PDA

View Full Version : Who should direct new 'Star Wars' movie? Christopher Nolan? Joss Whedon? J.J. Abrams?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-01-2012, 02:09 PM
by Solvej Schou - Entertainment Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/hSBdt.jpg

Breathe, Star Wars fans, breathe. Maybe lie down a minute.

Following Tuesday’s nerd-shattering announcement that the Walt Disney Company is buying Lucasfilm, and the plan includes Star Wars: Episode VII, in early development and hoping for a 2015 release, the speculative race is on for who should direct.

Should it be Christopher Nolan, who exploded open the Batman franchise? Or Star Trek reboot master J.J. Abrams? Or Joss Whedon, riding the superhero tidal wave of this year’s The Avengers? Lucasfilm founder George Lucas, who wrote and directed the 1977 Star Wars original and the later prequels, will work as a creative consultant on Star Wars: Episode VII, so love him or hate him, he won’t be returning to helm the next film.

Here are our potential picks:

Christopher Nolan
Nolan is a genius at manipulating a genre to make it cool, darkly menacing, and new, as he did with the past three Batman films, elevating Heath Ledger’s Joker to Oscar-winning, cult status in The Dark Knight. Nolan could infuse the sci-fi fantasy franchise with grit and great character development.

Peter Jackson
Jackson is another director who has box office hit blockbuster credentials and smarts prime for a return to Star Wars. The same attention he places on knock-out special effects and pinpoint ensemble casting, as in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and the upcoming Hobbit movies, he could pour into this.

Joss Whedon
Whedon, a geek fan’s dream director, is under contract by Marvel, and slated to direct the sequel to The Avengers, so it’s highly unlikely that he’d be freed up to direct. But he’s also the best kind of Star Wars director pick: someone who can balance dark, twisty humor, fluid action, and subtle character development (example: The Hulk as an approachable, sloppy guy in The Avengers, until he goes big and green). Original Buffy Sarah Michelle Gellar inheriting Princess Leia’s crown? Why not?

J.J. Abrams
Producing and writing television and movies across the board, his name is all over the place — from TV’s Revolution to the latest Star Trek films. After making Star Trek movies fresh, epic, and fun again with the 2009 release and the hotly anticipated upcoming sequel, Abrams is ripe to take on another sci-fi tour-de-force. He’s saucy and smart, and adds a sleek visual shine, plus spot-on casting.

Catherine Hardwicke
It’s about time a woman with cred directs a Star Wars reboot, and Hardwicke, as director of the first mega hit Twilight movie and last year’s Red Riding Hood, is adept at mining the psychological complexities of fantasy. She could take Star Wars to new heights, and also show that male directors aren’t the only ones out there to take on fanboy favorites.

Guillermo del Toro
Mexican director Del Toro, transitioning smoothly from Spanish to English language films, has become a sought-after director when it comes to BIG, monster-filled sci-fi. His upcoming Pacific Rim, making fanboys scream at Comic-Con, shows he can make blockbusters, following from fan favorites Hellboy and the beautifully filmed, strange creature-filled world of 2006 fantasy Pan’s Labyrinth.

Alfonso Cuaron
Cuaron, another Mexican director with international clout, shot some needed darkness into the Harry Potter franchise, directing 2004′s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. He’s a stickler when it comes to meaty, soul baring character development, something a new Star Wars film could use to elevate it from an effects juggernaut to a deeply felt hit. He’s jumped into sci-fi already with 2006′s stunning, realistically scary Children of Men.

Muddy
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Tim Burton..

DemonGeminiX
11-01-2012, 02:29 PM
:-k

Out of that list, I would give Guillermo Del Toro a shot.

Muddy
11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Quentin Tarrantino.

DemonGeminiX
11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Quentin Tarrantino.

:huh:

Fuck no! I'd rather have Kevin Smith than Tarrantino.

deebakes
11-02-2012, 01:07 AM
:huh:

Fuck no! I'd rather have Kevin Smith than Tarrantino.

:+1:

Muddy
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
:sarcasm:

deebakes
11-02-2012, 01:20 AM
:hand: as if

Shady
11-02-2012, 05:56 AM
I think Kevin Smith is a big enough of a fanboy to do it justice and honor the legacy that should be Star Wars.

Either that or Disney uses its secret technology that is keeping walt disney alive and bring Irvin Kershner back from the dead.

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 04:30 PM
J.J. Abrams...he did a good job keeping some of the old Star Trek references in his movie version. (Chris Pine was great as young Kirk and young Bones made me howl :lol:)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 04:33 PM
J.J. Abrams...he did a good job keeping some of the old Star Trek references in his movie version. (Chris Pine was great as young Kirk and young Bones made me howl :lol:)

Too bad instead of following the Star Trek canon, he had to use "different time line" to make the flick :|

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah the time line thing is getting old....I enjoyed the acting of Pine, Quento and the dude who played Bones. I liked the various little nods....green chick, Kirk being a total upstart and the Kobayashi Maru backstory.

I thought Pegg was well-cast as young Scotty, didn't like his story and how they found him though.

redred
11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
James Cameron :tup: he tried with avatar now give him the real thing

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah the time line thing is getting old....I enjoyed the acting of Pine, Quento and the dude who played Bones. I liked the various little nods....green chick, Kirk being a total upstart and the Kobayashi Maru backstory.

I thought Pegg was well-cast as young Scotty, didn't like his story and how they found him though.

I agree on the casting and whatnot, didn't care for it as a Star Trek film though....good sci-fi movie, horrible Star Trek film IMHO

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 04:43 PM
One part that literally made me pause the movie...

young Kirk and Spock are arguing on the bridge over a course of action and Kirk sits in the captain's chair, reclines exactly as older Kirk used to and Spock walks by quickly - OUT!

:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
What about Jon Favreau

Acid Trip
11-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I want to know who is writing it first.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 04:54 PM
I want to know who is writing it first.

http://i.imgur.com/XK2kW.jpg

Acid Trip
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XK2kW.jpg

We're doomed.

DemonGeminiX
11-02-2012, 04:57 PM
James Cameron :tup: he tried with avatar now give him the real thing

:x

Go to your room, now!

[-(

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Spike Lee? :-s

We'll get a full Lando Calrissian backstory from the slaving planet Auntjemimah II :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Spike Lee? :-s

We'll get a full Lando Calrissian backstory from the slaving planet Auntjemimah II :tup:

:shock:

:lmao:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Bwhahhahaha

Muddy
12-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Probably.. That mother fucker can bitch bitch bitch...