PDA

View Full Version : Georgia indoor gun range given liquor license; opening lounge for customers

Pony
09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1PbHE.jpg

A Georgia couple is building a $3.5 million indoor shooting range that will feature a full bar, serving alcohol to its patrons.

So is this the start of a potentially dangerous new business model where intoxicated firearm enthusiasts will literally be shooting from the hip? Well, not exactly.

WSB-TV reports that Lakeside Guns Shop owner Kristina Brown plans to open the multimillion-dollar indoor range with her husband in Powder Springs. And when it comes to being state of the art, the Governor's Gun Club will not only have the best technology available to marksmen, it will also have Maker's Mark.

That's because by a vote of 4-1, the Powder Springs City Council approved an alcohol permit for the establishment.

However, some residents are skeptical, especially with a housing subdivision being built just 100 yards from the new range.

"I mean, that's just stupid," Traci Hart, mother of three, told the station. "We don't need drunk people running around in and out of the neighborhood."

Georgia law does not generally require conceal and carry permits. In most cases, if a resident is legally able to own a firearm, they are allowed to carry it in their home, vehicle and place of business. There are some notable exceptions, including government buildings. In the case of bars and restaurants, gun owners are allowed to conceal and carry firearms if the owner of the establishment permits it.

So is Hart right to worry about patrons ordering a double, then firing off their double-barreled shotgun? Not so fast.

There's a bit of relief for those opposed to the idea and a potential letdown for anyone planning to put a new spin on the shot glass.

Brown sent WSB-TV a statement clarifying that once someone has ordered a drink in the lounge, they will not be permitted to enter the firing range:

"Customers will have to order a drink with their identification card and once the card is accepted, and flagged, they cannot be checked back into the range that day," the statement reads.

Still, Brown and her husband are not naive about their unique sales pitch. The rest of the statement goes on to add, "Georgia Law allows persons with gun permits to bring their weapon into a restaurant that serves alcohol, we are taking it even a step further."

Hal-9000
09-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Ah hell they'll be just like Kev and bring a mickey in there with them....helps settle the crosshairs I hear....yup

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2012, 11:05 PM
West of Macon. Nowhere near me. They can do whatever the hell they want. I'll be perfectly safe.

:tup:

Hal-9000
09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Macon County Line? :-s

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Macon. It's a "city" about 45 minutes to an hour south of Atlanta. I use the word "city" very loosely when referring to the slightly overachieving towns of Georgia.

Hal-9000
09-20-2012, 11:17 PM
you damn backwoods redneck...I knew it

PorkChopSandwiches
09-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Sweet setup

deebakes
09-21-2012, 01:36 AM
awesome :suicide:

KevinD
09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Ah hell they'll be just like Kev and bring a mickey in there with them....helps settle the crosshairs I hear....yup

Why'd you have to go and bring me into it? lol

Hal-9000
09-21-2012, 02:18 PM
guns/rednecks/booze...if that was a google search string, your name (and google map directions to your house) shows up :lol:

Acid Trip
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I'd go there. Fire off some rounds and then have a few drinks with my fellow gun owners.

I should start wearing camo to the range. People always look at me funny cause I go after work while wearing my suit and tie. Then I open my briefcase and they realize I'm one of them :lol:

KevinD
09-21-2012, 02:25 PM
guns/rednecks/booze...if that was a google search string, your name (and google map directions to your house) shows up :lol:

Okay, I'll buy that, lol

But the guns are generally put away when the booze is out...Witness my non participation in the company retreat to the owner's ranch this weekend. lol

KevinD
09-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd go there. Fire off some rounds and then have a few drinks with my fellow gun owners.

I'll should start wearing camo to the range. People always look at me funny cause I go after work while wearing my suit and tie. Then I open my briefcase and they realize I'm one of them :lol:

I actually need to go to the range more often. Last trip was the first time in years, and it showed, lol
I'm planning to buy a 9mm to use for range duty (along with a Colt .22 semi auto pistol I recently was given) to cut down on ammo costs.

Acid Trip
09-21-2012, 02:32 PM
I actually need to go to the range more often. Last trip was the first time in years, and it showed, lol
I'm planning to buy a 9mm to use for range duty (along with a Colt .22 semi auto pistol I recently was given) to cut down on ammo costs.

9mm rounds have been expensive lately. I hadn't bought them in awhile and the price was much higher than I remembered. I'm just glad I don't own a .45, those rounds are through the roof.

KevinD
09-21-2012, 02:38 PM
The 9mm rounds (at least in my area) are roughly half what the .40cal is. I don't own a .45 (most of my friends do) as I'm not comfortable with the recoil of most semi autos in that caliber. I have smallish hands and wrists (for a guy) and am much more comfortable with 9mm and .40 rounds in most guns that I've shot lately.

Richard Cranium
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
If I still had a pistol I would have a 1911 and a .22 conversion kit for it, best of both worlds.

Godfather
09-21-2012, 02:51 PM
If I still had a pistol I would have a 1911 and a .22 conversion kit for it, best of both worlds.

I've drooled over a Sig P226 with the Classic .22 conversion kit for a while. 9mm is just too pricey for many days at the range.

KevinD
09-21-2012, 02:57 PM
These are what I have narrowed my choice down to. Both come with 2 mags, good barrel length, good feel in my hands, full frame all metal, SA/DA , both in the $500-600 range.

CZ75 SP-01:

http://img1.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/495/media/images/CZ_75_SP-01_2.jpg

Arma-lite AR24-15

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/armalite_24-15C.jpg

Acid Trip
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
My buddy has a CZ75 and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! It would not disappoint you at all.

Godfather
09-21-2012, 03:16 PM
I always just unfairly assumed CZ were dumpy knockoffs, like the Norinco of Eastern Europe :-k Might have to check one out

And I would go to this range too... anyone who hasn't loaded a pick-up with guns, beer and buddies to go shooting at the gravel pit in the woods really hasn't lived :P

Hal-9000
09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
they get pissed at me when I haul out my super-soaker 9000 at the range :sad2:

Richard Cranium
09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
they get pissed at me when I haul out my super-soaker 9000 at the driving range :sad2:

Yep..:mrgreen:

KevinD
09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
they get pissed at me when I haul out my super-soaker 9000 at the range :sad2:

That's because you are supposed to keep your pocket pistol inside your pants, lol

KevinD
09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
My buddy has a CZ75 and it is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! It would not disappoint you at all.

That's what I hear from everyone that owns one. Still trying to find a range near here that will rent me one to shoot.

KevinD
09-21-2012, 03:33 PM
I always just unfairly assumed CZ were dumpy knockoffs, like the Norinco of Eastern Europe :-k Might have to check one out

And I would go to this range too... anyone who hasn't loaded a pick-up with guns, beer and buddies to go shooting at the gravel pit in the woods really hasn't lived :P

The CZ75 is a knock off of the Browning Hi-power (iirc) and the Arma-lite AR 24 is their version of the CZ, lol

The slide rails on both are internal, the barrel sits lower than normal so recoil and return to target time is reduced (supposedly, as I've yet to shoot either)
I like the fact that they are both full framed, all steel, heavy guns (I don't concealed carry, so not worried about weight or size) I like that both are SA/DA, with pronounced swells on the tangs, both can be bought with safety or decockers. Until I shoot them, the CZ to me has a bit of an edge as it does have the ability to mount a light or laser. To me, the light is a good idea for a home defense weapon.

Acid Trip
09-21-2012, 03:35 PM
The CZ75 is a knock off of the Browning Hi-power (iirc) and the Arma-lite AR 24 is their version of the CZ, lol

The slide rails on both are internal, the barrel sits lower than normal so recoil and return to target time is reduced (supposedly, as I've yet to shoot either)
I like the fact that they are both full framed, all steel, heavy guns (I don't concealed carry, so not worried about weight or size) I like that both are SA/DA, with pronounced swells on the tangs, both can be bought with safety or decockers. Until I shoot them, the CZ to me has a bit of an edge as it does have the ability to mount a light or laser. To me, the light is a good idea for a home defense weapon.

Yup, those little grooves under the barrel were a smart addition. Makes it a breeze to add any attachments you want.

KevinD
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Another advantage to the CZ: 18rds as opposed to the 15 for the AR 24.
TBH, If I haven't stopped a target with the first couple of rounds, I'm in serious trouble anyway. lol
but less time changing mags is always a plus

Richard Cranium
09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
and the Arma-lite AR 24 is their version of the CZ, lol

I had to look it up, wiki.. Sarsilmaz Kilinc 2000 "It is manufactured at the Sarsilmaz Silah Sanayi factory in Turkey, sold in the U.S. by the ArmaLite corporation under the ArmaLite name as the AR-24."

Personally, I would stick with the CZ instead of the copy of a copy of a CZ from a 3rd world manufacturer.

Hal-9000
09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I made an elastic band shooter that leaves a pretty nasty red welt on the skin..

Richard Cranium
09-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I made an elastic band shooter that leaves a pretty nasty red welt on the skin..

You got a permit for that?

Pony
09-22-2012, 01:29 AM
You'll shoot your eye out.