PDA

View Full Version : Want To Move To A Small Town? A Manitoba Community Is Offering Lots For The Low, Low Price Of $10

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2012, 10:55 AM
George Stroumboulopoulos - CBC News

http://i.imgur.com/wWQdY.jpg

As wonderful as small town life can be, it's not always the best of times.

In a world where fast-paced technology and big cities are driving the economy, many small towns are struggling to attract new residents and keep young people from leaving.

Not because it isn't a great town, with great people. But because there aren't as many business or job opportunities as in big cities.

Well, a town in southwestern Manitoba has come up with a bold idea to attract new people to the community.

It's offering plots of land for just $10.

The town is Reston, Manitoba. About 550 people live there. It was founded as a railway point for the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Right now, there's a mini-oil boom happening in Manitoba and Reston is hoping to capitalize by luring businesses and families to the community.

And it seems to be working. The town has put 24 lots up for sale for $10 each. So far, more than half have been sold.

Not only that, but the town is getting offers for lots that aren't even up for sale yet. And officials are talking about expanding the program to other towns nearby.

Plus, for the first time in years, enrollment at Reston's elementary school is up.

Here's how it all works. If someone wants to buy a lot in Reston, they have to put a $1,000 down payment, and follow through with the deal within a year.

If they don't, they lose the down payment. If they do, the municipality will refund $990 once the construction is done and an occupancy permit is issued.

You can read the full policy here. (http://www.rmofpipestone.com/assets/municipal%20residential%20lot%20sales%20policy.pdf )

The municipality's website says it has grown into a "prosperous area" and "each community offers a safe, friendly, and easy-going charm with the quality of life so many people are looking for".

Acid Trip
10-18-2012, 01:23 PM
There are places in Kansas that offer free land as long as you develop it.

http://www.freelandks.com/

I'd rather live in Kansas than Canada. A lot warmer and no Frenchies :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
10-18-2012, 04:00 PM
in that area there would be more native Indians than Frenchies...about the midway point of your country.

10 bucks per lot? Put down a 1000 and buy 10 lots...I wonder how a fella buys this out of province stuff

Teh One Who Knocks
10-18-2012, 04:03 PM
in that area there would be more native Indians than Frenchies...about the midway point of your country.

10 bucks per lot? Put down a 1000 and buy 10 lots...I wonder how a fella buys this out of province stuff

Sounds like it would cost you a lot more than that:

If they do, the municipality will refund $990 once the construction is done and an occupancy permit is issued.

I'm guessing they require you build a habitable structure on the property within a year of purchase or else you forfeit your money.

Hal-9000
10-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah I don't want to build, just own the land :sad2:

Noilly Pratt
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
It's about 80 miles away from the biggest town -- Brandon. Current population 500. Might be a good retirement locale. Regular real estate around there is about 65K for a bungalow home on up.

I'll be willing to bet none of them parlez vous the Francais, AT!

Hal-9000
10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Brandon, MB only has 500 people? :shock:

I thought it was a large city center