PDA

View Full Version : Texas cheerleaders fight for right to wave Bible-passage banners

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske - The Los Angeles Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZy6x2Fr_Oc

HOUSTON -- Texas is football country, and in the small town of Kountze, about 85 miles north of Houston, that means many of the roughly 2,000 residents gather at the public high school on Friday nights to watch the show: the coaches, the players and of course the cheerleaders toting their homemade Biblical banners, or “spirit signs.”

“I can do all things through Christ which strengthens! Phil 4:13.”

“If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31.”

“But thanks be to God which gives us Victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Cor 15:57.”

"Coaches preach devotionals before games. We wanted to show our support for our boys," said cheerleader Meagan Tantillo, who started making the religious signs this year, inspired during summer cheer camp.

Sophomore Macy Matthews said she made the signs to "give glory to God" and to encourage the team.

"It's what motivated the boys each week," said Macy, 15, in a local media report. “I didn't understand why it would be a problem."

But cause a problem it did. The school district banned the signs last month; the cheerleaders sued; a judge reinstated the signs; and on Thursday, the matter again came to court. At stake — a day before the Lions’ next varsity home game — was the order protecting the signs.

The uproar started a few weeks ago when someone notified the Madison, Wis.-based Freedom From Religion Foundation. Organization officials complained to the superintendent, who consulted attorneys and the Texas Assn. of School Boards — and banned the signs.

"It was upsetting,” Macy said.

Fifteen cheerleaders -- a dozen from the high school and three from the middle school -- sued the district in county court.

Churches held rallies to support the cheerleaders and their signs. They petitioned the Texas attorney general, who came out in support of the cheerleaders, then Gov. Rick Perry. They launched a Facebook page that as of Thursday had more than 45,000 followers.

"We aren't backing down," Meagan has said.

With the help of the conservative Plano, Texas-based Liberty Institute, the cheerleaders argue that the district is violating their freedom of religion and speech. District lawyers argue that the signs amount to government endorsement of religion.

Hardin County District Court Judge Steve Thomas agreed with the cheerleaders.

On Sept. 20, Thomas issued a temporary restraining order allowing the squad to continue using the scriptural banners and signs at football games — until Thursday’s hearing.

Supporters of the cheerleaders descended on the courthouse Thursday, several wearing red T-shirts that read "Kountze Lions Strength" and "Kountze faith." The hearing was delayed, however, when the Kountze school board went into executive session before the hearing.

David Starnes, lead attorney for the cheerleaders, said the case is about free speech, not religion. He cited the 1969 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Tinker vs. Des Moines school board that protected students' right to wear arm bands protesting the Vietnam War.

"Students do not shed their constitutional rights when they walk through the school house door," he told the Los Angeles Times on Thursday. "If it's private speech, they can't restrain it."

Superintendent Kevin Weldon also attended the hearing, along with district attorneys. He has said he supports the cheerleaders, but was advised that their signs are illegal.

In 2000, the Supreme Court ruled in Santa Fe Independent School District vs. Doe that student-initiated prayers over a loudspeaker during football games were unconstitutional because they implied school sponsorship of the prayers — a violation of the Constitution’s establishment clause barring government endorsement of religion.

Nine years later, school officials stopped cheerleaders at a Georgia high school from making signs similar to the Kountze squad’s, citing the Santa Fe case.

But Liberty Institute lawyers cite precedents of their own — including the case of a public high school valedictorian outside of San Antonio who was initially told she could not pray during her graduation speech last year, a decision initially upheld by a federal judge. Perry urged the federal appeals court to reverse the decision, which was ultimately overturned.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
STFU keep your beliefs at home

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Free speech and all that, dude.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Whatever why do these people feel the need to push there views on everyone at a football game, time and place

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Whatever why do these people feel the need to push there views on everyone at a football game, time and place

Why do you feel the need to push yours?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Push my nothing? Im all for sign that says go fight win, Im not out there with an Atheist sign trying to push non-belief. And Im sure that school isnt 100% christians, if it was a christian school then do what you like. In a public school shut your whore mouth.

Acid Trip
10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Push my nothing? Im all for sign that says go fight win, Im not out there with an Atheist sign trying to push non-belief. And Im sure that school isnt 100% christians, if it was a christian school then do what you like. In a public school shut your whore mouth.

Except its not the school making the signs, its the students (at their own behest). The students have the right to freely exercise religion in school just like they do out of school.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 04:22 PM
whatever, they can have a bible study at lunch, they dont need to parade it around

Muddy
10-05-2012, 04:23 PM
STFU keep your beliefs at home

Thats a two sided street, you have to leave yours there as well.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
I do, Im not standing out there with a sign

DemonGeminiX
10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
whatever, they can have a bible study at lunch, they dont need to parade it around

The Constitution says they have the right to parade it around wherever whenever, and every red-blooded American who truly believes that the Constitution applies to every citizen of this country, young or old, should believe in their right to parade it around as well. It has to apply to everyone equally, not selectively as one may feel it should be applied when they don't agree with point of view being paraded.

Acid Trip
10-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I do, Im not standing out there with a sign

That's your choice. Just because you are too lazy to make a sign and parade it doesn't mean other people can't.

I never realized you were anti-free speech.

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 04:52 PM
it's an inspirational sign at a football game....much like GO COUGARS GO!

Porky man, you make it sound like there's 10000 people pouring acid on your head :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 04:56 PM
That's your choice. Just because you are too lazy to make a sign and parade it doesn't mean other people can't.

I never realized you were anti-free speech.

I am lazy
Im not against free speech
They will do what they want, I find it irritating just as I find the god hates fags group irritating.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
it's an inspirational sign at a football game....much like GO COUGARS GO!

Porky man, you make it sound like there's 10000 people pouring acid on your head :lol:

Hahahah, Im just talking shit for the most part

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 05:00 PM
:cheerlead: :cheerlead: :cheerlead:

http://i.imgur.com/7RsxX.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Bwhahahahaha, I have that tattoo

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM

yeah on your butthole :lol: :lol:

Muddy
10-05-2012, 05:25 PM

You need a tramp stamp with it.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
My son actually is in a christian school :dance: But, only because I couldnt find any private school that was religion free that wasnt a fucking dump

Muddy
10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
My son actually is in a christian school :dance: But, only because I couldnt find any private school that was religion free that wasnt a fucking dump

You cock licker.. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Bwhahahah, he's education is more important to me then occasional brainwashing that I can correct at home.

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM

The beatnik son?

I knew you had it in you Porkins :tup:

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 05:30 PM
You need a tramp stamp with it.. :lol:

The other day...I saw a butterfly with a tattoo of a whore on it's back....

:dance: :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 05:30 PM
At the end of the day I have to do whats best for him.

Muddy
10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
At the end of the day I have to do whats best for him.

Exactly.. It's hard to beat the Christian set of values. :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 05:43 PM

that's it man...the Bible, in it's most simple form is just a handbook for being a good person..both to other people and yourself.

forget about all of the burning bush, splitting seas, creating people from ribs sort of things...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 05:46 PM

I had to meet with the principle because we didnt go to the church on the weekends, so they called us in to find out where we did go. I had to explain to him that I dont subscribe to the idea of religion (you should have saw his face) But, I explained to him I familiar with the christian morals and we were fine with our son being involved at that level. The principle looked at his VP and then looked at my wife and I and just said "OK" and we left. They were dumbfounded

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I had to meet with the principle because we didnt go to the church on the weekends, so they called us in to find out where we did go. I had to explain to him that I dont subscribe to the idea of religion (you should have saw his face) But, I explained to him I familiar with the christian morals and we were fine with our son being involved at that level. The principle looked at his VP and then looked at my wife and I and just said "OK" and we left. They were dumbfounded

Don't be fooled by the dumbfounded look man...in secret, they were sending out a fleet of dudes from the God Squad in special cars :shifty:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah right in the back of their mind they thought, we if we cant get him for tuition and a tithe at least we'll get the tuition http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnprKsL7KPty_Nf8KHX_jkuNJ27_IkA XP7CR9f4odzkGPchmuJY6jaaw

Hal-9000
10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Yeah right in the back of their mind they thought, we if we cant get him for tuition and a tithe at least we'll get the tuition http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnprKsL7KPty_Nf8KHX_jkuNJ27_IkA XP7CR9f4odzkGPchmuJY6jaaw

laugh out Lord :lol:

deebakes
10-05-2012, 11:42 PM
:pray:

Noilly Pratt
10-07-2012, 11:56 PM
They should use some of the quotes from Song of Solomon...

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission like that of horses. So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled" Ezekiel 23: 20, 21

Ya can't make this stuff up...

deebakes
10-08-2012, 12:05 AM
fuckin' a is that hot :wank:

Leefro
10-08-2012, 01:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI

Teh One Who Knocks
02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
By Leada Gore - AL.com

http://i.imgur.com/8wJTlkP.jpg

The Texas Supreme Court has sided with a group of high school cheerleaders who said their right to free speech was violated when their school told them they couldn't use Bible verses on the signs they made for football signs.

In 2014, an appeals court ruled a suit in the case was moot because the Kountze School District later reversed course and allowed the Bible verses on the signs, Fox News reported. The state's high court said that decision was incorrect and the suit could proceed in order to decide future cases involving religious-themed signs, sending it back to the Beaumont, Texas Court of Appeals.

"This is an 8-0 victory for the free speech and religious liberty rights of all Texas students," says Kelly Shackelford, President and CEO of Liberty Institute, which has represented the cheerleaders. "We are delighted that the court considered this case so straightforward that it did not even require oral argument."

The case dates back to 2012 when middle and high school cheerleaders in Kountze painted Bible verses on run-through banners at football games. The signs contained what the cheerleaders said were positive messages such as Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." All supplies for the signs were purchased by the cheerleaders and their families, they said.

The Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation wrote a letter complaining about the signs, prompting the Kountze superintendent to ban religious messages on banners.

The cheerleaders later filed suit seeking a temporary restraining order to prohibit the ban. The district later changed its policy to allow for the signs but experts said there were still questions about whether the signs were protected free speech.

The Liberty Institute said it will continue its fight to protect the signs through the appeals process.

fricnjay
02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
The thing that really pisses me off about this if this were Islam related no one would have said a DAMN THING! Atheists seem to be tolerant of all religions Except Christianity nowadays. What if it where a Muslim who wanted to wear a burka at the games with her uniform???????? What then??????? Is that exceptionable use of the 1st Amendment but not Bible Versus???? :rant:

Steps Off Soap Box....

:lol:

RBP
02-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Slow your roll there, Satan. :lol:

fricnjay
02-03-2016, 06:52 PM
:dance:

Satan
02-03-2016, 08:07 PM
[-(

He ain't me.