PDA

View Full Version : UCI Agrees to Strip Armstrong of His 7 Tour Titles

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2012, 12:05 PM
By GRAHAM DUNBAR AP Sports Writer

http://i.imgur.com/aIxRB.jpg

Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned for life by cycling's governing body Monday following a report from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency that accused him of leading a massive doping program on his teams.

International Cycling Union President Pat McQuaid announced that the federation accepted USADA's report on Armstrong and would not appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling and he deserves to be forgotten in cycling," McQuaid said at a news conference. "This is a landmark day for cycling."

The decision clears the way for Tour de France organizers to officially remove Armstrong's name from the record books, erasing his consecutive victories from 1999-2005.

Tour director Christian Prudhomme has said the race would go along with whatever cycling's governing body decides and will have no official winners for those years.

USADA said Armstrong should be banned and stripped of his Tour titles for "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program that sport has ever seen" within his U.S. Postal Service and Discovery Channel teams.

The USADA report said Armstrong and his teams used steroids, the blood booster EPO and blood transfusions. The report included statements from 11 former teammates who testified against Armstrong.

"I was sickened by what I read in the USADA report," McQuaid said, singling out the testimony of David Zabriskie. "The story he told of how he was coerced and to some extent forced into doping is just mind boggling."

Armstrong denies doping, saying he passed hundreds of drug tests. But he chose not to fight USADA in one of the agency's arbitration hearings, arguing the process was biased against him. Former Armstrong team director Johan Bruyneel is also facing doping charges, but he is challenging the USADA case in arbitration.

On Sunday, Armstrong greeted about 4,300 cyclists at his Livestrong charity's fundraiser bike ride in Texas, telling the crowd he's faced a "very difficult" few weeks.

"I've been better, but I've also been worse," Armstrong, a cancer survivor, told the crowd.

While drug use allegations have followed the 41-year-old Armstrong throughout much of his career, the USADA report has badly damaged his reputation. Longtime sponsors Nike, Trek Bicycles and Anheuser-Busch have dropped him, as have other companies, and Armstrong also stepped down last week as chairman of Livestrong, the cancer awareness charity he founded 15 years ago after surviving testicular cancer which spread to his lungs and brain.

Armstrong's astonishing return from life-threatening illness to the summit of cycling offered an inspirational story that transcended the sport. However, his downfall has ended "one of the most sordid chapters in sports history," USADA said in its 200-page report published two weeks ago.

Armstrong has consistently argued that the USADA system was rigged against him, calling the agency's effort a "witch hunt."

If Armstrong's Tour victories are not reassigned there would be a hole in the record books, marking a shift from how organizers treated similar cases in the past.

When Alberto Contador was stripped of his 2010 Tour victory for a doping violation, organizers awarded the title to Andy Schleck. In 2006, Oscar Pereiro was awarded the victory after the doping disqualification of American rider Floyd Landis.

USADA also thinks the Tour titles should not be given to other riders who finished on the podium, such was the level of doping during Armstrong's era.

The agency said 20 of the 21 riders on the podium in the Tour from 1999 through 2005 have been "directly tied to likely doping through admissions, sanctions, public investigations" or other means. It added that of the 45 riders on the podium between 1996 and 2010, 36 were by cyclists "similarly tainted by doping."

The world's most famous cyclist could still face further sports sanctions and legal challenges. Armstrong could lose his 2000 Olympic time-trial bronze medal and may be targeted with civil lawsuits from ex-sponsors or even the U.S. government.

In total, 26 people — including 15 riders — testified that Armstrong and his teams used and trafficked banned substances and routinely used blood transfusions. Among the witnesses were loyal sidekick George Hincapie and admitted dopers Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis.

USADA's case also implicated Italian sports doctor Michele Ferrari, depicted as the architect of doping programs, and longtime coach and team manager Bruyneel.

Ferrari — who has been targeted in an Italian prosecutor's probe — and another medical official, Dr. Luis Garcia del Moral, received lifetime bans.

Bruyneel, team doctor Pedro Celaya and trainer Jose "Pepe" Marti opted to take their cases to arbitration with USADA. The agency could call Armstrong as a witness at those hearings.

Bruyneel, a Belgian former Tour de France rider, lost his job last week as manager of the RadioShack-Nissan Trek team which Armstrong helped found to ride for in the 2010 season.

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 04:47 PM
it's too bad that there's so many guys in the sport that dope...the one guy that doesn't must get royally pissed coming in 28th every race :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2012, 06:26 PM
What sucks about this is, they have all had it in for Armstrong since day 1. They have convicted him on hearsay and nothing more. He has never once failed a drug test and I would imagine he was the single most tested athlete in any sport.

Did he dope? Who knows, but until they have HARD EVIDENCE against him, this is just pure bullshit.

Muddy
10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
So they dont have any failed tests to back this up?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
So they dont have any failed tests to back this up?

Nope, it's all teammates and such saying that they "saw him do it"

Muddy
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Well what a crock...

Hugh_Janus
10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't think he's helped himself by not saying he's never taken performance enhancing drugs

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
What sucks about this is, they have all had it in for Armstrong since day 1. They have convicted him on hearsay and nothing more. He has never once failed a drug test and I would imagine he was the single most tested athlete in any sport.

Did he dope? Who knows, but until they have HARD EVIDENCE against him, this is just pure bullshit.

And the court in question is saying that because he's not disputing the charges, that implies guilt.

If the guy has never doped, he's taking a strange road in defending himself.

Hugh_Janus
10-22-2012, 06:43 PM
apparently, he's "tired of fighting it" also, its costing him a fortune

Muddy
10-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I think its fishy that the guy got cancer when he was young..

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Tom Green got the same type of cancer in his 20's...maybe something about being treated and considered cured, then getting lung and brain cancer tho...

Muddy
10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Tom Green works at Hardees now doesn't he?

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 07:00 PM
IDK...last time I saw him he was dressed as a chicken and sucking off a goat on stage.....great performance :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-22-2012, 07:01 PM
And the court in question is saying that because he's not disputing the charges, that implies guilt.

If the guy has never doped, he's taking a strange road in defending himself.

Innocent until proven guilty....not guilty because someone thinks so

apparently, he's "tired of fighting it" also, its costing him a fortune

After awhile you need to just cut your losses...if you were spending your money against organizations with unlimited funds for legal teams, how does it pay to keep on fighting when you know the people accusing you will never give up?

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Logically, there is no defense.

He can submit all the blood he wants right now that's clean, but the issue is from past years. So the USADA has testimony that he can't or won't refute.

Both sides can't go back in time to a certain day and say that Lance had drugs in his system.

He's always said - I never failed a test, rather than - I never doped. It's a strange way to address a criminal charge. Coupled with him letting the USADA make their claims, I believe he's guilty. If I was a 7 time winner in a sport and completely clean, I would be doing everything I could to prove them wrong.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Hes made all his money, they arent taking that. Fuck the titles.

Hugh_Janus
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
o rly? :lol:

Lance Armstrong asked to repay $7.5m bonus to insurance firm

By Simon Austin
BBC Sport
A Texas insurance company is demanding the return of $7.5m (£4.7m) in bonuses from cyclist Lance Armstrong.
SCA Promotions covered a performance bonus paid to the American after he won his sixth Tour de France in 2004.
Now that the International Cycling Union (UCI) has stripped Armstrong of his seven Tour titles, SCA will demand the money back from Armstrong.
SCA's lawyer Jeffrey M. Tillotson told BBC Sport: "We will make a formal demand for return of funds."
He added: "If this is not successful, we will initiate formal legal proceedings against Mr Armstrong in five business days (Monday 29 October)."
The insurance policy was taken out by Tailwind Sports, the then owner of the US Postal team, to cover performance bonuses that would be due to Armstrong if he won the Tour.
SCA refused to pay out the money because it argued Armstrong was not a clean rider.
Armstrong took legal action against the company and won, because the contract between the parties stipulated that the money would be payable if Armstrong was the "official winner" of the Tours from 2004 to 2006.
The company was forced to pay money relating to the bonus of $5m, plus $2.5m in interest and legal fees.
SCA will now attempt to recover that sum from Armstrong.
Tillotson added: "This is not a happy day for my client, but he feels Lance Armstrong has brought this upon himself."
On Monday, the UCI ratified the decision of the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) to strip Armstrong of his seven Tour titles - meaning the Texan can no longer be considered the "official winner" of those titles.
Usada had uncovered evidence that Armstrong was involved in "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme" in the history of sport.

Muddy
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Logically, there is no defense.

He can submit all the blood he wants right now that's clean, but the issue is from past years. So the USADA has testimony that he can't or won't refute.

Both sides can't go back in time to a certain day and say that Lance had drugs in his system.

He's always said - I never failed a test, rather than - I never doped. It's a strange way to address a criminal charge. Coupled with him letting the USADA make their claims, I believe he's guilty. If I was a 7 time winner in a sport and completely clean, I would be doing everything I could to prove them wrong.

Usually the US doping agency takes several samples and holds onto them for years just in case new testing methods come up..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
o rly? :lol:

Thats nothing compared to what he made from Nike I bet. But, point made :tup:

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Usually the US doping agency takes several samples and holds onto them for years just in case new testing methods come up..

If they do that, then I'm in Lance's camp. Let them prove it in a lab that those samples are tainted.

Although if he's doing the change every pint of blood in your body gambit after training, they'd be hard pressed to find anything.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-22-2012, 08:25 PM
The samples are probably clean, if he was doping he passed all the tests because he was smart about it. So all the tests that they have will probably be clean. These guys who test dirty are just idiots, they know how long it takes to clean your system, and they know when the tests are. All you have to do is study

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
I was reading that it was his team mates and part of his team that gave evidence.....that is some cold shit man.

I could see competitors that were constantly losing to him...

Muddy
10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
I could see competitors that were constantly losing to him...

And team mates that were always coming up short compared to the messiah!

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
maybe Lance was just a complete dick

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Armstrong..

:lol:

Muddy
10-22-2012, 08:50 PM
He strikes me to be a complete dick.

Hal-9000
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
after being one of the fittest athletes on the planet, dude contracts lung cancer...it ain't fair

lost in melb.
10-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I've been wanting to - and believing - that he might be innocent up until this point.

Muddy
10-23-2012, 12:12 AM
after being one of the fittest athletes on the planet, dude contracts lung cancer...it ain't fair

Who?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Greta Garbo

Hal-9000
10-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Who?

Story ABOVE said that he contracted lung and brain cancer after beating the teste cancer.