PDA

View Full Version : Is Siberia's Lake Labynkyr really home to a monster?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2012, 10:46 AM
By Alison Godfrey - The Sydney Times

http://i.imgur.com/DRonu.jpg

LOCALS call it the Devil. They say it lifts up boats and wails when it attacks. Now underwater sonar shows they might be telling the truth.

Associate Professor of Biogeography Lyudmila Emeliyanova told The Siberian Times that on her mission to Lake Labynkyr in remote Siberia she recorded 'several seriously big underwater objects' with sonar readings.

So convinced is she that there is something down there that she has called for a new scientific mission to solve the mystery of the monster.

"It was our fourth or fifth day at the lake when our echo sounding device registered a huge object in the water under our boat," Ms Emeliyanova told The Times.

"The object was very dense, of homogeneous structure, surely not a fish nor a shoal of fish, and it was above the bottom. I was very surprised but not scared and not shocked, after all we did not see this animal, we only registered a strange object in the water. But I can clearly say - at the moment, as a scientist, I cannot offer you any explanation of what this object might be."

“I can't say we literally found and touched something unusual there but we did register with our echo sounding device several seriously big underwater objects, bigger than a fish, bigger than even a group of fish.

“This mysterious and very deep lake still has some secret to tell us.”

Lake Labynkyr is located 5000 kilometres east of Moscow. It is 60 kilometres away from town of Oymyakon – the coldest place on earth. But while every other lake in the area becomes an ice-skating rink in winter - this lake does not freeze over. Ever.

It also has no plant life.

The native Evenk and Yakut people have always claimed an underwater creature lurks in their lake. It has become known as “Russia’s Loch Ness Monster”. But talk of this creature actually started before anyone spoke of Nessie in Scotland.

They say fishermen saw some strange waves before their boat suddenly shook. There was no wind, no other boats to cause the waves. Suddenly the bow began to rise as if someone was pushing it from under the water. The fishermen were stuck by fear. They did not see anything. And then just as it rose up, the boat went down.

In 2006 researchers using a Humminbird Piranha MAX 215 Portable fish-finder also claimed to have found something lurking in the lake.

"I switched off the 'Fish ID' and we watched just pure scanning. Soon we registered a shadow some 15-17 meters under our boat, it was about 6.5 meters long. It was pretty clear, it was not a fish and not a tree. There cannot be fish that big, and a log would have been registered in a different way. How can it swim under the water?,” one of the men, who refused to be named, told the Siberian Times.

Author Gennady Borodulin also recounts a tale from Labynkyr in the 1920s in his book In a Trip to the Cold Pole.

“An Evenk family of nomads followed their reindeer and reached the shore of Lake Labynkyr. They decided to stay overnight on the shore. A five year old child went to the bank of a stream which led into the lake while adults were busy. Suddenly the adults heard the boy screaming.

"The father and grandfather rushed to the bank. They stopped on the edge of water and saw the child being carried away by an unknown animal to the centre of the lake. It was a dark creature, with a mouth looking like bird's beak. It held the child and moved away with quick rushes, then it dived leaving huge waves and dragged the child under the water.

"The granddad swore to revenge the 'devil. He took a sack made of animal skin, stuffed it with reindeer fur, rags, dry grass and pine trees needles, put a smouldering piece of wood inside. He attached the sack to a huge stone on shore with a rope and then threw the sack far into the waters of the lake.

"At night there was noise and splashes and terrible screams of the 'devil'. In the morning the waves brought the huge dead animal, about seven meters long with a huge jaw, almost one third size of the body, and relatively small legs and fins.

"The old man cut the animal's stomach, took out the body of his grandson, and buried him on the bank of the stream. Since then this stream is called 'The Stream of a Child'.

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
This is actually a pretty cool story. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2012, 09:19 PM
I think it looks like Bigfoot :-k

Goofy
09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Cool! I want to believe :tinfoil: :D

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I think Hal looks like Bigfoot :-k

:-s

I thought Hal shaves?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Cool! I want to believe :tinfoil: :D

You live closest, go and investigate for us :tup:

:-s

I thought Hal shaves?

:slap:

Arkady Renko
09-20-2012, 09:48 PM
probably just the president going for a secret skinny dip

Hal-9000
09-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I have no problem with believing in huge prehistoric fish that still exist today...what I don't believe is them living in contained environments like lakes...

Muddy
09-20-2012, 11:24 PM
I think it looks like Bigfoot :-k

Me too.. :lol:

deebakes
09-21-2012, 01:37 AM
:hills:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Its probably Elvis

deebakes
09-21-2012, 01:51 AM