PDA

View Full Version : Cremation reveals WWII veteran had 6oz of shrapnel in leg

redred
10-19-2012, 12:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AoUxl.jpg

The family of a WWII veteran have found out just how injured he was after about 6oz (170g) of shrapnel was found in his leg following his cremation.

Ronald Brown, who died last week aged 94, was injured in an explosion while serving in France in August 1944.

Medics left the shrapnel in his left leg as it was near an artery and thought it was safer.

His family said his only complaint about his injury was when he asked that children did not to sit on his knee.

After the war, the Inland Revenue employee later moved to Exeter with his wife.

His daughter, Jane Madden, said the metal fragments showed "how brave he was".

She said: "We were told he just had a bullet in his leg, because he would tell us: 'Careful with me bullet, it hurts'.

Staff at the crematorium in Exeter gave the shrapnel to Mrs Madden after the family requested it - not expecting a bag of metal fragments.

Mrs Madden said: "It sounds macabre, but, after he died, we asked for what we thought was the bullet because my three daughters asked if we could just keep it as memento.

"We then got handed this bag of stuff."

Mrs Madden said the shrapnel did not seem to affect her father's mobility, although she added that it was a "long recovery" from his injures.

She said: "He used to have a stick while he was recovering from his injuries, but it [the shrapnel] only seem to affect him in cold weather.

"I don't think he knew how much was in his leg. He didn't see it.

"The medics just said it was too close to an artery and stitched him back up again."

The discovery had also reinforced the family's pride in their own war hero, she added.

"At the time, we'd go: 'Oh, no. It's another war story', if he started telling us a story. But there's a lot of pride in the family about his service now," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-20001326

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Truly the Greatest Generation

:rip:

redred
10-19-2012, 12:26 PM
:tup:

Acid Trip
10-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Truly the Greatest Generation

:rip:

Too bad they raised the baby boomers to be a bunch of self serving bastards who put this countries future on a credit card.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Are you really "brave" because you got shrapnel in your leg though.

Muddy
10-19-2012, 03:06 PM

No, you are a pussy.

MrsM
10-19-2012, 03:06 PM

I think going into a situation where that could happen (or worse) is brave

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Exactly going into the situation is brave, anyone can get shrapnel in their leg. Even running away :twisted:

Hal-9000
10-19-2012, 06:37 PM
He had 168 grams of twisted metal in his leg....being brave is putting up with the pain and not bitching :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Thats not bravery, tolerance maybe.

Hal-9000
10-19-2012, 06:53 PM
trust me....it is brave :|

and besides...if he wasn't doing his duty for the country, he would have never got that shrapnel. So he was brave by association...

Muddy
10-19-2012, 06:55 PM
You need to trust Hal on this...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2012, 06:58 PM
All Im saying is they are throwing around the word brave, when it has nothing to do with bravery. Going into that war WAS brave, getting shrapnel in your leg is not

Muddy
10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
In Hal we Trust.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Hal was brave when he swallowed my hot load

Muddy
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
*glurpglugggleglaclgluhhhhhhh*

Acid Trip
10-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Hal was brave when he swallowed my hot load

He wasn't brave, he was thirsty.

Hal-9000
10-19-2012, 07:48 PM
All Im saying is they are throwing around the word brave, when it has nothing to do with bravery. Going into that war WAS brave, getting shrapnel in your leg is not

It was brave dammit! :x

now swallow my hot load and save some for your g/f Muddy...I want to see the swap

Muddy
10-19-2012, 07:54 PM
:wtf:

Godfather
10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Amazing stuff, what a tough generation like lance said.

My grandfather died with shrapnel in him too, though he was buried so we never knew how much. He fought in the First Special Service Force, an elite group of highly trained Canadian and American volunteers. He was hit by a shell in Italy after they landed at Anzio and had to crawl back to the field hospital on his own. I believe it was a mile or two on his hands an knees but the way e downplayed things it was probably more. When he got there they were out I beds so they stitched him up and he slept outside until there was a spot for him. Never did get it all out but he came home and worked his back off every day of his life without complaint.

I'm sure this family, like mine is incredibly proud to even be related to such great men

MrsM
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Amazing stuff, what a tough generation like lance said.

My grandfather died with shrapnel in him too, though he was buried so we never knew how much. He fought in the First Special Service Force, an elite group of highly trained Canadian and American volunteers. He was hit by a shell in Italy after they landed at Anzio and had to crawl back to the field hospital on his own. I believe it was a mile or two on his hands an knees but the way e downplayed things it was probably more. When he got there they were out I beds so they stitched him up and he slept outside until there was a spot for him. Never did get it all out but he came home and worked his back off every day of his life without complaint.

I'm sure this family, like mine is incredibly proud to even be related to such great men

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Hal took an arrow to the knee

Shady
10-20-2012, 06:18 AM
Brave is the wrong word to use. Tough mother is more like it.

Goofy
10-20-2012, 01:43 PM
My granddad had his tongue shot off by an Italian soldier in WW2......... he never talked about it though :(

:coat:

Muddy
10-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Hal took a dick to the ass....

Richard Cranium
10-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I heard it was more than one and more than once..

Noilly Pratt
10-21-2012, 05:28 AM
That generation "manned up" and took their lumps with little complaint, so that we could be the next generation who were blissfully unaware of such hardship.

Muddy
10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
That generation "manned up" and took their lumps with little complaint, so that we could be the next generation who were blissfully unaware of such hardship.

Every generation has "manned up" in my country...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/21/ge2y4ujy.jpg

Hal-9000
10-21-2012, 06:56 PM
My granddad had his tongue shot off by an Italian soldier in WW2......... he never talked about it though :(

:coat:

for the love of Pete :lol: ....

was expecting to get all teary eyed you bastid!!

PorkChopSandwiches
10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Every generation has "manned up" in my country...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/21/ge2y4ujy.jpg