PDA

View Full Version : GOP Senate Candidate: 'God Intended' Pregnancies From Rape

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
By Chris Good | ABC OTUS News

http://i.imgur.com/zAjAP.jpg

Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said pregnancies resulting from rape are part of God's plan, tearfully explaining that he only supports abortions when a mother's life is in danger.

"I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said during Tuesday's Senate debate, choking up. Mourdock's opponent, Democratic Rep. Joe Donnelly, opposes abortion except in cases of rape and incest.

After the debate, Mourdock further explained his comment.

"Are you trying to suggest somehow that God preordained rape, no I don't think that," said Mourdock, according to The Associated Press. "Anyone who would suggest that is just sick and twisted. No, that's not even close to what I said."

Democrats wasted no time linking GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney to Mourdock. Earlier this week, Romney personally appeared in a TV ad for the Indiana state treasurer, offering his endorsement.

"Richard Mourdock's rape comments are outrageous and demeaning to women. Unfortunately, they've become part and parcel of the modern Republican Party's platform toward women's health, as Congressional Republicans like Paul Ryan have worked to outlaw all abortions and even narrow the definition of rape," Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said in a statement released to press.

"As Mourdock's most prominent booster and the star of Mourdock's current campaign ads, Mitt Romney should immediately denounce these comments and request that the ad featuring him speaking directly to camera on Mourdock's behalf be taken off the air," she added

"Mitt's man Mourdock apes Akin, reflecting a GOP that is way out of mainstream," Obama strategist David Axelrod tweeted.

Romney's campaign distanced itself from Mourdock's comment.

"Gov. Romney disagrees with Richard Mourdock's comments, and they do not reflect his views," campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said.

Abortion has become a more prominent issue in the presidential campaign in recent weeks, as Mitt Romney told the Des Moines Register that he would not pursue any specific abortion legislation as president and began airing a new TV ad in which a woman touts Romney's support for abortions in cases of rape and incest-a difference of opinion between Romney and his running mate, Paul Ryan.

The Obama campaign hit Romney on abortion soon after, releasing a TV ad of its own that features footage from a 2007 GOP presidential primary debate in which Romney said he would be "delighted" to sign a bill banning all abortions in the U.S.

Missouri Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin said during an interview in August that women's bodies have ways of preventing pregnancy in cases of what he called "legitimate rape." Akin apologized for the comment, but refused to leave the race despite pressure from his own party.

DemonGeminiX
10-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Ya got a winner there, Indiana!

:tup:

Muddy
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
There's the GOP we all know and love... Bunch of Christian whack jobs.

Loser
10-24-2012, 01:21 PM
There's the GOP we all know and love... Bunch of Religious whack jobs.

Fixed for ya ;)

It's not just Christians that believe things happen because of "gods" will.

Acid Trip
10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
There's the GOP we all know and love... Bunch of Christian whack jobs.

GOP has it's whack jobs but at least they aren't the party leaders. Look at who sits atop the Democrat food chain. Biden, Pelosi, Reid, Frank (formerly), Hillary and Obama.

Muddy
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
GOP has it's whack jobs but at least they aren't the party leaders. Look at who sits atop the Democrat food chain. Biden, Pelosi, Reid, Frank (formerly), Hillary and Obama.

Yeah, they're all clowns..

FBD
10-24-2012, 02:11 PM
why is it that to some people, every little last thing that happens is as according to god's will. is there something wrong with god setting up the rules and letting things happen as those rules dictate? does god intend to have people murdered and raped in the first place?

Muddy
10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
why is it that to some people, every little last thing that happens is as according to god's will. is there something wrong with god setting up the rules and letting things happen as those rules dictate? does god intend to have people murdered and raped in the first place?

Can we get a little separation of church and state?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-24-2012, 02:14 PM
praise jesus

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
praise jesus

http://i.imgur.com/Q72tL.jpg

Richard Cranium
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Can we get a little separation of church and state?

Going to need a constitutional amendment for that..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x5JCY.jpg

Acid Trip
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm confused as to how someone (a senate candidate in this case) stating their personal beliefs (a protected right) is a problem. Last time I checked he's free to believe whatever the hell he wants.

He could be like most candidates and say what people want to hear and then change his position. At least he's honest about what he believes.

He's crazy, but at least he's not hiding the crazy till after the election.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
true at least you are fully aware hes a lunatic

Acid Trip
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM

I know I wouldn't vote for him unless his opponent is even crazier.

Muddy
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM

:lol:

lost in melb.
10-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Oops double post sorry!

lost in melb.
10-25-2012, 04:07 AM
I'm confused as to how someone (a senate candidate in this case) stating their personal beliefs (a protected right) is a problem. Last time I checked he's free to believe whatever the hell he wants.

He could be like most candidates and say what people want to hear and then change his position. At least he's honest about what he believes.

He's crazy, but at least he's not hiding the crazy till after the election.

So crazy and stupid :thumbsup:

Iffy
10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
In the interest of full disclosure this is my home state. In no way does this reflect your typical Hoosier

All in all I don't see the problem with his comment overall. I have no opinion on God's will no matter what the situation but Mourdock believes in God and that God wills all things. His statement, while insensitive, holds true to his beliefs. He was not condoning rape nor was he enacting his views on anyone else. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer...though not a very smart one imo

Now looking at this from a pro-life view...
(disclaimer: I am pro-choice)

The baby had nothing to do with the rape of the woman. It was simply a result of. I can understand the animosity that is a distinct possibility from the mother towards the child but there is no guarantee that the child would not grow up to be a perfectly functional adult...well...barring abortion of course...if it is put up for adoption. It's not as if he suggested that the mother be forced to raise the child or was blaming the woman for the rape.

This was an opinion and not a surprising one from a pro-lifer that believes in God

As far as voting for him....if it meant keeping the seat out of the hands of a senator that already has a track record of backing anything Obama related then a stupid comment that won't change anything really doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot

Hal-9000
10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
this is weird...I posted in this thread already....

it went something like this:

Christian here,

No it's not God's will to have a baby as the result of a terrorizing and abusive attack against someone's will. This guy in the story above is a fuckwad.

:tup:

Hal-9000
10-25-2012, 10:34 PM

God gave us some basic rules on how to be good to each other and ourselves.... and then let us make our own decisions. Free will...

It amazes me how some Christians will use the excuse that 'God' made me do it, when rationalizing bad actions up to and including murder.

If God's will is working through anyone, it won't be while raping innocents or slaughtering scores of people with an axe.

Iffy
10-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Assuming there is a god and assuming Hal can comprehend the will of an all powerful being.....

Acid Trip
10-26-2012, 03:14 PM
In the interest of full disclosure this is my home state. In no way does this reflect your typical Hoosier

All in all I don't see the problem with his comment overall. I have no opinion on God's will no matter what the situation but Mourdock believes in God and that God wills all things. His statement, while insensitive, holds true to his beliefs. He was not condoning rape nor was he enacting his views on anyone else. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer...though not a very smart one imo

Now looking at this from a pro-life view...
(disclaimer: I am pro-choice)

The baby had nothing to do with the rape of the woman. It was simply a result of. I can understand the animosity that is a distinct possibility from the mother towards the child but there is no guarantee that the child would not grow up to be a perfectly functional adult...well...barring abortion of course...if it is put up for adoption. It's not as if he suggested that the mother be forced to raise the child or was blaming the woman for the rape.

This was an opinion and not a surprising one from a pro-lifer that believes in God

As far as voting for him....if it meant keeping the seat out of the hands of a senator that already has a track record of backing anything Obama related then a stupid comment that won't change anything really doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot

Great post. :tup: