PDA

View Full Version : Ke$ha, Iggy Pop Fight "Barbaric" Baby Seal Clubbing in Canada

Teh One Who Knocks
04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Us Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/JTFKc.jpg http://i.imgur.com/v0FAt.jpg

Ke$ha and Iggy Pop both agree on one thing: "Canada's club scene sucks!"

The 24-year-old pop star (real name: Kesha Sebert) and 63-year-old showbiz veteran (real name: James Newell Osterberg, Jr.) have joined forces with PETA to launch a global campaign against the clubbing of baby seals. UsMagazine.com has the first look at the singers' eye-catching new ads for the initiative.

The annual clubbing of baby seals begins this week on the ice floes of eastern Canada; this campaign aims to combat the government's attempts to market baby seal fur internationally.

"I was lucky enough to get to watch a bunch of wild seals recently and truly fell in love with these amazing creatures," Ke$ha said in a statement. "Canada gets to be host to harp seals each year during their migration to the ice to give birth which is beautiful and peaceful. But because the babies' fur is so soft, there are people who club and brutally kill these young animals. The Canadian seal slaughter is barbaric and archaic. My music and my fans are part of a movement of youth taking over the world with positive change. I know they’ll help me and PETA ban the Canadian seal slaughter so the only place you see baby seal fur is in a museum."

Iggy Pop added: "Clubbing baby seals is sick and gives Canada a black eye. Don’t let the greed of a few tarnish the image of the whole country."

Prominent Canadians who have voiced opposition to the slaughter include Sarah McLachlan, Peaches, Bryan Adams, Pamela Anderson, and Ryan Reynolds, who penned a blog about it for the Huffington Post. But most politicians in Canada defend the seal slaughter because both the conservative and the liberal parties crave the region's seven swing seats in Parliament.

The two stars plan to encourage their fans to write in their own protest letters to Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Ottawa.

Muddy
04-13-2011, 06:12 PM
I can dig that...

samarchepas
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Funny how it talks about the baby seals...its ILLEGAL to kill them!...sells more I guess ;).

Muddy
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
If they want to really do something they should donate ca$h to Paul Watsons organization... He'll go out on the fucking ice and physically stop people..

RBP
04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I get it... "club scene" :|

MrsM
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
This is in bad taste... but this thread reminded me of it...

http://hostinga.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-01/957warranties_-_void_if_seal_is_broken.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Funny how it talks about the baby seals...its ILLEGAL to kill them!...sells more I guess ;).

:-k :-k

Myth: It is illegal to kill baby seals in Canada.

Fact: Canada's commercial seal hunt is a slaughter of defenseless baby seals. It is true that in Canada, newborn "whitecoat" harp seals are protected from hunting. But as soon as they begin to shed their fluffy white coats—as young as 12 days old—these baby seals are legally hunted by sealers. In fact, 97 percent of the seals killed in the commercial seal hunt over the past three years have been younger than 3 months, and most were younger than 1 month old. At the time of slaughter, many of these pups had not yet eaten their first solid meal or taken their first swim. Sealers prefer to kill the baby seals because their skins are in "prime" condition and fetch the highest prices.

http://www.hsicanada.ca/wildlife/seals/seal_myths_and_facts.html

Hal-9000
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Canadians club baby seals? That's horrible

*cooks up some nice tender veal*

RBP
04-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Canadians club baby seals? That's horrible

*cooks up some nice tender veal*

It's all about cuteness, doncha know....

Hal-9000
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I've had a problem with these mooks clubbing the seals for decades now.Unfortunately I've never agreed with any sort of unnecessary hunting, doesn't matter the animal du jour.

These guys are making boots, plain and simple.And Walmart is still open in my neighborhood so I've never seen the need to have Bengal Tiger fur thongs......wait a minute :oops:

Godfather
04-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Kesha and Iggy Pop should piss off back to lala land :thumbsup:

Amongst other things, the seals are a way of life and the economy for a lot of traditional native communities up north... we've fucked them over enough and pay millions upon millions for it. I'm not up for taking away another multi-million dollar industry and paying it out of pocket. If seals didn't have big dumb eyes and whiskers nobody would give two shits.... Nearly 100% are killed in a humane manor. Those hunting them do so in large part out of necessity. It's poor communities with little else going. Basically.. it's hunt seals or face total poverty.

Here's a wild idea that Jaques Cousteau had: stop worrying about seals and focus on something that's actually endangered

The whole point of sustainability is to ensure that people can sustainably harvest the natural resources of the ecosystems within which they live. There are a lot of environmentalist debates for the seal hunt.

And guess what.... the hunt hasn't been going well because the ice is at such record low levels. Hunters can't even get to the seals. So keep driving your tour buses and gulfstreams year-round rock-star Iggy Pop and Kesha. Soon there won't be enough ice for anyone to find a seal.

Muddy
04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Kesha and Iggy Pop should fuck off back to lala land :thumbsup:

Amongst other things, the seals are a way of life and the economy for a lot of traditional native communities up north... we've fucked them over enough and pay millions upon millions for it. I'm not up for taking away another multi-million dollar industry and paying it out of pocket. If seals didn't have big dumb eyes and whiskers nobody would give two shits.... Nearly 100% are killed in a humane manor.

Is this what a traditional Inuit looks like in Canada?

http://hostinga.hotchyx.com/adult-image-hosting-01/957warranties_-_void_if_seal_is_broken.jpg

Godfather
04-14-2011, 04:12 PM
The majority use rifles nowadays :thumbsup:

Like I said, less than 2% are brought into the boats alive or killed in an inhumane manor according to independent watchdogs.

I think seals are cute... but so are cows, pigs and (to a lesser extent) chickens. And I'm probably going to eat 2/3 at some point over the course of the day.

Muddy
04-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Kesha and Iggy Pop should piss off back to lala land :thumbsup:

Amongst other things, the seals are a way of life and the economy for a lot of traditional native communities up north... we've fucked them over enough and pay millions upon millions for it. I'm not up for taking away another multi-million dollar industry and paying it out of pocket. If seals didn't have big dumb eyes and whiskers nobody would give two shits.... Nearly 100% are killed in a humane manor. Those hunting them do so in large part out of necessity. It's poor communities with little else going. Basically.. it's hunt seals or face total poverty.

Here's a wild idea that Jaques Cousteau had: stop worrying about seals and focus on something that's actually endangered

The whole point of sustainability is to ensure that people can sustainably harvest the natural resources of the ecosystems within which they live. There are a lot of environmentalist debates for the seal hunt.

And guess what.... the hunt hasn't been going well because the ice is at such record low levels. Hunters can't even get to the seals. So keep driving your tour buses and gulfstreams year-round rock-star Iggy Pop and Kesha. Soon there won't be enough ice for anyone to find a seal.

The majority use rifles nowadays :thumbsup:

Like I said, less than 2% are brought into the boats alive or killed in an inhumane manor according to independent watchdogs.

I don't personally have any issues with the local native population doing what they do.. It's the commercial harvesting that I find unsettling.

Godfather
04-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I hear ya.... the dolphin harvesting in Japan is one that really turns my stomach.

Hell, even just documentaries on the produce we enjoy from the supermarket is fuggin' disturbing.

Muddy
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Hell, even just documentaries on the produce we enjoy from the supermarket is fuggin' disturbing.

Thats funny.. :lol: