye it down because it’s too pink,” said the mum-of-three.

“They put my daughter in isolation. They put her in the room on her own and she is to work in that room on her own.

“They said she will stay in isolation until I sort her hair out.”

She added: “It is absolutely ludicrous. They are in the school, so does it really matter? I just think it’s a waste of time and resources putting these kids in rooms on their own when they should be concentrating on the kids who are not in school.”

“Why should the hair colour matter to how they work?”

Ms Close said her daughter spent Wednesday – her first morning back – “in isolation” before she took her out of the school.

She said: “She doesn’t want to go to school now to be honest because she doesn’t want to be put in isolation.

“They don’t seem to understand fashion as well, and peer pressure. They don’t get it, do they?”

Phil Whitcombe, head of Bryn Hafren Comprehensive School, Barry, said Shannon was not on her own when separated from her classmates, but was instead supervised by a teacher.

He said: “What we have is an inclusion room which is supervised. She was in the room with a teacher. Our concern is that she still has her normal work to get on with. I’m sure that would be mum’s concern as well.

Explaining the school’s policy on hair colour, he said: “We have a policy. The mother was issued with a copy of that when the child started at the school. It is quite clear about hair colour. It says hair colour and style must be appropriate for school.”

He added: “This school has just had outstanding examination results at a time when most exam results were slipping. Over 74% of our children got at least five GCSEs. It’s hardly a sign of a school that is getting its priorities wrong.”

Mr Whitcombe said he was expecting Shannon to return to the school on Monday morning with toned-down hair following discussions with her family.

Jezter
09-11-2012, 02:43 PM
This is ridiculous.

Godfather
09-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Agreed, wow. This is why the most wild friends I have are from tightneck schools :lol: "The tighter the leash, the further they run once it snaps"

Jezter
09-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I just don't understand what the hell does one's hair color matter? I have never understood school uniforms either on the other hand...just don't get why people aren't allowed to express themselves and be how they want to be.

KevinD
09-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Not ridiculous to me. The school has standards and rules, clearly written out in the handbook. While I don't agree with all rules in my daughters school, as long as she goes there, she has to abide by them. It's very common here for "unnatural" hair colors to not be permitted on school grounds.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I just highlighted my daughters hair with Magenta :tup:

Hugh_Janus
09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Agreed, wow. This is why the most wild friends I have are from tightneck schools :lol: "The tighter the leash, the further they run once it snaps"

if any of them fancy a bit of rough, give me their numbers :tup:

Muddy
09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I just don't understand what the hell does one's hair color matter? I have never understood school uniforms either on the other hand...just don't get why people aren't allowed to express themselves and be how they want to be.

This is why.. A few bad apples ruin it for everyone..

http://i.imgur.com/0NQ9s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/56Syd.jpg

Hugh_Janus
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I had to wear a uniform in secondary school.... shirt, tie, trousers, shoes and a blazer.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2012, 06:32 PM
My son has to wear a uniform at private school. Not to bad, blue/white/red golf tee and blue/black/tan shorts/pants. I think it may be good to ease distraction.

minz
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
My salon is situated in a large 4* hotel, when my hair was red and black, and Charlie had her hair purple and then pink we would get people complaining to the hotel management, narrow minded idiots, so it's not just the schools. :roll:

Hugh_Janus
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
youi posh fucker :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2012, 06:42 PM
My salon is situated in a large 4* hotel, when my hair was red and black, and Charlie had her hair purple and then pink we would get people complaining to the hotel management, narrow minded idiots, so it's not just the schools. :roll:

Its your salon isnt it, tell them to fuck off :twisted:

minz
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Its your salon isnt it, tell them to fuck off :twisted:

I kind of did, I told the hotel management I had no intentions of changing anything as our hair colour has no impact on our abilities to carry out our posts in a professional manner, I did however challenge them to come up with evidence to the contrary but as yet..... :dunno:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I guess if you had to rent the space from them they could push it, but at the end of the day its your place. Thats bullshit to me.

minz
09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I guess if you had to rent the space from them they could push it, but at the end of the day its your place. Thats bullshit to me.

Although its my place, I do rent the space from them and I guess we are representing the hotel also so I have to maintain their standards (which are f****n high) but on the flip side they are really supportive and helpfull with me so I guess its a small price to pay.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Playing the game ;)

minz
09-11-2012, 07:58 PM
:tup:

Muddy
09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
walking the dog..

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Flogging Molly

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
My view is this: If I was running a private school, then yes, I would institute a dress code with pretty high standards. If I was a student at one of these schools, I would piss all over their rulebook. I'm a hypocrite, sue me.

:dance:

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Flogging Molly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Zs1xfxaq4