PDA

View Full Version : Kauto Star retired: Paul Nicholls confirms end of an era

Goofy
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Paul Nicholls has confirmed the incredible Kauto Star, winner of two Cheltenham Gold Cups and five King George VI Chases, has run his final race.

http://i.imgur.com/w20Wi.jpg

Connections have taken their time to make a final decision over whether the 12-year-old should race on, but the champion trainer and owner Clive Smith have decided to call time on a brilliant career.

Writing in his Betfair column, Nicholls said: "The end of an era has finally arrived. Clive was here this morning and we have taken the decision to retire Kauto Star.

Nicholls revealed in September connections would consider giving the legendary chaser one last run in the King George at Kempton on Boxing Day, but after seeing him on the gallops in recent weeks, he feels now is the right time to draw stumps.

"We have had nine superb years with the horse but, after seeing him in his work these past few weeks, myself, Clifford (Baker, head lad) and Dan (Skelton, assistant trainer) were of the opinion that the time had arrived to retire him," Nicholls said.

"Of course, as owner, the final decision rested with Clive, but he agreed that the horse had done enough.

"Don't get me wrong, Kauto looks and feels as vibrant as ever, as those who saw him at our owners' Open Day last month would testify to. He was mad fresh that day and continues to be as alert as ever and very, very well in himself.

"But I suspect Kauto will be like that when he is 20 years old.

"And, deep down, we know he has done enough - and in some ways I think we have to protect him from himself. And maybe ourselves, too. If he did go to Kempton and win or run well, would you really want to run him - or be able to resist the temptation - in the Gold Cup?

"I am not so sure."

Similar questions about whether Kauto Star should be retired were asked last summer, after he was pulled up in the 2011 Punchestown Gold Cup.

But he proved all the doubters wrong with a scintillating comeback win in the Betfair Chase at Haydock before claiming the King George yet again.

"Kauto is signing off in full health and after a season in which he proved so many people wrong by winning a fifth King George and a fourth Betfair Chase, to add to his two Cheltenham Gold Cups and Tingle Creeks," said Nicholls.

"Who wouldn't want to train a horse of this quality any more? He is a once-in-a-lifetime horse, after all.

"Ever since he won on his debut for me at Newbury on December 29, 2004, the horse has consistently proved himself a class apart. And a £1m Betfair Million bonus in 2007 and 16 Grade One wins later, who would bet against him going to Kempton in December and making it number 17?

"But sometimes, you have to listen to your head and your heart, and both told me that retirement was the only option."

http://i.imgur.com/S4vQk.jpg

Goofy
10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Absolute legend of a horse, right up there with Rummy, Shergar and the rest! Glad they've finally decided to retire him, would hate to have seen him badly hurt! Enjoy your retirement big boy, you've certainly earned it :hi:

My all-time favourite racehorse (i even have a framed picture on the wall of Ruby Walsh riding him), has won me a shitload of money and had as big a heart as any horse i've ever seen :D

deebakes
11-01-2012, 02:29 AM
:yum: