PDA

View Full Version : The American Dream

DemonGeminiX
10-04-2012, 02:46 AM
:-k

Out of curiosity, do any of you remember what the American Dream was about? The ideal that people in this country were chasing? What do you guys think about it? What it is, what it was, what it currently means, and what it should mean to people in this country. It's place in our society.

I ask because it's been a long time since I've seen or heard anyone talk about it. I don't see politicians talking about it anymore. Moreover, it doesn't seem like the younger generation in our country really knows anything about it. I find that to be very sad.

And I'd like to know what our non-USA friends think about it. I wanna know if you guys are on the same page with us Americans when it comes to this ideal, about what it means and it's place among people these days.

Now I can see this possibly getting heated, so be respectful, and I'm gonna make this serious for at least the first week/20 pages, whichever passes first, so be cool and discuss the issue seriously.

Just wax philosophic. The American Dream. Go.

RBP
10-04-2012, 03:07 AM
In basic terms, it's life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It's that belief that no matter where you are start, you can do better with creativity, aspiration, and lots of hard work. It means a country where productivity is rewarded, and dreams of success, no matter how you define it, are possible.

I am sure I will have more to add as the discussion moves along. Interesting subject start DGX.

Griffin
10-04-2012, 03:08 AM
I would answer but you didn't tell me which button to push for English.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2012, 03:31 AM
Boiled down, the opportunity to be your own man

Jezter
10-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Well, over here we refer to "The American Dream" when we talk about someone starting from nothing and becoming a successful person with hard work, his/her skills and with just a hint of luck. Then living a successful, a bit flashy life, expanding his or her "empire".

Hal-9000
10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
To travel to America and become anything that you want in terms of work. No government restrictions on where you work, where you live and/or where you go to church. It is your choice.

FBD
10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
free association.

absence of a central planning authority that makes up arbitrary rules for most people to follow, with the well connected having their own set of rules to abide by.

being able to start a business without ten thousand impediments, regulations, licenses, and the ridiculous tax and administrative ball and chain that accompanies it.

respect for the law but with the self esteem and balls to stand up to an unjust law.

a federal government that understands what's in the constitution and doesnt step beyond it.

the american dream has always been about potential, and every time the authorities step in and shape things as they want it, it limits potential for every one of us.

the american dream leads by example and doesnt cram its ideas down other people's throats.

it doesnt create a bar tab implicitly covered by everyone and then the people that run the tab up know that its everyone's money they are spending, and they dont use that money to force their ideology down the rest of the country's throat (or bail out institutions that make bad decisions.)

the american dream calls a spade a spade and if you're insulted by truthful plainspeak, then fk off and go look at your own ignorant ass in the mirror.