PDA

View Full Version : “Finnish” Your Lunch

Jezter
10-03-2012, 05:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1LLR5.jpg
Lunch is served: this week we’re eating creamy salmon soup, crispy rye bread with Finnish cheese and butter, sweet and sour dill cucumbers, and whipped lingonberry porridge

MoMA exhibitions rarely end at the gallery doors. There are publications and websites, symposia, family programs, and special events that extend the life, the interactivity, and the scope of projects big and small. With Century of the Child: Growing by Design, 1900–2000, we’ve joined curatorial forces with MoMA’s Cafe 2 to dig further into the idea of “growing by design”—in the realm of food, nutrition, and, specifically, school lunches.

More than 31 million children in the U.S. participate in the National School Lunch Program, and the subject has been rapidly gaining attention, especially relating to Michelle Obama’s involvement in this year’s new healthy guidelines. The U.S. has a spotty (to say the least) history in this area—painfully so in comparison with countries like Finland, which is consistently recognized for excelling in all areas of public education, lunch included. (That country’s scrupulous care of children begins, literally, at birth, with the so-called Baby Box that—no kidding—doubles as a crib.) According to its National Board of Education, Finland was the first country in the world to serve free, regulated school meals to children on a large scale, starting in 1948. Today, balanced meals of local and inexpensive ingredients provide both energy and educational value.

With the help of the Consulate General of Finland, our Cafe 2 is now hosting a series, this week and next, called Back to School: A Taste of Finland, giving adults a chance to enjoy a meal inspired by the school lunches (koululounas) of Finland. Hesitant about giving school lunch another go? Our lunches are prepared by one of Finland’s most celebrated chefs, Petteri Luoto, who has been associated with gourmet restaurants in Helsinki, Turku, and Göteborg, and who represented Finland at the Shanghai EXPO 2010.

Our first lunch (on October 1) was a hit (Serious Eats agrees), and we’ve got more coming. If you’d like to eat with us, tickets are still available. Chef Luoto, Juliet Kinchin, and I will be there!

http://www.moma.org/explore/inside_out/2012/10/03/finnish-your-lunch/

JezEdit: That salmon soup has always been amongst the top3 school foods for me. So simple, so tasty.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Fuckin' health nazis.

[-(

Hal-9000
10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
So the purpose of the story is highlight what Finnish kids eat for school lunches and there's samples at some European lunch establishments?

oh sure....I'll just jump on a plane, travel 5000 miles to eat some damn fish soup :x

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2012, 05:57 PM
looks tasty

Jezter
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Well, I just wanted to bring it up incase we have some New Yorkers around here and they want to go check it out out of curiosity... and see what our schools feed us. We are very proud of our school lunches. First country to start serving free school meals. Plus, this healthy proper food is regarded to be one factor behind the good education results we have. Feeds the young body and brain with the right kind of stuff to keep them learning and growing.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Free school lunches... what's your income tax rate over there again?

:-k

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Plus, this healthy proper food is regarded to be one factor behind the good education results we have.

:hand:

Go eat a greasy bacon cheese burger.

Jezter
10-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Free school lunches... what's your income tax rate over there again?

:-k

http://www.worldwide-tax.com/finland/finland_tax.asp

Jezter
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
:hand:

Go eat a greasy bacon cheese burger.

Duuuude...you just had to say that... I am hungry as a mofo and my dinner is almost ready. Now I want to take it off the stove immediately and burn my face shoveling it in my facehole.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Duuuude...you just had to say that... I am hungry as a mofo and my dinner is almost ready. Now I want to take it off the stove immediately and burn my face shoveling it in my facehole.

Make it a double and eat 3 days worth of calories in one sitting. Now that's living!

:tup:

Jezter
10-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Make it a double and eat 3 days worth of calories in one sitting. Now that's living!

:tup:

I haven't had a proper burger or pizza in a loooong, long time. I shall rectify the situation this weekend!