PDA

View Full Version : Mentally unstable man pours urine on church altar

Teh One Who Knocks
04-14-2011, 12:43 AM
By Maricella Miranda - St Paul Pioneer Press

http://i.imgur.com/C8Tmb.jpg

With a jar filled with what was suspected to be urine, a man walked to the front of a Lakeville church during a weekend service and poured its contents over the altar and a holy book, authorities said.

"I hate Christians," Steven Richard Fay shouted as an off-duty police officer and a parishioner at All Saints Catholic Church held him until police arrived, according to a criminal complaint filed Tuesday.

Fay, 34, who has a history of mental illness, was charged in Dakota County District Court with felony second-degree property damage.

Although the estimated damage of $550 usually earns a gross misdemeanor charge, Fay's case was charged as a felony because he targeted a religious institution, Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom said.

"It could be construed as a hate-related crime," Backstrom said.

Typically, such a crime becomes a felony when property damage exceeds $1,000.

All Saints was a third full Saturday evening when the incident occurred, said the Rev. Thomas Wilson. It was the first time he had seen Fay at the church at 19795 Holyoke Ave.

Fay, of Lakeville, approached the altar during Mass, turned to face the parishioners and opened a jar, "which contained a yellow-colored liquid believed to be urine," the complaint said. Fay then poured the contents onto the altar's linen and the Book of the Gospels, a volume of the four Gospels of the New Testament Bible.

As Fay tried to leave, an off-duty police officer from South Dakota
identified himself to Fay and tried to arrest him, the charge said. But Fay began swinging at the officer.

Fay escaped the officer's grip by shedding a coat he was wearing. A parishioner then helped restrain Fay, who began shouting, "I hate Christians," the complaint said.

Estimated damage was $350 for the book and $200 for the linen, according to the charge. The damage also desecrated the religious materials, church officials said.

"It was quite likely that it was a mental illness issue," Wilson said.

The church made an announcement to its parish Sunday regarding the incident, Wilson said. However, he declined to comment further about what happened.

Between 1999 and 2008, Fay faced three mental illness-related civil commitment cases in Dakota County, according to court records. Backstrom said he was in the process of tracking down more details, but at least one of those cases resulted in Fay being committed to a psychiatric facility.

A message to Fay's attorney was not immediately returned.

Fay was being held Tuesday at the Dakota County Jail in Hastings. A judge set bail at $40,000 without conditions or $20,000 with conditions, including no contact with the church.

Fay must also undergo a mental health evaluation. His next court hearing is set for May 9.

MrsM
04-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Hmm:-k - looks stable to me :shock::nuts:

Hal-9000
04-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Hmm:-k - looks stable to me :shock::nuts:

mind reader :lol:

wtf...I don't pour my urine on Atheist's furniture (while they're awake)

Fodster
04-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Love the article title "man pours urine"... then the first sentance..."suspected to be urine"....? typical fucking journos..

samarchepas
04-14-2011, 05:26 AM
http://ezpicshare.com/images/ss252.gif

Joebob034
04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Although the estimated damage of $550 usually earns a gross misdemeanor charge...

gross indeed

DemonGeminiX
04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
"I hate Christians," Steven Richard Fay shouted...

"It could be construed as a hate-related crime," Backstrom said.

Genius. :lol:

Muddy
04-14-2011, 04:11 PM
When I first did a quick scan on the article I thought he said " I hate Christmas" :lol:

Godfather
04-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh man the picture alone :rofl: This article would be nothing without it

FBD
04-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Love the article title "man pours urine"... then the first sentance..."suspected to be urine"....? typical fucking journos..

its expected behavior...if you didnt have asswipes deciding that printing something, even if its an opinion, must be proven in a court of law before you can write plainly about it, then you wouldnt have people allegedly dancing around what the repercussions of the

as if, as though, at a glance, at first sight, in all likelihood, intuitively, it appears that, it seems that, most likely, on the face of it, ostensibly, outwardly, plausibly, possibly, probably, professedly, reasonably, reputably, speciously, superficially, supposedly, tangibly, to all appearances

party might be able to sue you for.

FBD
04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh man the picture alone :rofl: This article would be nothing without it

It kinda does have the "I'm presently shitting my pants" look :lol:

Lambchop
04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Best mugshot EVAR!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2qco4nm.jpg