PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Code of Finland Sucks!

Jezter
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
There are not many things I would change in my country, but for as long as I can remember the Criminal Code of Finland has been ridiculous in my opinion. Here wrongdoers do not get punished enough. Today, I was reading the paper as I always do and once again I was angered by what I read. The story went a little like this: Batshit crazy dude attacked an off-duty police officer with two 30cm knives and tried to run him over with a motorcycle. Well... he walked out after two days. About a month later same dude goes to night club, stabs one in the face and chest (he survived luckily), wounds another one and hits a lady with a pint. He already had a sentence from a murder attempt (I assume this was the police officer case, but they didn't specify it in the story). So now they finally arrested him and hopefully he will be properly punished. But how in the fuck can you let that kind of obviously not fit for life walk away after two days? Isn't it quite obvious he will do something very bad very soon...and now innocent people had to pay almost with their lives.

Another older case is where this craaaaaazy crazy 17yo bitch who was sentenced in 1999 to 8,5 years in prison for murder. She got out in 2003 (so she served only 4 years...). Well, then in 2007 she murderer another one by hitting him in the head with a billhook. She got 9 years for that. But what do our wise judges too...let her go into open prison. Why in the fucking fuck would you put clearly insane murdered into an open prison!? So the inevitable happens and she escapes...luckily she was caught quite fast, but still. I don't remember now if she got more time in prison for that or if she was moved to a proper prison...but still. Our system sucks! And this is by no means the only example of how crappy our sentences are. Escaping and doing more bad shit while you are on the run doesn't very often seem to raise the sentence by much at all.

So what in the fucking what is this bullshit? Over here you can kill half a town before they even consider arresting you..and then they give you like a year in prison from which you serve half as first time. I just don't fucking get it. This needs to change.

Are you guys happy how your system works over there when it comes to sentences? Should they be harder in general or softer?

I am sure my coming down with flu has something to do with my rant this time, but I just thought atleast Muddy will get something out of this cuz he likes to poke fun at me for flying Finland's flag high. :nana:

Hal-9000
10-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I used to believe in no capital punishment. Now I sincerely think that the monsters that rape and torture and kill people without remorse are nothing but a strain on the system and at times, live a better quality of life than 50% of our population.

Also, child molesters receive smaller jail sentences than people who kidnap...or get caught for tax evasion...or sell illegal DVD copies.

I wish the whole system would get overhauled and we'd start handing out sentences that fit the crime.

Jezter
10-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I am very much anti-capital punishment, but I thoroughly agree with you on the need for overhaul. It just doesn't fit in my head sometimes why someone who steals food to live gets harsher penalty than someone who has stolen millions by fixing the books for years for example.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2012, 04:07 PM
I am a 100% supporter of capital punishment, for the reasons Hal mentioned and more.

And I agree that the legal systems in the world are fucked up, although in the United States, we definitely do impose harsher sentences on most criminals than in Europe, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. That's why it always pisses me off when something happens criminally and politicians start running their mouths about needing more or new laws. We don't need any more laws, we just need to enforce the laws that already exist and to quit allowing judges to ignore the laws during sentencing.

Jezter
10-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I am a 100% supporter of capital punishment, for the reasons Hal mentioned and more.

And I agree that the legal systems in the world are fucked up, although in the United States, we definitely do impose harsher sentences on most criminals than in Europe, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. That's why it always pisses me off when something happens criminally and politicians start running their mouths about needing more or new laws. We don't need anymore laws, we just need to enforce the laws that already exist and to quit allowing judges to ignore the laws during sentencing.
Yeah... even if you do have some improvement to do, I would be happy if Finland had even close to the same kind of sentences as you do. I often talk about this with my mom (A bit odd subject, but we like to talk about all sorts of stuff) and she always says "they should do it like in the USA!".

Goofy
10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Pretty similar shit happens over here too Jussi, we're far too lenient :| Hang the bastards......

Acid Trip
10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
"Some states are doing away with capital punishment, mine is putting in an express lane." - Ron White

KevinD
10-10-2012, 11:00 PM
"Some states are doing away with capital punishment, mine is putting in an express lane." - Ron White

QFT!!!!