PDA

View Full Version : Only a few dealers can sell Chrysler's new Viper

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Chris Woodyard - USA Today

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/7461/srtviper13rearxwidecomm.jpg

As Chrysler prepares to launch the new Viper, only about 100 to 150 of more than 2,300 U.S. dealers will be approved to sell it, said Ralph Gilles, CEO of the SRT brand.

Dealers are receiving letters this week that outline how they can qualify to sell the car that will have an 8.4-liter V10 engine with 640 horsepower.

The No. 1 requirement "Is first of all, to have the fire, the passion," Gilles said. "That's the unofficial requirement -- that you have a love affair with the cars and you just love fast cars."

While the car will sell in low volumes, most dealers are eager to get their hands on it.

"It's the image. I want to be able to say I have Viper," said Chuck Eddy, owner of Bob and Chuck Eddy Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram near Youngstown, Ohio.

The base price is $99,390, while the more-refined 2013 SRT Viper GTS starts at $122,390.

Introduced as the Dodge Viper in 1992, it was sold through 2010 when the automaker's financial crisis caused Chrysler to put the brakes on production. The all-new Viper will be sold under Chrysler's SRT, or Street and Racing Technology, brand, overseen by Gilles.

Chrysler will make only about 2,000 Vipers a year.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
My dad one the Viper that was on Vegas vacation on a nickle slot. He kept it for a few years and then sold it on Ebay. It was bad ass

Muddy
09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I thought Dodge owned the Viper and Dodge was separate from Chrysler now..?

Acid Trip
09-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Dealers are receiving letters this week that outline how they can qualify to sell the car that will have an 8.4-liter V10 engine with 640 horsepower.

Weak sauce. An 8.4-liter engine should put out at least 840 horsepower. So many other cars are already at/surpassing the 100 hp per liter ratio.

KevinD
09-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Viper is SRT, which is Dodge afaik. Srt did/does make a Chrysler, as a Jeep. SRT vehicles are only allowed to be sold at select dealers iirc.

Muddy
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Weak sauce. An 8.4-liter engine should put out at least 840 horsepower. So many other cars are already at/surpassing the 100 hp per liter ratio.

Im sure the guys over at 'top gear' are foaming at the mouth to tear this thing apart..

perrhaps
09-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Back in November, 2001,I was walking down Bourbon Street with some friends. As is typical for a Saturday night, the street was packed to the gills, but there was a Viper parked in the middle of the block, and the locals, including several policemen, made sure the foot traffic stayed at least five feet away from it.

I've always wondered how much of a badasss the owner of that car was.

Acid Trip
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Im sure the guys over at 'top gear' are foaming at the mouth to tear this thing apart..

Tear it apart and improve it I'm sure.