PDA

View Full Version : Man in Florida refuses sobriety test, says 'I done seen it on the MythBusters'

Teh One Who Knocks
09-18-2012, 04:57 PM
By Will Greenlee - The Treasure Coast Palm

http://i.imgur.com/FnONs.jpg

A man being questioned in a DUI investigation smelled of booze and told deputies he's "not taking no sobriety test."

"I done seen it on the MythBusters," Dustan Edward Carpenter, 35, is quoted as saying Sept. 12.

A St. Lucie County Sheriff's deputy stopped Carpenter shortly after 11 p.m. after spotting his Ford Focus traveling on Okeechobee Road without the headlights on, a recently released affidavit states.

Carpenter, of Auburndale, initially said he was coming from Applebee's and had one beer. He had slurred, mumbled speech and bloodshot eyes.

Carpenter said he's "not taking no sobriety test, I done seen it on the MythBusters."

MythBusters is a Discovery Channel program that "aims to uncover the truth behind popular myths and legends by mixing scientific method with gleeful curiosity and plain old-fashioned ingenuity to create a signature style of experimentation," its website states.

Myths or legends tested on the show include determining whether eating beans causes excessive flatulence (confirmed) and whether the color red makes bulls angry (busted).

Myths tested involving alcohol include whether drinking will help you feel warmer (busted) and whether drinking will make you think people look more attractive (plausible).

A vigorous perusal of the MythBusters web site turned up no evaluations of sobriety tests used by law enforcement officials.

Meanwhile, Carpenter said he "absolutely" wasn't taking any field sobriety exercises.

A deputy also asked whether he'd take a breath test to determine his blood alcohol content.

"I ain't doing none of that," Carpenter is quoted as saying.

In the parlance of MythBusters, Carpenter was busted -- arrested on a DUI charge.

Hal-9000
09-18-2012, 04:59 PM
You may as well take the test...up here you refuse and get automatically charged for refusal. It's a wee bit incriminating when you do that :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-18-2012, 05:36 PM
If you wont blow they will just take you in and take your blood with or without your consent

Hal-9000
09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
My buddy and I were in a bad car accident when we were 17...he upended a light standard on a suburban street and lodged it under a car. His 72 chev pickup truck was totaled....and that truck was 19 feet of sheet metal.

We were both hammered and last time I saw him that night was when the paramedics were examining him. I heard a cop say - Sir, you're going to have to blow. And he responded with - You guys will have to to blow me first...and then he started to open his jeans :lol:

He got hauled in and didn't get home until the next morning. I was told to walk home from the scene :x