PDA

View Full Version : 'Single mom, sorry!': The 'tip' one woman left after enjoying a lavish $138 meal

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
By Daily Mail Reporter

A woman has managed to incite a riot on Reddit after she allegedly left the following 'tip' after dining at an expensive restaurant: 'Single mom, sorry.'

The waiter's friend and fellow server posted a photograph of the receipt, blasting the woman for blaming motherhood for her lack of social graces and general decency add then adding 'Thank you, it was great' at the bottom.

'I'm sure $140 could have gotten you and your kids a week worth of groceries, but instead you spend it one meal?!' Redditor PhoenixSongFawkes wrote. 'For shame!'

http://i.imgur.com/szMx8.jpg

Several single mothers refuse to belief the receipt is real, saying the Redditor is exacting a vendetta against them.

Thousands of outraged Redditors have commented on the post, musing on the woman's excuse as well as whether or not the waiter was right to complain.

'I'm a single Mom, and this is bullsh*t. What exactly are you teaching your kids? ... Dear Parents of all kinds - your kids are watching you and learning,' RedheadedBanshee wrote.

Many people said that the woman should not have gone out to eat if she couldn't afford the gratuity.

PhoenixSongFawkes said he and his friend get bad tips all the time, but this one really enraged him.

'The point is, it doesn't matter if she tipped or not. The point of this post was that her writing 'sorry single mom' was unnecessary,' he wrote.

'It was to show that someone was ridiculous enough to come into a place, and use the fact that their a single mom to not tip. Then to say everything was great... There are many times we only get a few tables at night. We depend on those big tickets to make money.'

He also called the note 'insulting' and 'disrespectful,' especially coming from someone who claims to live on a budget and should understand the plight of the waiter, who makes little more than $2 an hour.

Other people, however, questioned the legitimacy of the receipt.

'I refuse to believe a single mom left this crappy tip,' Lindsay Cross , a blogger on Mommyish, a website devoted to parenting.

'Honestly, the more I think about how anyone would do this to a waitress, the more I think it’s likely that this was just a very awful prank to make single moms look bad.'

She continued: 'Mostly, I think this bill is a fraud because I’ve met very few single mothers who expected to get special treatment for their status. They’re just hoping no one holds their situation against them.'

MailOnline could not independently confirm the validity of the receipt, but the Reddit user adamantly defends its legitimacy.

Muddy
11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Wow. I bet it's a fake.

Loser
11-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Fucking asshats. It's called a "tip" for a reason.

Yes, it's nice if people leave a tip, but don't piss and moan if people don't leave one.

Doing something like this would get someone fired if that were my restaurant.

Muddy
11-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Fucking asshats. It's called a "tip" for a reason.

Yes, it's nice if people leave a tip, but don't piss and moan if people don't leave one.

Doing something like this would get someone fired if that were my restaurant.

These servers make $2.00 an hour from the establishment, and count on your tips to be able to provide the service to you. Surely you're not this daft...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 12:57 PM
And then some bitch comes in and spends $138 on a meal and says she can't leave a tip?

minz
11-02-2012, 12:59 PM
These servers make $2.00 an hour from the establishment, and count on your tips to be able to provide the service to you. Surely you're not this daft...

That speaks more about the employer than it does about the woman who didn't tip, perhaps if they paid a decent living wage this wouldn't be an issue and for a bill of $183 to pay staff $2 an hour is quite honestly an insult.

Muddy
11-02-2012, 12:59 PM
In the better restaurants in my town it's written on the menu that gratuity will be factored into your bill for party's of 6 or more.. It's a lot of work waiting on a bunch of slothy fat fucks hand and foot...

Muddy
11-02-2012, 01:00 PM
That speaks more about the employer than it does about the woman who didn't tip, perhaps if they paid a decent living wage this wouldn't be an issue and for a bill of $183 to pay staff $2 an hour is quite honestly an insult.

It's got nothing to do with the establishment.. It's a minimum wage set by the govt. Properly tipped servers can make upwards of $100 an hour...

Acid Trip
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
It's got nothing to do with the establishment.. It's a minimum wage set by the govt. Properly tipped servers can make upwards of $100 an hour...

This. Servers make $2.15 /hr + tips and they know that when they accept the job.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2012, 03:01 PM
If you arent going to tip then go to fast food, unless the service was horrible. This lady is a cunt

Acid Trip
11-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Wow. I bet it's a fake.

It looks fake to me too. The tip handwriting and signature look like the same person, but the "Thank you it was great" looks as though someone else wrote it.

The top looks like a man wrote it and the bottom a woman.

Muddy
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
I tip the fuck out of a server... Remember me.. Cause I want something special next time.. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
I tip the fuck out of a server... Remember me.. Cause I want something special next time.. :lol:

If I get good service and the waiter/waitress is pleasant, then I always tip way more than the 15%. I've tipped 50% before for excellent service (and because the waitress was hot)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I start at 20% and let the servers service figure out where we go from there. I grew up with my parents working in the restaurant business.

Acid Trip
11-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Are we talking about strip clubs or restaurants? :d

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 05:51 PM

I don't agree with this at all. When they applied for the job the wage was outlined. A tip is just that...something extra for good service. If the tip is such an implied cost, it should be prebuilt into the cost of the items and nothing further is given. Why should I give some slow server 15% of the cost when they're getting paid in the first place?

We were just out for my Dad's B-day dinner at the most expensive steakhouse in the city....10 people, no alcohol and the bill came to over 750 bucks. They used the 'built in' gratuity for 15% and the service was less than great. It was a Monday and a cold night, not many other people there. And that mook got 112.50 from us????

:hand:

If the service is there, I tip. All that being said...the woman in the story should have left one as I agree with the statement of - she can afford to go out for 140 dinner, she can throw 10 bucks down...

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2012, 05:53 PM

RBP
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
:hand: pull that hand back (PCS), you didn't read all of it

*for the record, I always tip...even the time we were in Banff and got ignored/treated like dirt until we ordered about 300 bucks worth of food/drinks. Then the asshole waiter got the ol college tip :lol: (handfuls of change)

Muddy
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
:talktothehandbitch:

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
no tip for you then I guess [-(

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Here's a tip - if it's raining, wear your gumboots! :tup:

Muddy
11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Here's a tip - Stand by your man.

Hal-9000
11-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Here's a tip...

*ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

Loser
11-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Did she choose their pay or profession for them?

Yes, it's customary to leave a tip, but if she's broke, then so be it. Don't post shit like this on the internet because your chosen profession doesn't pay you enough.

Want to make more money? Go back to school, get a fkin degree and get a real job.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2012, 01:16 AM

Yes, it's customary to leave a tip, but if she's broke, then so be it. Don't post shit like this on the internet because your chosen profession doesn't pay you enough.

Want to make more money? Go back to school, get a fkin degree and get a real job.

Or how about this? Don't go out an spend $138 fucking dollars on a meal and then cry poverty saying you can't leave a tip because you're a "single mom". I want my fucking welfare money back bitch.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2012, 01:16 AM

Or how about this? Don't go out an spend $138 fucking dollars on a meal and then cry poverty saying you can't leave a tip because you're a "single mom". I want my fucking welfare money back bitch.

RBP
11-03-2012, 04:21 AM

O.o

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Repost

RBP
11-03-2012, 05:27 AM
you're a repost :x